Thread: KTM bikes

KTM bikes

Just got a notice about American distribution. Has anyone ridden one? Are they just rebranding an existing bike?

My friend has one. She likes it and it matches her ktm moto so she is stoked. They aren't rebranded so not sure where you made that assumption. Most bikes look the same I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    They aren't rebranded so not sure where you made that assumption. Most bikes look the same I guess.
    Aren't ALL bikes made by GIANT and then rebranded?
    The Sheriff is near!

LYCAN 27 PRESTIGE 11s
    $9195

wtf
    I could practically buy one of their motorcycles off the showroom floor

They aren't rebranded so not sure where you made that assumption.
    Because they used to be.

They still look like 'catalog' bikes. Where a company just picks a frame design from a Taiwanese manufacturer, and paints it with little or no design input from the brand that will be selling it. Pike a bike, pick a color, buy a build kit from sram/shimano/fox and voila....you're a bike company.

See: Azonic, KHS, motobecane, etc

that doesn't mean they're bad bikes or anything
    Last edited by kidwoo; 06-27-2016 at 02:16 PM.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    LYCAN 27 PRESTIGE 11s
    $9195

wtf
    I could practically buy one of their motorcycles off the showroom floor
    Actually, my sons new 350 SXF was less than that and a totally killer ride.

I think the question with any new bike (or newly considered bike) is Why?
    If I have several known entities producing quality products, what would compel me to spend any time or effort considering this new brand?
    If it's just price, then I have loads of follow up questions about quality and performance. To me, GT and Diamondback come to mind first when I think of these scenarios.
    If it weren't for their World Cup DH teams, I wold see GT as a tiny step above department store bikes. More of a Big Box Bike Store brand. I actually thought they were the Performance store brand bike for a while. Then I noticed the Athertons.
    I still see Diamondback as a department store bike. But, every time Chris Akrigg or Kelly McGarry (RIP) shows up on the interwebz slaying shit on a DB, I realize it's at least worth considering them as a legitimate bike.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    I think the question with any new bike (or newly considered bike) is Why?
    If I have several known entities producing quality products, what would compel me to spend any time or effort considering this new brand?
    If it's just price, then I have loads of follow up questions about quality and performance. To me, GT and Diamondback come to mind first when I think of these scenarios.
    If it weren't for their World Cup DH teams, I wold see GT as a tiny step above department store bikes. More of a Big Box Bike Store brand. I actually thought they were the Performance store brand bike for a while. Then I noticed the Athertons.
    I still see Diamondback as a department store bike. But, every time Chris Akrigg or Kelly McGarry (RIP) shows up on the interwebz slaying shit on a DB, I realize it's at least worth considering them as a legitimate bike.
    GT and Diamondback have (or at least had) a long history in BMX, and GT was a major player in mountain biking in the late 80s/early 90s. Mongoose was right there with them both. Haro made an effort in mountain biking, but that seems to have collapsed in the last couple years.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Back in 1989 Malcolm Smith Racing came out with line they sold thru motorcycle shops.
    They were just rebadged Trek 970's.

I asked the question because they are good at what they do. If they are stepping in to the bike world, it will be interesting. They have a good brand and risk harming it if they do something poorly.

I just got a spam ad from BTO sports (moto store) with a KTM bike lineup.

They're making spandex bibs.

They dabbled in the past with some junk bikes years ago, but now you know they're serious.

Bibs, man. KTM bibs.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    I asked the question because they are good at what they do. If they are stepping in to the bike world, it will be interesting. They have a good brand and risk harming it if they do something poorly.
    Ktm bikes has nothing to do with ktm motorcycles other than the branding. They have been doing bikes in Europe for a long time.

How people perceive branding is so interesting to me (diamondback and GT above). People really don't see beyond that much huh? Is that why it always comes down to the 3 most important things in a bike purchase? Cost, color, and brand. Normal people don't go deeper than that. No wonder the bike brands keeps selling the same shit as each other but in a different color and with different acronyms.

moto brands in to pedal bikes is not new (alpine star, honda, etc)

Ktm bikes has nothing to do with ktm motorcycles other than the branding. They have been doing bikes in Europe for a long time.

How people perceive branding is so interesting to me (diamondback and GT above). People really don't see beyond that much huh? Is that why it always comes down to the 3 most important things in a bike purchase? Cost, color, and brand. Normal people don't go deeper than that. No wonder the bike brands keeps selling the same shit as each other but in a different color and with different acronyms.
    Quote for truth!
    #1 goal this year......stay alive +
    DOWN SKIS