Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

June 29-July 4th CO Shred Possible?

So Im headed out to Arches and then RMNP for my 30th BDay from June 29-July 4th and wanted to see if anyone knows if there will be some snow left up high around RMNP or even off a pass (such as Loveland or Mt Evans).

Im a sucker for a July turn so even if its 100' of vert. Any insight is appreciated.

Save yourself from saying Im a nut job.. I know I am. Ill hike all day for 100' in July.

Definitely you can ski. Many lines if willing to hike far. It may be quite good or just Ok by July depending on the next couple weeks' weather.

Trailridge road/ Sundance mtn will be your easiest option if in RMNP but you can hike to Tyndall Or Ptaarmigan glaciers or other options elsewhere were discussed here:

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d.php?t=301730

I'd show you some stuff but I'll be out of town around then.

Get in touch when you come by. A buddy and I may be up for some turns with you.

- In the Park there the glaciers smitchell mentioned aren't a massive slog. There's also Araphoe glacier to the south in the Indian Peaks. But it is a big hike in.
    - St. Mary's will have some snow around (for at least 100' of vert). It is a quick hike up. But make sure to have $5 for parking on hand. Not far out of your way if you take the peak-to-peak from RMNP down to 70.
    - There's a small snowfield above Rainbow Lake along the peak-to-peak hwy. Not a bad hike in. We saw people skiing it last July 4th in a similar snow year. Campground is right there too.
    - Indy pass may still have lines and is a very scenic drive if you have time.
    - As of this weekend Loveland still has a good bit of coverage in the resort area -- the pass itself is getting pretty wrecked by the heat. You're allowed to ski in most bits of the resort during summer though.

Beta is greatly appreciated! Especially to an out of towner.

Ill be looking to get some turns in that Sunday (July 3rd) as Ill be staying at the Glacier Basin Campground. Ill be with my GF who doesn't ski but likes to hike so a short hike in is preferable. Ill be sure to check out all these zones. coming from skiing backcountry in the northeast - ill hike for the goods for sure. Now I just gotta cop a cheap pair of demos haha. (climbing and camping gear is already maxing out my 50lb check on haha.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    There's also Araphoe glacier to the south in the Indian Peaks. But it is a big hike in.
    Arapahoe Glacier is massively illegal to ski, and well-patrolled. There are, however, many other fine lines in the IPW to ski in the summer. I'd expect Neva, Apache, and Navajo to for sure still be in come early July, but there will probably be other things too.

Quote Originally Posted by infamouslyjones View Post
    Beta is greatly appreciated! Especially to an out of towner.

Ill be looking to get some turns in that Sunday (July 3rd) as Ill be staying at the Glacier Basin Campground. Ill be with my GF who doesn't ski but likes to hike so a short hike in is preferable. Ill be sure to check out all these zones. coming from skiing backcountry in the northeast - ill hike for the goods for sure. Now I just gotta cop a cheap pair of demos haha. (climbing and camping gear is already maxing out my 50lb check on haha.
    Pack tent, etc in cheap Coleman cooler, drill a couple holes, zip tie and duct tape and ship it. Easy cheap way to get gear back and forth.

Rollins Pass just across the way from Winter Park always has skiable lines through August. Even in august you can ski 800+ vert.

It's a killer spot up a long dirt road with a bunch of old train stuff scattered about and tons of free camping around too.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

this is one of the first pitches up from the parking area across the ridge at Rollins. It probably serves up around 600 vert of steep.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0855.JPG 
Views:	122 
Size:	297.2 KB 
ID:	183761
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Be sure and drink some Corona's!^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Arapahoe Glacier is massively illegal to ski, and well-patrolled. There are, however, many other fine lines in the IPW to ski in the summer. I'd expect Neva, Apache, and Navajo to for sure still be in come early July, but there will probably be other things too.
    Glad i posted stupid things before making the hike up there again. I wandered s arapahoe peak, but am now remembering that glacier is in the watershed with its asinine rules.

Quote Originally Posted by capulin overdrive View Post
    Be sure and drink some Corona's!^^^^^^^
    Huh? Have we had some Corona's up on Rollins after skiing?
    dirtbag, not a dentist

If staying at Glacier Basin campground in RMNP, consider skiing Flattop Mountain. Start at the Bear Lake parking lot just a bit west of your camp site. If skiing solo and from sea level, I'd advise the Flattop Mountain Trail to the north facing decent about half a mile past tree line. Described in "Front Range Descents" by Haddad and Faughey as an intermediate descent, you can ski this slope without climbing the snowfield (a rarity in July). Descend to Fern Lake Trail and hike back to Bear Lake parking lot. I skied in 3 days ago and it was great. Awfully soft without a freeze forecast between now and then, so ski it really early in the day. It's about 5 miles round trip and 2500 vert. Or hike another 3/4 of a mile to the summit for a bit more difficult north facing descent to Lake Helen and return to Bear Lake parking lot via Fern Lake trail.

