Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post

What's the dry weight of that camper, 3k?.
    yep, 3k towing. Could easily pulled with the 11 4Runner and a small camper would be no issue. Just found this to be a good deal and will upgrade in a couple years to larger, dual axle in future.

A big, wet, rolled in fish dog is not fun coming back from camping when in the 4runner

Nice camper. I have a similar size (but no slide out bed, looks like yours has that). I actually got rid of the Frontier because of towing it. The Frontier could have handled it, but the Sequoia does so more ably. Plus the Frontiers of my vintage had transmission issues, and I didn't want to deal with that.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Love my taco. Only 2wd and bench seat. Bought it five years old with 67k in 2005 for 9k. It has 344k on it and still kicking. Needs a rear break job and a tune. The thing is hard to kill. If you are planning to kill something, avoid the taco.

I like my 07 taco kinda

Fuel economy blows and the 5' bed isn't that helpful

The thing is a monster off road and has been dead nuts reliable. The 4 crew cab is pretty comfortable. For me the pickup vs 4 runner debate was solved by my dad having a 4 runner when I was a kid. The SUV is great till you have wood/wet shit/dead animals to haul in the back, then you sure wish you had a pickup!

Seems like you don't drive enough to warrant, but i'd be jealous if you went for a Chevy Colorado w/duramax.
    Drive slow, homie.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Lots of other reasons, to me. I considered a double cab toyo or frontier last year. I would have bought used. Not enough rear seat space for my three kids for longer trips was my assessment. The ability to haul shit that I would prefer outside the cab was what I gave up; stuff like firewood, dirt, sand, and random dirty outdoor stuff. I've gotten both my minivan and land cruiser (what I ended up getting) super grungy on the interior hauling stuff. And that include using a tarp. I also use a smallish utility trailer, which helps, but has limitations.

I remember traveling around the South Island of NZ for several weeks 15 years ago and noticing all of the double cab hilux's being used as rural work trucks. I thought (and still think) that there are plenty of advantages to the shorter wheel base. At the time. I wondered why they didn't have similar trucks in NA.
    It's the chicken tax (I'm not making this shit up) that prevents us from being able to purchase a reasonably priced, basic spec, last forever turbo diesel Hilux that just about everyone I know would buy if they could. North American manufacturers seem to be devoting all their design ingenuity into maximizing the size of truck grills.

I got a 2009 Frontier extended cab new. The seats in the extended cab are for the most part either useless or extremely uncomfortable, though we can put a kids seat in the back if the front seat passenger has short legs. There was no debate about getting a double cab, however, because I probably spend 30 nights a year sleeping in the back of it and that is only feasible if you have a six foot bed.

I get 15 in town and 22 on the highway and it has loads of power for passing and towing. It's capable off road and good in snow, though I get nervous with it on ice or ice/snow (I have Michelin LTX AT2 tires); it does squiggle more than I'd like on ice.

Zero issues at all despite the fact that the check engine light goes on and off with some regularity; I'm at 74000 miles.

I originally wanted a Taco because that's what all the cool kids had but the Nissan was specced identical or better than the Taco and the price, as stated previously, was about $3.5k lower.

"It's the chicken tax "

Thank you ^^ repeat the words Google it a and read why we don't have those cool cars & trucks they have in them uther countries

Along with the UAW oppositions, there is the fact they don't meet NA safety regs or design standards so they probably don't work very well on our highways

My buddy has a 96 surf non turbo deisel from Japan which sounds totally cool eh, well in real life its a fucking stone cuz at 60 mph on the highway it wouldn't go any faster and she had a major repair costing >2k ... buying a NA vehical would have been much better

Everyone who has ever wondered why should Google chicken tax
    Last edited by XXX-er; 06-27-2016 at 12:02 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

So the trigger got pulled today. Plan was to go to both dealers, test drive/get pricing/value trade/etc. Went to Toyota first, drove a TRD Off Road. Very nice, feels like a car. Only complaint (and it's not really a complaint) is no power seat available at any level. After drive sales manager values trade and runs the numbers, asks if I'm ready to sign I tell him no I'm going to the Nissan dealer. He tells me they have a 2016 Frontier Pro 4x that somebody just traded earlier that week, only 1200 miles. Apparently didn't like it, traded for a 4Runner but it's fully loaded. Take it for a drive, definitely more truck-like than the Taco but not bad, plus this thing is loaded up with everything I want +. Get back, find out the price on the Frontier is $9K less than the Taco so the Frontier won. Color's not my first choice and I'd post pics but it's been raining here all day and it's already covered with mud. Maybe next week. Thanks for all the advice...

edit: I have to say that if it weren't for this deal, if it was new vs. new I probably would have gone with the Taco but $9K was too much to ignore.
    Last edited by Garth Bimble; 07-01-2016 at 09:06 PM.
    The Sheriff is near!

I've got just over 100k on my '07 double cab 4wd Frontier. I've had some maintenance issues. Front drums rusted and cracked. But that was probably a bit my fault for not doing a better job of washing off mud/grime/road deicer during the winter months. My drive belt was going, and lucky it was under warranty before it went, but just by a month and a few hundred miles. Just had to replace fuel sensors, and fuel filter. Right front hub went bad too, but may have been part of not doing better maintenance. Other than that, I have hauled and pulled all sort so stuff these past 9 years, and it handles well off road. Put snow tires on in winter and a few hundred pounds in the back and it gets me through the ice and snow. Like most have said, the MPG is not the greatest. About 15/16 in city and 21/22 on hwy. I am going to drive it until the diesel mid-size Ford Ranger and Frontiers come out, and then do some comparison shopping, and unload the Frontier. By then, should have about 150k on it.

I owned a Subaru Outback, and that was a great all-weather machine. Nothing handles like it in snow. So, I might go Subaru too. But it's nice having a truck to just throw stuff in the back. Trees/shrubs, bags of sand, dirt, fertilizer, etc. Hauled lots of bricks, and gravel as well. Hope you enjoy that fully loaded Frontier.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch