Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I think that a maggot site is a great idea, however, it could turn into a logistical nightmare. Owens has a great idea trying to incorporate it into this site.

I also post/read on a 4x4 bulletin board that has a volunteer pay mode that seems to work pretty well and has lots of good information for their sport http://www.pirate4x4.com they are almost as tight a group as the maggots and damn near as entertaining.

Id gladly do what i can to help with any such project.

Im a comp science student at montana state, am very familiar with mysql and am php conversant.

drop me a line at fez at m-squareddesign.com

of course, ill be around!
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

I'd throw in a few bucks in a heartbeat, I just want the forum back that brought me endless stoke, inspiration, and happiness.

I will pay for the domain name out of my own pocket. www.powdermaggot.com I dont' have to be a person setting it up or knowing the codes. I will pay the first year domain fee for it. I give you my word on that. 50bucks is nothing for what you guys have given me.

Man it is a bitch editing when you are druntk

Originally posted by TJ.Brk:
    <STRONG>I will pay the first year domain fee for it. I give you my word on that. 50bucks is nothing for what you guys have given me.

Man it is a bitch editing when you are druntk</STRONG>
    TJ, pass out already you drunk bastard.

And dont give network solutions your money if you can avoid it. Those bastards make primedia look like altruistic angels.

This new 'feature' they have of forwarding all unregistered urls to their site is bullshit.

I can register urls for $15 a year through my host company. So could hook it up there. I'm sure any of the other geeks could do the same.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

Or if you all want. I could incorporate it into my site. I Have a chatroom already. I'll pay for the upgrade. I have image loading. Oh and I left the control of editing to another maggot. Me cassa ei su cassa. No I'm not doing this for self promotion. I have a free site. I did my site under the way we all wish we could find out info about a resort for free. And I would leave control to a maggot voted board if need be (except for info needed for my resort area, but input from all, good or bad will always be used). I even have a maggot photo page started already.

but if not, I will pay for the www.powdermaggot.com domain name for a year to get us there. And leave who is running it up to a vote by all.

[ October 02, 2003: Message edited by: TJ.Brk ]

I think the best we can do is create our list of needs and take it from there. ONS has been supersupportive, so I think it's logical that we try to set ourselves up @ tgr, which saves us money and fragmentation...

Thumbs up

Originally posted by AH:
    <STRONG>I think the best we can do is create our list of needs and take it from there. ONS has been supersupportive, so I think it's logical that we try to set ourselves up @ tgr, which saves us money and fragmentation...</STRONG>
    A well put and constructive point to think about. And ONS has done nothing but be supportive in our time of need. Thank you for bringing a clarifying viewpoint for us all to realize. Again thank you. We need to be greatful, and think of all things that will fit our collective needs. Bump for you dude.

Geez Teej, get in the cab. G'nite.

Originally posted by Schmear:
    <STRONG>Geez Teej, get in the cab. G'nite.</STRONG>
    no way man. I'm pissed and I have a half a bottle to go through yet. Your just goinng to have to deal with me being a stupid drunk jarhead awhile longer until I wake up tomorrow and see what an idiot I've been. And remember I said it first

Originally posted by TJ.Brk:
    <STRONG>

no way man. I'm pissed and I have a half a bottle to go through yet. Your just goinng to have to deal with me being a stupid drunk jarhead awhile longer until I wake up tomorrow and see what an idiot I've been. And remember I said it first
    </STRONG>
    just wanted to get this quoted before you sober up and start editing.
    Ben Franklin

I would like to give a big NO to www.powdermaggot.com That name and title has been taken from us, and there is no need to dwell on it any longer. We were a group before the Powder Mag website, we are now at TGR, and probably would be beyond it. So no references to Powder Mag.

Working things out here would be great, but it definitely might scare some people away (TGR and all), and I wouldn't feel right about advertising it (no offense).
    OOOOOOOHHHH, I'm the Juggernaut, bitch!

Originally posted by BakerBoy:
    <STRONG>I would like to give a big NO to www.powdermaggot.com </STRONG>
    Seconded. Something skiing related but we need to move on.

Thumbs up

Hi,
    i've emailed AH already, but i'd be happy to offer any help i can. I've got alot of technical skill/experience of building websites (technical not design tho! my graphic design skills are on a par with stevie wonders)

Originally posted by BakerBoy:
    <STRONG>I would like to give a big NO to
    Working things out here would be great, but it definitely might scare some people away (TGR and all), and I wouldn't feel right about advertising it (no offense).</STRONG>
    What would it take to change that? An alternate url?

Vertigo, I'm at work, I'll check my mail when I get home, thx for the help.

Thumbs up

hey all

i'm a new to the maggot game. i was trying to get going on the powder board the last few weeks but had some registration problems, then i saw things going whack and followed you all over here. anyway...

i have gotten quite a kick out of the maggot community and want'ta help out with the new board if i can. what i have to offer is graphic design skill. i'm damn familiar with building graphics for sites and interfacing with site builders. i also am well versed in logo and branding development. i think i could work up a pretty fresh logo and look for the new maggot site/board.

right now i'm on the mend from reconstructive shoulder surgery and i got nothing but time for the next week n' a half. i could start developing some logo ideas if that's cool with you all. could also work on some possible new names if you like. i don't want to step on toes though. if you already have a preferred designer you like to work with just let me know and i'll back the hell out.

also as a means for kicking up some funds for the site, what about selling some merch down the road? hoodies/hats/stickers with the logo on it. could muster some good funds.

let me know if i can help

bc-flow

Lightbulb

How about this for a solution:

Instead of requiring an entirely new board, a new migration, competing with TGR, etc...