There are usually sizable patches near Lava cliffs & the Alpine visitors center

Breck...4th of July bowl
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Sundance Mountain in RMNP may be an option too. Especially if you SO wants to take a scenic drive up Old Fall River Road (if it is open by then) and pick you up at the bottom.

http://climbinglife.com/snow/rmnp-ba...ain-north-face

Each and every one of you are my hero! appreciate the info - the stoke is real! Now its time to bare the torture of leaving my skis and boots at home and finding a place to rent nearby hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    this is one of the first pitches up from the parking area across the ridge at Rollins. It probably serves up around 600 vert of steep.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0855.JPG 
Views:	122 
Size:	297.2 KB 
ID:	183761
    Now that's more my style!

Yes! I spent two years in Colorado and skied every month for those two years. My friends and I skied all over northern Colorado to piece together the best endless winter possible and we found Rollins to be the most accessible and best option. In early July after a good year you can find long steep couloirs to ski and all through August there are a couple of 800+ vert pitches. The road up was smooth too, but this was in the mid 90's. I don't remember exactly but I'm pretty sure the forrest service road is almost literally across the street from the Winter Park ski area.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

I think that it's worth mentioning that most of what is left will likely be steep and quite firm so many skiable lines will be slide for life potential. I was witness to this incident on Trailridge/Sundance last year. http://m.estesparknews.com/rmnp_news....html?mode=jqm

I also skied a line a few years back where someone else a few weeks later fell to his death.

So hopefully you know skiing steeps and have whippet/iceaxe/crampons and be careful what you get into.

Quote Originally Posted by smitchell333 View Post
    I think that it's worth mentioning that most of what is left will likely be steep and quite firm so many skiable lines will be slide for life potential. I was witness to this incident on Trailridge/Sundance last year. http://m.estesparknews.com/rmnp_news....html?mode=jqm

I also skied a line a few years back where someone else a few weeks later fell to his death.

So hopefully you know skiing steeps and have whippet/iceaxe/crampons and be careful what you get into.
    Appreciate the heads up. We might not have high elevation out here but im a regular in the white mountains and it gets as steep as anywhere.

If I did do anything steep it would be something in the sun and early in the day. More or less looking for some snow fields and what not.

Appreciate the heads up. We might not have high elevation out here but im a regular in the white mountains and it gets as steep as anywhere.

If I did do anything steep it would be something in the sun and early in the day. More or less looking for some snow fields and what not.
    Sounds like you have the experience.

Go get it and enjoy, summer patch skiing is some of my favorite in Colorado - blue skies, warm temps, corn snow, and fields of wildflowers.

Some people get in over their head thinking the summer stuff is super casual (can be if conditions are soft and the line is mellow) but it can be serious if over rocks and super firm and steep.

Timing is hard to predict. Sometimes you can't be early enough and sometimes it'll be rock hard all day. But generally you're right get it on a sunny day and in the AM ( thunderstorms are a big threat in the PM around here in the summer too)

Quote Originally Posted by smitchell333 View Post
    Sounds like you have the experience.

Go get it and enjoy, summer patch skiing is some of my favorite in Colorado - blue skies, warm temps, corn snow, and fields of wildflowers.

Some people get in over their head thinking the summer stuff is super casual (can be if conditions are soft and the line is mellow) but it can be serious if over rocks and super firm and steep.

Timing is hard to predict. Sometimes you can't be early enough and sometimes it'll be rock hard all day. But generally you're right get it on a sunny day and in the AM ( thunderstorms are a big threat in the PM around here in the summer too)
    Yea ive been reading about the storm problem in the afternoon. From Google earth it looks like all the lines on Sundance are on the northside with some possible fields on the west - I assume that north side would be in the shade all day.

Looking like Ill drive the road up and look for patches and what not. Get an early start and just see what happens. Ill be in arches for 2 days before then so some snow will be much welcomed. just trying to get some summer turns in. Getting pumped. Thanks again guys!

Yea ive been reading about the storm problem in the afternoon. From Google earth it looks like all the lines on Sundance are on the northside with some possible fields on the west - I assume that north side would be in the shade all day.
    The sun angle is high enough right now that all aspects receive sun.

June 29-July 4th CO Shred Possible?

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    The sun angle is high enough right now that all aspects receive sun.
    Yep

In the summer the sun moves north enough that some N aspects can get MORE sun than some south aspects.
    Last edited by smitchell333; 06-17-2016 at 02:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    Huh? Have we had some Corona's up on Rollins after skiing?

No, it's a pun. As Rollins is also known as Corona.