Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit

My daughter is in Berlin. People are going nuts. I told her to go to the wechelstuben today to change the majority of her $ into Euro. .....Gold is up ~$70oz. I may sell some today.

Although, it may be better to wait until tomorrow for even better returns.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    what extra money? Now they get to set up their own fucking TSA and stupid ass customs shit everywhere. It is a complete joke.

Like this:

FUCKING OLDS
    Many are still alive that experienced the war, or the awful deprivations afterwards. You can't legislate that sort of deep seated hate away.

Quote Originally Posted by sqikunst View Post
    Klar in all things fair you hit the nail on the head. The idea that by gaining "Independence" they can shift into a position where they have more control. If anyone with half a mind looks at the situation its a step backwards for humanity. Klar and I a both from central Europe, Austria specifically. We also just went though a populist right ring vote and we came out on top. It was close but by a grace of good fortune and common sense we did not stir to populist views and backwards agendas.

If they invoke article 5... Certain things will happen that I myself am not intelligent enough to understand. It is a clear disregard for humanity in all forms. The world collectively is setting a precedent of defensive policy. Lets protect what is "ours' and these sentiments are being screamed by the colonisers the rapists of sovereignty. History can show in no small terms that the idea of sovereignty is a myth onto itself. What did we learn in 2008... Trickle down economics is real. its real when shit hits the fan. The conspiracy believing part of me just knows that the people in the know made an absolute killing in the last 24 hours by moving GDP offshore and they are just going to move it back in when the Pound bottoms out. They shorted the pound and betting agencies had 11x multipliers on Brexit.

The EU is flawed as hell but it tried to create a cohesiveness between nations that had been severely divided by war for centuries. Europeans love killing each other that is a fact, I am rambling now because I am at a loss for words. It sets precedent for a whole cannon full of fodder that will dissipate through the world. This is not a British issue its a world issue the same as the US elections. How did we get here? Do we really hate each other enough to take away friendships, bonds, families and the sense of collective responsibility.

The sad thing is the driver behind all of this chaos are unhappy white males. Who look at the piss poor job they did in their own lives and think that by looking inward they will find the clarity and happiness they think that they deserve. 52% of Britain who decided to vote poured gasoline on themselves and lit themselves a congratulatory smoke. I hope that the backlash is harsh as hell. That they are brought to their knees and isolated and reviled the world over. They looked in the mirror and said lets watch the world burn thinking they were somehow immune to scalding burns to follow.

I hope they wallow in their own shit, high unemployment stewing in a cesspool of regret like not putting a rubber in banging the local corner hoe.

Keep the shit eating grin alive cause come the reckoning you will be on your knees taking what the world deems appropriate.

Shameful day for the world collectively. America you are next in line....
    I read that last part entirely in a Donald Trump voice. What's that they say about the extremes at both ends? They meet at some point?
    I still call it The Jake.

"What keeps the ideology of isolation going is going to extremes. If you begin by denying social and ecological systems, then you end in denying the reality of facts, which are after all part of a network of systematic relationships between language, physical reality, and the record, regulated by the rules of evidence, truth, grammar, word meaning, and so forth. You deny the relationship between cause and effect, evidence and conclusion, or rather you imagine both as products on the free market, which one can produce and consume according to one’s preferences. You deregulate meaning".

"And this is how the ideology of isolation becomes nihilism, trying to kill the planet and most living things on it with the confidence born of total disconnection".
    http://harpers.org/archive/2016/07/t...-of-isolation/

Quote Originally Posted by sqikunst View Post
    The sad thing is the driver behind all of this chaos are unhappy white males. Who look at the piss poor job they did in their own lives and think that by looking inward they will find the clarity and happiness they think that they deserve.
    Oh, and who is speaking here? A black woman? Really? Or, no, probably a white male who has benefitted from the neoliberal thought and actions whipped up by the upper class (they ain't from the public school systems) technocrats to help form the New World Order and hand more and more power to international corporations that increasingly owe no allegiance to any country or the citizens within. These awful White Males have watched this happen all their lives, and have had enough of the lies and empty promises from above, as they were lectured to accept the medicine, as the oligarchs and criminals rape finances and budgets for clearly personal gain, with no retribution from any legal system. Hey, this is what happens when you ain't got much less to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Oh, and who is speaking here? A black woman? Really? Or, no, probably a white male who has benefitted from the neoliberal thought and actions whipped up by the upper class (they ain't from the public school systems) technocrats to help form the New World Order and hand more and more power to international corporations that increasingly owe no allegiance to any country or the citizens within. These awful White Males have watched this happen all their lives, and have had enough of the lies and empty promises from above, as they were lectured to accept the medicine, as the oligarchs and criminals rape finances and budgets for clearly personal gain, with no retribution from any legal system. Hey, this is what happens when you ain't got much less to lose.
    So these guys were right?

Agree with Klar. Skiqunst- steady on old chap!

On the plus side I just discovered that I am an Irish citizen! Expect they'll be getting a few applications over the next few months.

While the olds may remember the war, they also benefitted in full from the UK's extraordinary economic success while in the EU (look it up) and are now pulling the ladder up behind them on the generation whose taxes are supposed to pay their pensions. Nice...
    fur bearing, drunk, prancing eurosnob

I guess the Brits will finally get an independence day
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Hey, this is what happens when you ain't got much less to lose.
    This is a most telling sentence about those (apparently like you) that hold these opinions.

- it ain't a grammatically correct or sensical sentence - "got much less to lose?"
    - naive malcontent attitude that somehow you couldn't be in a worse situation that you already are

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    This is a most telling sentence about those (apparently like you) that hold these opinions.

- it ain't a grammatically correct or sensical sentence - "got much less to lose?"
    - naive malcontent attitude that somehow you couldn't be in a worse situation that you already are

Would you prefer nothing to lose? Ain't totally familiar with Britain, but, here in America, Trump is no surprise. Drive out of the coastal urban areas, and there is literally, nothing, in so many places. How would you react?

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    So these guys were right?

Who's that?

Quote Originally Posted by smitchell333 View Post
    My wife works for a big company with its European headquarters in London. Their Euro CEO told her that with Brexit they would have to relocate the HQ to mainland Europe.
    I wonder how many other Entities will do the same.
    If Scotland stays in the EU they won't have far to go.
    riser4 - Ignore me! Please!

Kenny Satch - With pleasure

Would you prefer nothing to lose? Ain't totally familiar with Britain, but, here in America, Trump is no surprise. Drive out of the coastal urban areas, and there is literally, nothing, in so many places. How would you react?
    What you mean to say is that they 'don't have much more to lose." " got much less to lose" don't make no sense.

Yes its a natural emotional impulse when you feel like you're losing to just burn the whole thing down, but that won't help the average Brit (or American).

How will driving Banking, Euro headquarters, etc out of England help the average Brit?

Who's that?
    Seconded....

Wonder if this will affect US-EU flights connecting through London...

... what happens at the Chunnel?

Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Satch View Post
    If Scotland stays in the EU they won't have far to go.
    This all will take years, companies that have to move will be long-gone by then.

I have no idea what you're talking about most of the time, but I admire your passion and stamina.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    My daughter is in Berlin. People are going nuts.
    Getting a good cupping I hope?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    This all will take years, companies that have to move will be long-gone by then.
    Right, I don't get how Scotland can simply leave the UK and join the EU without it taking a shitload of time, effort, and law making. Scotland hasn't been independent from the UK for hundreds of years...they'd be starting essentially from scratch. Can it happen? Sure...but not quickly IMO. It would have to go something like this:

1. Scotland votes to leave the UK
    2. Scotland sets up independent country while EU considers them for membership
    3. EU approves/disapproves of their membership.

Step 1 is quick....there are lots of substeps in #2, which I'm not sure how long it would take for them to figure it all out. I hope they do it though..it would be interesting. Scotland would need a military right? No currency, no central bank, etc.
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    It will be a 2 year process so the mad dash might take longer....maybe

Although some will nonetheless cling to anti EU myths like banana curvature regulation, the Economist continues to have some good factual coverage on all this, worth reading:. http://www.economist.com/Brexit

That's the truth.

People on the left and right coast need to wake up and realize that the common person no longer has any interest tied to them and no longer has anything to lose.

Nothing more to lose should be the Trump camapighn slogan.

If that scares anyone then I'd suggest you start listening to someone other than yourselves.

Reporting from the rust belt.

Bernie on CBS This Morning just pretty much said he supports Brexit

Can the US have a Texit?
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that