Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

High School MTB = crowds?

What has HS MTB done to the crowds in your area? My two go to before and after work loops (10ish miles) used to have 3-4 cars in the lot on weekdays before and after work several years ago. Now, it's not uncommon for there to be 20+ cars, and the trails just can't absorb all of the people. The uphills are frustration filled of wanting to pass and the downhills are stopping every 30 seconds for uphill traffic. Weekend crowds have also grown exponentially. I realize that it's probably not 100% HS teams that have influenced growth, but a huge portion of the people out now are wearing HS race jerseys.

Maybe related: anywhere the trail is techy is growing in width.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    What has HS MTB done to the crowds in your area? My two go to before and after work loops (10ish miles) used to have 3-4 cars in the lot on weekdays before and after work several years ago. Now, it's not uncommon for there to be 20+ cars, and the trails just can't absorb all of the people. The uphills are frustration filled of wanting to pass and the downhills are stopping every 30 seconds for uphill traffic. Weekend crowds have also grown exponentially. I realize that it's probably not 100% HS teams that have influenced growth, but a huge portion of the people out now are wearing HS race jerseys.

The hs racers I've known and ridden with are shredders, for the most part. Of all the gomers gaping it up out there these days, they're the last ones I'd gripe about. Ymmv.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    The hs racers I've known and ridden with are shredders, for the most part. Of all the gomers gaping it up out there these days, they're the last ones I'd gripe about. Ymmv.
    Griping about crowds, not quality of riders. And I'd agree that most of them are fast.

Griping about crowds, not quality of riders. And I'd agree that most of them are fast.
    The nica league in Utah is the most established in the country. Corner Canyon fields better than 100 riders.

My friends' little girl races for pchs. I struggled to drop her on long climbs when she was 14-15. I think she could probably catch me this year.

your spots have blown up....find new ones...you are in Utah....ahahahha
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Quote Originally Posted by DasBlunt View Post
    your spots have blown up....find new ones...you are in Utah....ahahahha
    In another 20 years, itll be as cunted up as Colorado or Washington. It just sucks to live through the process if you're a 4 day a week+ rider, because you can remember when it didn't suck and you still have the legs to ride hard.

I kind of envy you fatass posers sometimes.

I've never seen anywhere else in the country that holds a candle to that high school 29er hardtail scene on the wasatch front range.

Your schools have football, skateboards, and alcohol/drugs right? What's going on over there?
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

i love the hs kids, they have strong backs, do what they are told, and often have voly hrs to fulfill for school crap, what better way to use them than free labor hahaha
    not only that, but land managers are looking to open more singletrack for xc training/race use with the intention of the hs league being the responsible stewards, thats pretty damn cool and will take pressure off of the other trail crews, allowing more resources put into cool shit and not xc dirt path maintenance

In another 20 years, itll be as cunted up as Colorado or Washington. It just sucks to live through the process if you're a 4 day a week+ rider, because you can remember when it didn't suck and you still have the legs to ride hard.

When I moved here from Boulder it was to escape a lot of the things that are now here. Directional trails, no riding with your dog. 30 minute lines on weekends at ski areas. I chose to blame Vail.

On a side note, Colorado plates are becoming as plentiful as California.

The kids aren't the problem, it's just a numbers thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    When I moved here from Boulder it was to escape a lot of the things that are now here. Directional trails, no riding with your dog. 30 minute lines on weekends at ski areas. I chose to blame Vail.

On a side note, Colorado plates are becoming as plentiful as California.

The kids aren't the problem, it's just a numbers thing.
    I lived in Boulder way back in the day, too. Don't think I could hang now.

Awe, your little UTopia is getting crowded. Sad story.

I actually feel your pain though. Some of my local trails have gotten more crowded in past years. Still not as bad as front range though. Mostly it is whatever is close to Breck, and on MTBproject.com. I blame Rob Story.

your trails are prob the same as my trails and yes it's been aggressive... everytime i've climbed east fork this year (twice) I've had to contend with 20+ highschoolers descending. middle fork should be the down...

I've been told to "look up" by several of the kids. if the group is big enough should I just yield to all of them? or just stop and have a quick safety check?
    bumps are for poor people

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    I've never seen anywhere else in the country that holds a candle to that high school 29er hardtail scene on the wasatch front range.

Your schools have football, skateboards, and alcohol/drugs right? What's going on over there?
    I don't know, but it is cool to see a bunch of young kids on the trails.

As for DH groms, this local kid is probably gonna have a good bike career:

Interesting, I'm on the trails almost everyday here in WA, either on foot or the bike, and I hardly see anyone. Most days I never see a soul.

Back when junior was in HS 12yrs ago kids seemed very willing to thro themselves off of objects to achieve stoke or more likely spinal compression but perspiring was not big ...has this changed?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Numbers expand the culture and bring a new generation advocating for mtb and keeping trails open plus making new trails.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Go team!
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    I don't know, but it is cool to see a bunch of young kids on the trails.

As for DH groms, this local kid is probably gonna have a good bike career:
    He is such a nice, humble kid too. His speed and skill has been crazy up to this point, considering he is just barely growing into man size. His little sister is a super talented BMX racer too. Will be interesting to see if she takes to DH like Joey.

The explosive growth of NICA in Utah has surprised just about everybody. I think the teams/coaches do need to do a better job of teaching and enforcing etiquette and also handling the sizes of their group rides, ultimately I think it is a good thing for the sport of cycling.

Funny, thats why I moved here, to get away from what PC was becoming, this was in 1991.

Now this place is getting busy enough that I may need to relocate again. You can have my spot.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

I'd much rather see the kids on bikes, enjoying a sport for life, as apposed to playing football for the NCAA farm league.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    Yes, pack a bowl and fire up the nug!
    And dont bogart that thing,pass it around
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by bunion View Post
    Funny, thats why I moved here, to get away from what PC was becoming, this was in 1991.

Now this place is getting busy enough that I may need to relocate again. You can have my spot.
    I have been considering moving back to your neck of the woods after my 7 year absence. Does that mean you have to move to Boulder?

What don't you like about directional trails? IMO, in busy locales they're great. Hell, even it not so busy locales. It's one of the reasons I love Phil's World.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    I'd much rather see the kids on bikes, enjoying a sport for life, as apposed to playing football for the NCAA farm league.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    What don't you like about directional trails? IMO, in busy locales they're great. Hell, even it not so busy locales. It's one of the reasons I love Phil's World.
    I think directional trails is one of the things that could save us. Ultimately, we need about 50 more miles of (well-built) trail in this same area to spread people out.

Quote Originally Posted by westoxified View Post
    your trails are prob the same as my trails and yes it's been aggressive... everytime i've climbed east fork this year (twice) I've had to contend with 20+ highschoolers descending. middle fork should be the down...
    Yeah, Middle fork to Maples was always the defacto way to get down, but there are just so many people now that "rules" are out the window. It's been tough to even find parking at Wheeler's this year.