Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

CO: where would you ride this weekend?

...that won't be hot as balls or under snow.

I'm wholly unfamiliar with anything other than local Front Range shiz and Fruita, both of which sound scorchingly miserable with highs in the 90s this weekend.

Within a few hours of Denver, camping/4 wheeling nearby a plus but not required.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    ...that won't be hot as balls or under snow.

I'm wholly unfamiliar with anything other than local Front Range shiz and Fruita, both of which sound scorchingly miserable with highs in the 90s this weekend.

Within a few hours of Denver, camping/4 wheeling nearby a plus but not required.
    Chiming in from the East Coast so have no clue where snowline is, but a couple of fun options:

1. Curt Gowdy State Park in Wyoming (camping around Happy Jack with plenty of 4 wheeling available)
    2. Monarch CrestMarshall Pass area
    3. Black Hills, SD (more than four hours, but great riding)
    4. Steamboat Springs (Emerald Mtn. is great riding)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

Quote Originally Posted by Rontele View Post
    Chiming in from the East Coast so have no clue where snowline is, but a couple of fun options:

1. Curt Gowdy State Park in Wyoming (camping around Happy Jack with plenty of 4 wheeling available)
    2. Monarch CrestMarshall Pass area
    3. Black Hills, SD (more than four hours, but great riding)
    4. Steamboat Springs (Emerald Mtn. is great riding)
    Thx dude. Was considering #1. #2 is still under snow. #3 too far. #4 is a possibility.

Eagle or Winterpark.

Thx dude. Was considering #1. #2 is still under snow. #3 too far. #4 is a possibility.
    If you haven't been to Curt Gowdy, then go. It may be warm, but the riding is great there and a good combination of flow and tech. Plus plenty of additional riding at Happy Jack if you ride everything at CGSP.

I just rode 30 miles of Emerald today and it's riding really good. Yesterdays rain really helped. I think that Morning Gloria on Emerald Mountain is the finest climbing trail I have ever done. If you want to get a little higher, Scott's Run further north is in decent shape but does have multiple "creek" crossings.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Eagle or Winterpark.
    Eagle's too hot now. Fairplay is nice though. Has a couple decent rides, mix that with some 4 wheelin or skiing in the area and it should hold ya for the weekend. Or even hit Breck on Sun before coming back.

Breck is melting out well from what I hear. West Ridge may even be rideable by this weekend (this section of the Colorado Trail is fucking awesome).

Just because the Crest isn't GTG yet does not mean that there isn't a shitton of good riding in Salida area.

Winter Park trails are in good shape from what I hear.

Buff Creek will be hot, but not as hot as Denver. I'll be camping there this weekend.

Eagle, like Buff Creek, will be hotter than some places, but not hot as balls (NOAA says low 80s).
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Ned would be a good close option that ticks the boxes

Quote Originally Posted by Rontele View Post
    If you haven't been to Curt Gowdy, then go. It may be warm, but the riding is great there and a good combination of flow and tech. Plus plenty of additional riding at Happy Jack if you ride everything at CGSP.
    I might be in the minority, but I think Curt Gowdy is the most overrated trail system around.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Eagle's too hot now. Fairplay is nice though. Has a couple decent rides, mix that with some 4 wheelin or skiing in the area and it should hold ya for the weekend. Or even hit Breck on Sun before coming back.
    What's good around Fairplay (other than Kenosha)? MTB Project has very little beta. Location wise that could work out nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Breck is melting out well from what I hear. West Ridge may even be rideable by this weekend (this section of the Colorado Trail is fucking awesome).

Just because the Crest isn't GTG yet does not mean that there isn't a shitton of good riding in Salida area.

Winter Park trails are in good shape from what I hear.

Buff Creek will be hot, but not as hot as Denver. I'll be camping there this weekend.

Eagle, like Buff Creek, will be hotter than some places, but not hot as balls (NOAA says low 80s).
    High in Salida is like 94 this weekend. Looking at the local bike shop's condition websites, seems like only the lower elevation trails are melted out for the most part.

I rode Buff Creek last weekend but my buddy has never ridden there and wants to, so we might end up there anyway. I'll hit you up if we end up down there.

Quote Originally Posted by rudy View Post
    Ned would be a good close option that ticks the boxes
    Close enough (just barely) to do as an after work ride.

Thanks for the ideas so far, please keep 'em coming.

If West Ridge is rideable this weekend (probably will be), go there. Park at Gold Hill (or is it Gold Run? can never remember) trailhead right on Hwy 9, where the CT crosses the road. Ride up Tiger Road to where the CT crosses the middle fork of the swan. Turn Left. Follow CT back to your car. You will be happy.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

FYI, the Bailey Hundo is Saturday. I'll be sweating it out for a good chunk of the day out there, sorry in advance if you're climbing one of the descents on the course!

Anyone ride those trails that were just written up in Canon City area? That and some Salida action could be great. A ride in the am on S hill then up to the stuff just below Monarch (rainbow, etc) for the afternoon would be a great day.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Eagle FTW. Frost this morning. Definitely not too hot.

But, pass on if you wish.

Eagle. It is prime, and you will thank me.

Closer, better, funner, 4wd, camping, FREE.

Jeff, primo. I'm telling you.

And beer, lots of beer.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Highs in the 90s is pretty frickin hot. Temps are crazy high this weekend. Looks like I picked the right weekend for my WFA.

