Fork advice - Fox vs. Marzocchi

Relative beginner and have a 2008 Kona whose Fox RL 32 fork has started creaking. Considering a replacement and found some pretty good deals on a Fox 32 Float CTD vs. a Marzocchi 55 - any recommendations? Realize that at my level it probably doesn't matter, but saw a Blister Gear review from years back about issues with axle tension on the Marzocchi and there are plenty of forums discussing the creaking issues with the Fox forks. Ride in wooded areas where there are plenty of roots, so while I'm not doing pure downhill, some degree of stiffness/absorption matters (i.e., would a fork stiffer than the Fox 32 be better to prevent creaking?).

Appreciate everyone's insights.
    Originally Posted by jm2e:
    To be a JONG is no curse in these unfortunate times. 'Tis better that than to be alone.

you can't get what you have fixed? Fox might not warranty, but they might sell replacement (not creaking) parts?

As much as I hate SRAM, their rockshox suspension products are what I run right now because they are 100% user/locally serviceable and very easy to get parts for. There are official service manuals and parts available going back well over 5 years. I run components for many years, until they are worn or hopelessly out of date, so I want something that can be maintained for years to come.

Marzocchi is out of business, made great forks until they offshored for 2008, eventually destroying the brand. The 55 series is a heavy enduro/freeride class fork, good luck getting support for it. I still have a 2006 66SL (bought new in 2006!) that I'm going to use on a park bike, but it's in great shape and one of the best built forks ever made. Nearly 6 lb, not the most practical trail fork though I rode it as such for many years.

Everybody seems to hate the fox CTD product, and the 32 series is regarded as one of the more flexy on the market. They seem to be fragile, expensive, and require factory service, though FOX will deal with you directly, unlike SRAM.

I'm not sure what the specs are exactly on the fork you need, but I would look into the Rockshox Revelation/Sektor. It's reasonably stiff, was offered in all axle and steerer configurations, multiple spring and travel configurations, and is under 4lb. You should be able to find lightly used or closeout for $300 or less.

Make sure you know for sure that the creak is coming from your fork before you buy a new one. It would suck to buy one and install it only to find the creak is still there. Does the creak affect fork performance? Personally I would take it to a local shop and have them look at it. Could just be a headset.

Like Damian said, Rock Shox.

I like Fox for rear shocks, but dislike having to send it in.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

and if you buy a new fork, make sure the axle fits, the steer tube is the right taper, correct brake mount, and long enough steer tube too.

Thanks everyone - really appreciate the advice. I had taken the bike for a comprehensive tune before starting up again and the shop noted that the front shock was low on pressure, so they had to 'overfill' it a little bit to compensate. Not sure if the creaking compromises performance, or definitively that it's coming from the fork, but its certainly coming from the front of the bike and correlates with going over bumps. I ride a wooded single track near work 1-2 times per week and have absolutely loved getting back into it after a kid/work-induced lull, and when I notice it the most is during a segment that has an extensive number of tree roots. What also made me think about upgrading the fork is that the I've recently switched to platform pedals (safer for me as a beginner) and the significant shaking of the bike with any speed through the roots makes it harder to keep my feet planted now that they're no longer clipped in. It's a 2008 Kona Dawg, so nice bike for my level, but it's unfortunately hard for me to differentiate skill level from fork malfunction vs. whether more expensive forks with a little more travel would be better for this purpose. Didn't know if the creaking indicates worse shock absorption, whether it's an inherent limitation of an intermediate-level fork, or whether technology has advanced enough in recent years that newer models that can be had on sale would improve the ride.
    Originally Posted by jm2e:
    To be a JONG is no curse in these unfortunate times. 'Tis better that than to be alone.

1) ask the shop about the creak (might NOT be fork)

2) try lower fork pressure

3) try lower tire pressure

4) compare price of new fork, vs new bike vs similar used bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Orthoski View Post
    .....when I notice it the most is during a segment that has an extensive number of tree roots. What also made me think about upgrading the fork is that the I've recently switched to platform pedals (safer for me as a beginner) and the significant shaking of the bike with any speed through the roots makes it harder to keep my feet planted now that they're no longer clipped in.
    If the fork has been rebuilt and does this, sounds like it's pretty much shot.