Page 3 of 80 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    As a Zers fan, I am preparing to be grossly underwhelmed by our FA acquisitions, even though we're sitting on a pile of money.

I'm hoping for Whiteside who has reported interest in the Blazers or even a one year contract with Dwight Howard (don't start--I know the downside). The reality will be a bunch of older washouts combined with younger "raw players with great potential." Being a small market fan does not make for exciting FA seasons.
    Wait till next year when the cap makes an even bigger jump. I heard the talking heads list off mediocre-to-fair FAs that will make tens of millions next year. It's a crazy time for sure.
    I still call it The Jake.

Lakers agree with Mozgov on a 4 year, $64M contract. That makes me happy.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Timofy must break you

guy can finally afford the "th" for his name!
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

$64M/4yrs is an insane amount of money for that guy though.

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    As a Zers fan, I am preparing to be grossly underwhelmed by our FA acquisitions, even though we're sitting on a pile of money.

I'm hoping for Whiteside who has reported interest in the Blazers or even a one year contract with Dwight Howard (don't start--I know the downside). The reality will be a bunch of older washouts combined with younger "raw players with great potential." Being a small market fan does not make for exciting FA seasons.
    Dwights block of Green in the playoffs was legit, and reminded me of what he can do on that end of the floor. He's a total liability on offense though...so I don't know that he could be trusted in crunch time. Still, a one year flyer might be worth it.

I'm holding out some hope for Whiteside or Horford, although my guess is that we're hosed. Maybe Meyers will learn how to play again.

ETA: Well Whiteside is out.
    Last edited by Adolf Allerbush; 07-01-2016 at 12:27 PM.
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

No Good Clippers!

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    guy can finally afford the "th" for his name!
    I blame Anfernee Hardaway for starting this shit.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    $64M/4yrs is an insane amount of money for that guy though.
    That's why I love the deal so much.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Wait till next year when the cap makes an even bigger jump. I heard the talking heads list off mediocre-to-fair FAs that will make tens of millions next year. It's a crazy time for sure.
    whats going on right now is absolute bat-shit crazy... it just makes it that much easier to ignore the NBA
    'To quote my bro
    "We're not K2. We're a bunch of maggots running one press at full steam building killer fukkin skis and putting smiles on our friends' faces." ' - skifishbum '08

"Adios Hugh you asshole" - Ghostofcarl '14

believe...

Holy fuck, speaking of insane money: Dwight Howard to ATL.

3 years $70.5 million fucking dollars?!?

2016-17 NBA Thread

The money is insane under the old cap. You have to look ahead at future cap projections. Our old sense of this much or that is way out of proportion right now. Not many assets out there this year either.

Pretty sure the Knicks are gonna win the 2011 finals! ;-)

Smart move by Atlanta. Maybe it doesn't work but they had to be bold... Who knows.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Howard replacing Horford seems like a downgrade to me. Howard might be a better rebounder, but I don't think he's a better defender, and he's light years behind offensively.

Celtics get Horford, Durant next? Danny's plan working.

OK, so nobody was with me when I predicted Steph was going to win the MVP a second time, so now I say the Warriors go undefeated.

Who's with me?
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Dubs sign KD! Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    OK, so nobody was with me when I predicted Steph was going to win the MVP a second time, so now I say the Warriors go undefeated.

Who's with me?
    Curry gets no respect. Next year, he'll make 350 3s on 50% shooting. Dubs gonna be raining hella-3s.

Closing lineup:
    Curry
    Thompson
    Durant
    Green
    Iguodala

Maybe they'll sign Dirk just because.

Hoping they can make it work. I think 2016-2017 just became all about whether Kerr is for real.
    focus.

crazy crazy crazy

they will have to move some guys to create cap space, though, right? Barnes is gone for sure. Who else?

we will see who curry and kd really are now. i think kerr's shown he's for real as a person, player and coach. coming up short in the finals is not a knock on him. they knew the risks and they went for it as a team and just missed. he made some other mistakes but i'm sure they will be considered.

we'll see who is all about team and winning. they have a culture. we'll see curry's understanding of himself in that culture with another top dog and we'll see kd's understanding of himself independently and in that culture.

it will be fun to read about.

i figured it was either gs or okc. i figured he might jump because i believe he wants to win, he seems as humble as superstars get, he doesn't know what westbrook is going to do a year from now and knows next year will be more of the same over both of them and they will still have to beat g.s. g.s. culture >> okc culture. they know how to win..okc is trying to figure it out and as much as i love westbrook he seems like he can be detrimental to team at times.

durant boosts a team that undoubtedly has a sour taste over the end and will be hungry. not to mention they won a title, won 73 games and nearly won another title. plus he mortally wounds gs's biggest obstacle and arguably the reason gs lost the finals.

cleveland fans probably have a sick feeling in their stomachs.

poor westbrook

and i know nothing about what gs gives up so obviously that impacts the eventual outcome

Quote Originally Posted by wyeaster View Post
    we will see who curry and kd really are now. i think kerr's shown he's for real as a person, player and coach.
    we'll see who is all about team and winning. they have a culture. we'll see curry's understanding of himself in that culture with another top dog and we'll see kd's understanding of himself independently and in that culture.
    g.s. culture >> okc culture.
    Culture, blending of superstars into a greater whole. How is this not really all about coaching? Why do you think Phil Jackson is widely considered the greatest coach ever? Hint: it's not because of his triangle offense.
    focus.

Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

i didn't say it wasn't about coaching. i said kerr has proven himself as a coach. he's more responsible for their culture than anybody. kd hasn't proven he can fit into a new dominant culture because he hasn't had to. he's always been the centerpiece. curry has been the unquestioned top dog and mvp but demonstrated petulance detrimental to the team and is still young.

if it doesn't work, whatever that means, it will be because player ego supercedes team objectives, not because kerr can't coach superstars.

i don't remember if phil jackson had to blend a curry at the top with a durant in his prime coming new to the team. kobe was a kid when he came to the team, the aging veterans who joined the lakers hoping to win a title will well past their primes. pippen came young. the knicks suck ass.

my memory sucks but kerr is phil-ish minus the gigantic ego.

2016-17 NBA Thread

Not really disagreeing, except that I think if this puts pressure on anybody, it's Kerr, and I do disagree in that if it doesn't work it's exactly because Kerr demonstrably wasn't able to coach multiple superstars to success, in addition to whatever else. He's done a great job teaching a young team how to win, with some of them rising to star/superstar status in the process. That's laudable, but it's an undeniable leadership challenge to maintain or grow that when the status quo and balance shift so dramatically. Is Kerr great at taking that very promising team and turning them into winners? Yes. Is he great, period? Remains to be seen.

If it doesn't work, it may or may not be any single player's fault. It will unequivocally be the coach's fault, though. Them's the breaks of organizational leadership.
    focus.

Bout apparently heading to the Mavs in a trade. Have to see what they are getting in return, possibly draft pick(s)...or more likely giving them to take on salary.