Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Pack pump

Pack pump

Mine just shit the big one. What are you using that is decent? Mine was never that good and maybe it's the nature of them.

I also carry a co2, but I don't like to use it when its not really necessary. Mostly bought that for the fat bike tires anyway.

I've used several of the mini pumps and two way pumps. I haven't really liked any of them.

My go-to is the Blackburn Mammoth. Durable, simple, and effective. My first lasted 10 years, and I only replaced it because I lost the handle, making it a pain to pump. Fits fine in my Camelbak.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

I have a Blackburn Mammoth CF. Works fine, but all tubeless now probably = CO2
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    I have a Blackburn Mammoth CF. Works fine, but all tubeless now probably = CO2
    Yeah, I'm constantly adjusting the pressure in my tubeless up or down 5 or so lbs depending on our conditions. We can can be real greasy or dry conditions here...changes like the NE weather , so I like having a regular pump for the quick fix on the fly. I need all the help I can get.

Lezyne are amazing pumps. I had a Blackburn Mammoth forever and thought it, and all pumps sucked until I got a Lezyne.

I've had a topeak mountain morph for almost 2 years, basically a mini floor pump with hose and foot pad, airs up tires in no time, little bigger than the mini pumps but fits in my bag and being able to pump things up way faster and not at an awkward angle is awesome.
    Last edited by kevin267; 06-24-2016 at 10:47 AM.

I like Blackburn. They work acceptably well, and when they break, Blackburn will send you a new one -- lifetime warranty.

I don't know of any other pump manufacturer that will do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin267 View Post
    I've had a topeak mountain morph for almost 2 years, basically a mini floor pump with hose and foot pad, airs up tires in no time, little bigger than the mini pumps but fits in my bag and being able to pump things up way faster and not at an awkward angle is awesome.
    X2, going on 12 years with mine.
    Pushes more volume than most other mini pumps, and pushing the handle down with the ground providing resistance is more efficient then having to hold the whole set up in both hands. The hose is also a plus, no breakey valve stems (for some reason, this happens for me a lot with Presta, little fuckers snap right off), operator error I'm sure, but not an issue with this pump. I also carry one in my enduro (the original, gas version) kit.

Lezyne makes a pump, as well as others I'm sure that threads onto a valve stem. I popped a tire and the tube I had didn't have a stem long enough for my mammoth pump to get a good purchase in the rim I have. A neighborly feller came up on me about in tears and let me use his. I was sold. That thing was awesome.

Plus it was shiny.

this guy http://www.lezyne.com/product-hpumps...crofldrhvg.php
    Last edited by kidwoo; 06-24-2016 at 11:53 AM.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Big fan of the Lezyne pumps as well for the limited times I've had to use mine.

I've lost two lezyne pumps out on the trail now. You're welcome.

I am still using a hand pump I got in a bargain bin for $5 probably 15 years ago. If it ever dies I will look at the Lezyne.

Are there any hand pumps that can also serve as a shock pump?

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    I am still using a hand pump I got in a bargain bin for $5 probably 15 years ago. If it ever dies I will look at the Lezyne.

I don't know, but that would be awesome. I can say my Lenzyte is horrible at pumping up shocks.

how do I know? Because i am a dumbass, that's why. /justgonnareleaseafewPSIbeforeabigdescent

Y'all are slipping.

Get the red one.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    No idea, but years ago I did see a guy in the Deer Valley parking lot pumping up his tire with a shock pump.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    No idea, but years ago I did see a guy in the Deer Valley parking lot pumping up his tire with a shock pump.
    Actually wasn't me.

A shock pump is designed to fill a small volume with high pressure, very accurately.

A hand pump is designed to fill a large volume quickly.

Possible to combine the two but you would either loose speed filling up your tire or accuracy adjusting your shock.
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Topeak Shock n Roll operates as both.

SJ- If you can wait a few days I'll be in your neighborhood next week and have just what you need. The price will be right all you'll have to do is say how much you love it so these guys stop talking about Lezyne and buy mine.

Another vote for lezyne pumps. I have the HP (high pressure) version of the pump Kidwoo referenced. Not sure if HP really changes much about the pump. I have used it to adjust the pressure of a shock before. Not the best approach but worked okay while on a ride. I also have had one of the carbony road drive hand pumps for about 4 years from a SAC deal. Works like a charm.

I've got one of those lezyne pumps as well. It's done me right. Only incident I've had with it was a friend was pumping a bit too 'vigorously' pulling the pump apart and slamming his hand down on the outer section cutting his hand....so don't do that and it's all good. I've used it for shock adjustments as well. Not the best but works.
    ...tricks deserve applause, style deserves respect

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    SJ- If you can wait a few days I'll be in your neighborhood next week and have just what you need. The price will be right all you'll have to do is say how much you love it so these guys stop talking about Lezyne and buy mine.
    Yeah, I'd absolutely buy from you.

Bumping this! Watcha using these days? Looking to replace an old school peg-mount frame pump with something more compact for bikepacking. higher volume desireable for tubeless

Lezyne Alloy Drive. No plastic to break, threads onto the valve, pumps well.

Crank brothers klic. Lots of plastic, but has worked great so far. Also threads onto the valve stem and has a built in pressure gauge. Haven't had any troubles, but have only used half a dozen times or so.

Seth

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app