Fairplay has Sheep Creek and Gold Dust. Mtbproject has Gold Dust and I think singletrack.com has Sheep Creek? I kinda have those memorized now so I don't look up the info anymore. When I used to all but live in Breck, they were my goto weekend trails before the good trails in Breck melted and after Eagle got too hot. CT from Kenosha's a good choice too.

Fairplay also has another trail that I can't remember the name of, but routefinding was a pain and it wasn't as fun as the others.

Nederlend was a solid rec too.
    Last edited by Lindahl; 06-15-2016 at 04:52 AM.

Steamboat. Emerald mtn trails are super fun, I really like the ones on the backside of Emerald.

Summit is pretty dried out. I'm probably riding Sunday and could show you some fun loops in the Soda Creek area behind my house. West ridge, CT, Red trail, Blair Witch, etc... Should all be dry by now.

Eagle trails are fun too, I need to make it over there more often.

Eagle is on my list to check out for sure. shredgnar, I definitely could be down to ride with you Sunday.

Now that I have everyone's attention, anyone got a 30.9mm dropper post, externally routed, I can borrow temporarily? Mine shit the bed last night.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    I might be in the minority, but I think Curt Gowdy is the most overrated trail system around.
    It'd be so much better if you allowed to swim in the lake. I likt the trails there but I agree, pretty overrated. Seems like anything IMBA is involved with is overrated.

Adrenalated, let me know if you'll be around sunday. Might have a crew.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Adrenalated, let me know if you'll be around sunday. Might have a crew.
    You should take him up on this offer. Summit County riding is excellent, beats the heat, and a local guide can help a lot. Especially if he takes you out on the trails he mentioned. I haven't done the CT from Tiger Rd in a while, but it's a "hidden gem" (to the extent that any section of the CT can be considered hidden). From the top of West Ridge you have some amazing descent to the highway, with just a few short climbs. It's not one of the rides that people mention, like Monarch Crest (as one ex), but it is some of the best riding there is, IMO.

Highs in the 90s is pretty frickin hot. Temps are crazy high this weekend. Looks like I picked the right weekend for my WFA.

Fairplay has Sheep Creek and Gold Dust. Mtbproject has Gold Dust and I think singletrack.com has Sheep Creek? I kinda have those memorized now so I don't look up the info anymore. When I used to all but live in Breck, they were my goto weekend trails before the good trails in Breck melted and after Eagle got too hot. CT from Kenosha's a good choice too.

Fairplay also has another trail that I can't remember the name of, but routefinding was a pain and it wasn't as fun as the others.

Nederlend was a solid rec too.
    Sheep Creek is awesome, but suspect the stream crossing is dangerously high now.

Sourdough / S St Vrain. Its clear, high, and cool.
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    You should take him up on this offer. Summit County riding is excellent, beats the heat, and a local guide can help a lot. Especially if he takes you out on the trails he mentioned. I haven't done the CT from Tiger Rd in a while, but it's a "hidden gem" (to the extent that any section of the CT can be considered hidden). From the top of West Ridge you have some amazing descent to the highway, with just a few short climbs. It's not one of the rides that people mention, like Monarch Crest (as one ex), but it is some of the best riding there is, IMO.
    FWIW, never been a fan of West Ridge or its connectors for Breck riding. I really like Peaks and Wheeler to Spruce to Burro (shuttle or climb via Blue River and hwy 9). Those and Breck to Copper are my gotos, along with short laps down BLine (and Barney Flow now). Bakers to Aspen Alley was awesome too but Aspen Alley was recently neutered into a low speed IMBA flow BS (like Pool Ice Rink in Eagle, but way worse and no features). Peaks and Spruce are tough on the weekend though. Pretty packed with hikers. Go early or during questionable weather if you do.

Ooo another fun one is Lost Lake to Buffehr Creek in Vail (preferrably a shuttle). Lots of random 4x-ish roads and off the grid camping up there too. Son of Middle in the area isn't bad either. I wonder if Two Elk is clear of snow yet? Thats a killer ride in Vail as well. Shuttle as well. There's also Whiskey Creek but still closed to elk calving I think? A-10 and Paulies are fun also.
    Last edited by Lindahl; 06-15-2016 at 05:09 PM.

FWIW, never been a fan of West Ridge or its connectors for Breck riding. I really like Peaks and Wheeler to Spruce to Burro (shuttle or climb via Blue River and hwy 9). Those and Breck to Copper are my gotos, along with short laps down BLine (and Barney Flow now). Bakers to Aspen Alley was awesome too but Aspen Alley was recently neutered into a low speed IMBA flow BS (like Pool Ice Rink in Eagle, but way worse and no features). Peaks and Spruce are tough on the weekend though. Pretty packed with hikers. Go early or during questionable weather if you do.

Ooo another fun one is Lost Lake to Buffehr Creek in Vail (preferrably a shuttle). Lots of random 4x-ish roads and off the grid camping up there too. Son of Middle in the area isn't bad either. I wonder if Two Elk is clear of snow yet? Thats a killer ride in Vail as well. Shuttle as well. There's also Whiskey Creek but still closed to elk calving I think? A-10 and Paulies are fun also.
    The Colo-Rad-Bro is strong with this one.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    The Colo-Rad-Bro is strong with this one.
    xc and uphills are stupid shuttles are the way to go