Broken T12 Vertebrate

I broke my T12 back in the beginning of March speedriding over in Chamonix. Compressed 25-30%, but not enough for surgery. I wore a brace for 3 months and am just getting out of it. I have another 3 months of limited activity before I'll be at 80% bone strength. Anyone deal with this? My physician limited most outdoor activity, even bike riding due to chances of a fall. I can run on soft ground for short distances. Can work out in the gym as long as it's not a longitudinally compressing activity. Swimming sounds like my best bet right now...

Talk to your doc about rehab and consulting a rehab professional AT/PT to help guide you with exercise that you are able to do that will not cause spinal compression. Aquatic therapy is great, not just swimming though, walking, lower body, upper body and core strength in a reduced weight bearing environment is key. Let's you exercise lots of body parts while unloading your spine. This will help with the boredom factor and will be beneficial to your overall muscle strength and recovery outcome.
    fighting gravity on a daily basis

WhiteRoom Skis
    Handcrafted in Northern Vermont
    www.whiteroomcustomskis.com

My daughter broke a piece off her L3 which is close to the T12. The fix was tons of physical therapy that specifically had her doing a core exercise that is like holding your pee in, or kegel. She now does this constantly. If you try it, it feels like the small muscles surrounding your spine get tight. This is what stabilizes the area. You're not supposed to clench your stomach muscles. It was pure luck we found the right Doc that knew the problem. Anyway it worked. You may want to ask about this with your Doctor/PT.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    My daughter broke a piece off her L3 which is close to the T12. The fix was tons of physical therapy that specifically had her doing a core exercise that is like holding your pee in, or kegel. She now does this constantly. If you try it, it feels like the small muscles surrounding your spine get tight. This is what stabilizes the area. You're not supposed to clench your stomach muscles. It was pure luck we found the right Doc that knew the problem. Anyway it worked. You may want to ask about this with your Doctor/PT.
    Multifidus and transverse muscles. I think for t12, this will not help. But i could be wrong. I have a program of these excerises if you want to PM me i can email them to you.

Apply pure St. John's Wort oil to are area externally every day for the next year.
    Having broken my back four times, refused surgeries and lived with excruciating pain for decades, I believe this oil was a major contributing factor to my healing, along with time and stretching/exercise. Having shredded many muscles and seen numerous xrays and mri's of c'd out vertebrate and bulging discs over the last 30 years, my most recent imaging blew my mind at how much it all healed. I was told to apply the oil to area every day for a year. I did it. Amazing results. I still use it from time to time for good measure maintenance. 30 seconds a day to find out if it works... Hundreds of hours of shiatsu, rolfing and orthobionomy didn't hurt either.

I fractured L1 and L2 last March. Same thing about 25% compressed and was told by my doc and rehab guy that I couldn't do any high impact activities for at least 12 weeks. I was given the green light on swimming and aqua jogging as long as there was no pain. if you have any strengthening exercises make sure to do them. I would do them at work and home. I basically made rehabbing and strengthening my number one priority. The pool makes for a pretty boring rehab period but it is worth it when you can start adding impact activities such as running and lifting back in.

Just going through this myself. Compression fracture of L11 and L12. So crazy how things happen, rode a gnarly 50 degree face/spine. Get to the bottom no problem, buddy skis down, high five, ok lets go drink beer! made 3 turns on mellowish terrain and fell off a 10 foot cliff I didn't see. Is there anything you can do in the 3 month period wearing the brace? Just going for walks seems like it would be ok? Or walking in the pool maybe, I just can't imagine how out of shape I'm going to be going 3 months without doing anything...

Shit man, hope you healed up. Swimming does sound like good therapy for this. Are you skiing again yet?
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

This is a question for your doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Apply pure St. John's Wort oil to are area externally every day for the next year.
    Having broken my back four times, refused surgeries and lived with excruciating pain for decades, I believe this oil was a major contributing factor to my healing, along with time and stretching/exercise. Having shredded many muscles and seen numerous xrays and mri's of c'd out vertebrate and bulging discs over the last 30 years, my most recent imaging blew my mind at how much it all healed. I was told to apply the oil to area every day for a year. I did it. Amazing results. I still use it from time to time for good measure maintenance. 30 seconds a day to find out if it works... Hundreds of hours of shiatsu, rolfing and orthobionomy didn't hurt either.
    Shit man, is there anything you haven't tried???