Thread: NICA

NICA

Trying to start a xc mtb team at the school where I teach. Its a public hs in a fairly depressed area (socio-economically mixed, but more on the poor side of the spectrum) of VT. Anyone NOT at a well-to-do public or private school have any experience with this? Anyone in New England or NY have kids on a team or coach?

Looking for opinions, experiences and advice. Also ridicule 'cause the internets are fun.

Danke.

I'm not involved with NICA, but I have some good clients that started- and currently run- the Georgia HS league. I'd be happy to put you in touch with them, if you want to talk with those guys.

Our school district wanted nothing to do with having a team at the high school so my daughter has been racing as an independent. She came in 2nd overall for freshman girls, first for sophomore and 4th for jv this year. I might choose to do it outside the school sphere if I was going to start a team just so you have the freedom to travel without the schools influence (ie; buses) and train when and where you choose.

There is a new high school race league in New England though. Look into it.

NICA

I'm in VT as well and have thought about starting a team at my school. I've looked into this as well and think it's pretty regional and private school oriented in VT. No budget at my school for it, but I bet I could field a team for a club race or two this fall. PM me your number and let's chat.
    Last edited by milestogo; 07-08-2016 at 03:42 PM.

My wife was marginally involved with the team at our local charter middle school in Utah. We could put you in touch with the right people here, but I haven't been in touch with the New England racing scene since the '90s.

Thanks all. I'm awaiting administrative approval, and then I have to convince kids to do it. I have emails out to the Lakes Region Interscholastic Race League, some coaches in the region and PMs forthcoming to some of yas.

I'm stoked.

Quick bump to say my student-athletes raced this past Wed in the NNEHSMTB series and had a ball. Awesome set up put on by some really dedicated coaches. We're an official team now and will be in perpetuity and this race series provides a ton of opportunity. MTBs for any and all kids- a good thing.

Thanks for the various help and advice I got from the board.

A friend of mine coaches a team in Tahoe. She had a phrase that made me laugh- "Give a kid a bike and they'll never have money to buy drugs". Come to think of it, I think I had just broken something on my bike while we were on a ride.

Good on you for starting a team, and congratulations on the success. I wish I had the opportunity to join a MTB team in high school. I might have smoked less pot. Maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgnar View Post
    A friend of mine coaches a team in Tahoe. She had a phrase that made me laugh- "Give a kid a bike and they'll never have money to buy drugs". Come to think of it, I think I had just broken something on my bike while we were on a ride.

Good on you for starting a team, and congratulations on the success. I wish I had the opportunity to join a MTB team in high school. I might have smoked less pot. Maybe.
    Running and racing mtb definitely presented a conflict for me as a high school student. I loved blazing the herb and am very functional stoned in most environments, but I hated being stoned for running anything over the 100m and riding the bike hard. It definitely cut into my schooltime blazin'.

More an access to opportunity thing for these kids than a keep 'em off the streets thing. This school is in a community that is pretty dang poor, so having a real race series on cool trail networks to aspire to 1/2 a dozen times a fall- all for $10 a pop- pretty awesome. Getting them on decent rides is proving challenging, but it's coming together slowly. Even on their beater bikes, though, the NNEMTB regulars made them feel really welcome. Its a truly great scene and my kids were over the moon. They practiced hills today while I picked up a slash cost used 29er for the fleet. Wed gravitylover is dropping off a project frame and parts for the student-athletes to play with. Woodshop kids are building us a repair stand. Trail project on our own school land in the spring. This stuff is the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    My wife was marginally involved with the team at our local charter middle school in Utah. We could put you in touch with the right people here, but I haven't been in touch with the New England racing scene since the '90s.
    Do you drive a gray Toyota with a sticker of your guy in it? I was behind one yesterday and thought of you.