View Poll Results: Can You Manual (at least 5 sec)

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sure, easy.. in any terrain

3 5.26%
  • Maybe 5 seconds.. on a road or easy slope

19 33.33%
  • Nope

35 61.40%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Can you Manual?

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    We used to do the front wheelie and rear pivot on steep switchbacks all the time back in the day. Of course back then most of the single track was built for hikers and the switchbacks were narrower and tighter. Now it seems like an unnecessary skill given that most switchbacks are wider and often have berms to help with rolling around.
    I think it was easier to do this on a rigid forked 26" bike as well....

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    We used to do the front wheelie and rear pivot on steep switchbacks all the time back in the day. Of course back then most of the single track was built for hikers and the switchbacks were narrower and tighter. Now it seems like an unnecessary skill given that most switchbacks are wider and often have berms to help with rolling around.
    Do you even instagram bro?
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

I definitely can't manual. I know, big surprise.
    That first vid was helpful.
    It hasn't been something I need to do a lot.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

have you tried pointing your toes?

Hahaha. I just tried in the drive way. Couldn't get the front wheel up much. It's a scary feeling. Like if I actually did it, I'd wind up breaking my tailbone.
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Do you even instagram bro?
    Insta what?

Quote Originally Posted by AlpenChronicHabitual View Post
    Maybe for you.
    I was a skate rat in the 70's, manual was not part of the lexicon at that time but was for BMX.
    nope, skateboarding

Quote Originally Posted by Dhelihiker View Post
    nope, skateboarding
    Obviously before my time. But I thought manual was shorthand for manual (rather than mechanical or pedaled) wheelie and that it had originated with the bmxers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhelihiker View Post
    nope, skateboarding
    Maybe in your experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    I thought manual was shorthand for manual (rather than mechanical or pedaled) wheelie and that it had originated with the bmxers.

Oh shit, that's good. Can I change my vote?

Or: it comes from the equivalent of self pleasure or 'manual' pleasure because doing it for extended lengths serves no functional purpose whatsoever other than making the participant feel good.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Can you Manual?

Hahaha. I just tried in the drive way. Couldn't get the front wheel up much. It's a scary feeling. Like if I actually did it, I'd wind up breaking my tailbone.
    Gotta feather the brake.

Works best with functional rear brakes, reminds me I have way too much play in my lever.

I used to be able to stoppie until I got my beloved Hayes brakes replaced with some cheesemo shit.

Oh, and can anyone confirm that Robbie Bourdon can't manual?

As far manual, been around my brain in bmx since at least 1975.

I tried my first front wheelie on my hero master in 1984 high as a thousand Jamaicans. Stood on the twin top tubes grabbed some front brake and did the hardest pavement belly flop I've ever experienced. I thought I had died. Never have tried again, the nose wheelie anyway....
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    twin top tubes

Thread now validated

I still have a torker pit bike I can't convince myself to get rid of.

They were probably easier on a BMX bike when I was younger; I probably should've voted no because I don't think I could pull one off anymore. I'll try next time I'm out though.

When I thought I was cool on my BMX as a teen we called a "front wheelie" an "endo."
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Training carts are for jongs. I remember back when this forum had legit bull-fighters and not a bunch of posers.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Oh shit, that's good. Can I change my vote?

Or: it comes from the equivalent of self pleasure or 'manual' pleasure because doing it for extended lengths serves no functional purpose whatsoever other than making the participant feel good.
    I'm sold. Let me go try to manual my fleshlight.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    I'm sold. Let me go try to manual my fleshlight.
    Yo. You deserve this and Imma let you finish.

But in the meantime, check this vid (and go to 2:38) and realize my buddy has the best manual of ALL TIME.

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...mmoth-Mountain

Hey Woo, you can too. Live your dreams bro

https://www.ryanleech.com/manual-mas...ampaign=BunMan

I meant to answer no, I can't.

I'll sign up for that Ryan Leech class. I can usually pull one for 5-10 feet, and can do it long enough to be useful in most trail situations, but I've never gotten the hang of that foot push part.

Good to hear so many other people suck at it. You see so many vids with dudes pulling a mile long manual (or those ones thru rhythm sections - holy shit) that you start to think everyone but you can do it.

A guy I used to ride with, once (or more times) manualed from Rossland to Warfield down the highway. Its about a 5km hill. I drove by going down the hill as he was doing it, pretty impressive to watch for a few seconds as I passed, he even waved when I honked.
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

I'd never heard the term 'manual' before this thread. I assume the main difference from doing a wheelie is you don't pedal?? I can wheelie for blocks but have never tried to manual....hmmmm... I'll have to give it a shot next time out. One thing for sure, it looks way more difficult than just wheelie-ing since you don't get to use the pedals for powering your balance.

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    I can only manage to manual under particular circumstances.
    FS mtb: barely at all.
    HT mtb: over a bump or two, sometimes.
    BMX: on flat pavement, but its not pretty. Can barely manual in a pump track, mostly just end up yanking the shit out of the bars and losing speed.

Had someone do that next to me while I was walking a couple dogs on a fairly crowded city trail last weekend. He seemed under control, but I wasn't too pleased.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    I'd never heard the term 'manual' before this thread. I assume the main difference from doing a wheelie is you don't pedal?? I can wheelie for blocks but have never tried to manual....hmmmm... I'll have to give it a shot next time out. One thing for sure, it looks way more difficult than just wheelie-ing since you don't get to use the pedals for powering your balance.
    Nope. No can do.... Wheelie yes, manual no.

I first heard the term manual when I started racing BMX at the age of nine in 1979. Holy fuck am I old. After reading this thread I found myself on my street in the past few nights trying to manual, not as good as I used to be was still able to pull it off for a couple seconds. I'll keep working on it hopefully I will be able to hold one for five seconds or more.