Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thumbs up

I find this incredible. For a bunch of people that bascially only know each other from the internet can come together and create such a tight knit community.

I admit when the original ski summit was first proposed I was skeptical that it would actually happen. I was dead wrong. When a new company was first proposed I was a still a little skeptical, but after the success of the summit I was a hopeful. Now the maggots want to create their own site. I must say that I believe it could happen.

Originally posted by BakerBoy:
    [QB]I would like to give a big NO to www.powdermaggot.com
    QB]
    www.tffkapmdc.com?
    The forum formerly known as powdermag dot com

We're gonna have a problem when we want to change that to the symbol

Talking

Originally posted by bad_roo:
    <STRONG>In a manner worthy of Pol Pot,</STRONG>
    Just preserving the first confirmed Pol Pot reference by a "maggot," or whatever we're called over here.

Nate’s list of needs from the board:

1. Board Topics to include; Chatter, Skis Swap, Tech talk, Teletalk, backcountry info, and Trip reports.
    2. Picture posting without watermarking.
    3. Video hosting.
    4. Personal message capability
    5. Chat.

List of nice features:
    1. Personal page with buddy and contact list information
    2. Public personal page that is customizable as a “Whois” feature

Supporting ideas
    1. Make payment for the BB voluntary
    2. Make picture and video hosting contingent on payment.
    3. Utilize TGR’s generocity but, maintain a separate identity (get our own URL and have a link to TGR (maybe give away some picture hosting space with the purchase of a TGR flick. Maybe we could get some of the other movie companies to kick in a little schwag or cash in exchange for linking to their sites and maintaining active connections with them (jargon speak increase the extracommunity buy in).
    4. See if we can’t schedule chat sessions with some of the “Rockstars”

What I can do:
    1. I have some web design experience, but others have far more.
    2. I do have access to a substantial library of topo and other spatial data that is collected from publicly available sources. So if we want maps made for any reason I would gladly volunteer my time and effort.
    3. I’ll provide a small amount of money for start up costs (can’t really afford much, but I’ll give what I can).
    "if the city is visibly one of humankind's greatest achievements, its uncontrolled evolution also can lead to desecration of both nature and the human spirit."
    -- Melvin G. Marcus 1979

Given recent developments, if we were to move to another site, i would like owens to be in charge of the bulletin boards and kevindineen and metcalf in charge of the general content.
    Last edited by AH; 10-04-2003 at 05:43 AM.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by bad_roo:
    <STRONG>In a manner worthy of Pol Pot,</STRONG>
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Schmear:

<STRONG>Just preserving the first confirmed Pol Pot reference by a "maggot," or whatever we're called over here.</STRONG>
    __________________________________________________ __

Gravitators?

Nice to see the wheels are in motion for a new home.

One logistical problem I can forsee:

During the ski season, who's gonna do the all the work on a skiing-related web site? A bunch of skiers? Yeah, right!

Workin' on a new site takes time, and that time would be spent in front of a 'puter instead of on the slopes.

I personally am fine with staying here @ TGR.

PS - Owens, I love the Detroit Tigers color scheme.

As I really don't want to say it, I think that I could do the HTML related stuff. Seeing as I'm in the Mid-Atlantic, shouldnt be many epic powder days AH, if you need somebody to post news or whatever contact me: ajanido at comcast dot net

I humbly volunteer to help out..I am a mainframe programmer for $$, but have been to web development school and have some experience and knowledge to offer.

I also might be able to help with the design on the pages

I'm currently working on a new design for a dutch site, that has about the same content (we can work modular) and is forum based. www.skizone.nl/forum/index_new.php is the url. Almost everything on that site is dynamically generated (even the header-pictures), so it can easily be custom-fit.

If people like that, i could port stuff like that to a new site..

That design actually looks pretty efficient. All we need is a custom Banner and logo.

AH that looks sick. pull the motha fukin trigger.

wow.....u guys rock, its amazing that this can actually be pulled together....rock on

Originally posted by Schmear
    Just preserving the first confirmed Pol Pot reference by a "maggot," or whatever we're called over here.

That's a negative, ghostrider.

Not the first, but definitely the most recent. Confirmation? yeah right...

Thumbs up

Originally posted by AH
    I'm currently working on a new design for a dutch site, that has about the same content (we can work modular) and is forum based. www.skizone.nl/forum/index_new.php is the url. Almost everything on that site is dynamically generated (even the header-pictures), so it can easily be custom-fit.

If people like that, i could port stuff like that to a new site..
    Looks damn good to me, I say go for it.

As cool as owens and TGR have been I really don't think we can stay here. There's only the one forum here and with the volume of posts we generate we really need at least seperate chatter/techtalk/skiswap forums. I'm not a big fan of the content banner at the top of the page either.

update: Tough weekend, and typical Monday. 5000 users wondering why their 'puters aren't working.

No go on the freebie hosting. When we looked at what would be required for storage & the speed required to facilitate it...It was just too much. We use that system for backup, as well as a ftp server. We can't risk putting too much of a load on it. Sorry, I tried to get the hookup!

Anywho - I'm still in for any assistance needed w/ design or maintenance.
    We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need? ~ Lee Iacocca