Negotiate a partnership with TGR. TGR would continue to host the forums and the new domain could route to the forums. This has been done by several sites including AR-15/WeaponsForums.com wchi operates more than 4 domains taht all access the same forums.

This prevents forum chaos but still allows the room on the new site for any contenet and various other desirables that cannot be achieved here on TGR. The new site can be used for that. The crosslinking between the sites can be quite extensive as well. TGR would benefit because it would generate business for TGR.

AN IDEA OF A RESULT would be a seamless integration of the forum based on TGRs site into the new site and a varied topbar based upon the original domain used to access the site (TetonGravity.com or the new site). The new site would have a permanent TGR ad at the top and a menubar to access the other features of the new site. If a user accessed the forum from the tetongravity.com site, it would be totally at their discretion whether they would have a link at the top to the new site (it woudln't be needed since hte new site and it's url would obviously be mentioned constantly in the forum).

If you are dead set on a new site, a partnership with TGR would be infinately better than going it alone IMO. Use existing infrastructure and keep the costs down and make logistics easier! But first...

WHAT EXACTLY WILL THIS NEW SITE OFFER?

What is it that the new site would have that is not being or cannot be happily done here? Is there anything? If so, that should be discussed before jumping out to make the new site so you know 1. Whether its needed. 2. What you are going to need to accomplish it.

Maybe all we want is a domain that redirects directly to the TGR forum (with TGRs blessing)?

[ October 03, 2003: Message edited by: SummitCo1776 ]
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

I love the idea. Hopefully with the help of some web savy people there will soon be an all maggot stoke site. I'm not terribly good with web design, but I have a non-maggot friend who is, I'll talk to him about it.

Peace out,
    Ben

It will offer independence. As has been mentioned ad nauseum ONS is a gracious host and a killer not to be trifled with, but this is a TGR site. Whilst ONS would welcome stoke from other film makers etc it's doubtful they'd feel comfortable promoting their wares on a TGR site and this could lead to angst. What's more, if we had a site run by ourselves, it would remain run by us. What if ONS was to decide he needed to devote more time to running his other business operations or someone at TGR found a more cost effective way of hosting websites? Don't shoot me BTW.

Think back to the original concept behind PMGear - the independent think tank. That's what the new site could become with a range of bolt on extras that you want.

* How about biglines style picture hosting with no logos plastered over your pictures?
    * How about an automated ebay trawler that sifted all the bargains of interest for your persual?
    * How about a whole bunch of webcams that actually work alongside mountain weather forecasting all under one roof.
    * Plus a bulletin board that's never going to disappear up its own ass and which is subtly configured for all of us who post rather than work. No big logos on the page, no sounds, no pop ups. Ever.
    * Spots on the homepage highlighting talent, showreels etc

We've got some mad skills between us. We can make a better place and now is the time to do it. In a manner worthy of Pol Pot, Daniel has made this Year Zero. We need to start afresh from nothing. Think about it for a moment. This shouldn't be a hard sell.

[ October 03, 2003: Message edited by: bad_roo ]

Talking

Werd Roo -

Well put - it's seems like a matter of execution, and we certainly have the talent amongst us (myself excluded).

This should be win-win for the community, for Chris Owens, and for Teton Gravity Research.

But we need to make something that will last...
    "When restraint and courtesy are added to strength, the latter becomes irresistible."
    Mohandas Gandhi

Cool

Originally posted by Cornholio:
    <STRONG>I think this could be structured (I think) within the TGR site, like a community area. If you login, you get your own page of personalized links, news, snow reports, maybe airfares from the midwest, etc, Yahoo!-style.

I'd make it my homepage, fer sure.</STRONG>
    It's idomatic, beatch.

maggots, i'm with you!

personal pages would be great idea... and you can make it available only for those maggots who pay... something like www.livejournal.com

PS
    this color scheme is really depressive
    oh shit here comes the ground!

scuzza posted
    I have servers and bandwidth, but I don't have the time to run a website. I got a gig.

But if I could find a few Denver (or Eagle County) maggots that'd want to run the thing, I'd be happy to chip in servers and bandwidth.
    http://forum.powdermag.com/cgi-bin/u...c;f=1;t=022443

Hmm... that solves money problems...

[ October 03, 2003: Message edited by: SummitCo 1776 ]
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Smile

Hey, I can offer to do site updating and FTP stuff back n forth. I have some web design skilz...and would be happy to offer them up. So sign me up for the tech team.
    :-)
    Sprite
    "I call it reveling in natures finest element. Water in its pristine form. Straight from the heavens. We bathe in it, rejoicing in the fullest." --BZ

I say we split up in 3 groups.

1. tech

2. design

3. content

Since i've only seen one designer, I say we need one or 2 more. The techteam looks complete with the 4 to 5 guys who've offered help so far.

Content is somewhat more general. I think everyone should feel free to add content, but there might be a need for a couple of guys to keep thinking about the 'fixed' content (read : non-forum-related). Functional things like a photo-uploading system, etc.. In essence, the guys who make sure everyone's voice is heard when making decisions on what functions to add to the site.

As for the tech-stuff, I'm willing to make sure we get some serverspace (either @ tgr or somewhere else) in a short time, so we can get this show on the road and keep the momentum going.