Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    I guess I've been extremely lucky with the Reverb. Two hard seasons of flawless performance without so much as a single bleed. Now 1 1/2 seasons on the rebuild of the same post.

Had good luck with the pre-LEV KS in the past.

New BikeYoke "Revive" post looks really good.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/bikeyok...drop-post.html
    "An IFP design requires a perfect finished surface of ID and OD, of both, inner and outer tubes in the hydraulic circuit. There is a high defective rate during production and is also difficult to keep the quality stable. This means those tubes are very expensive to produce."

So they're pocketing the cost savings? Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by esseff View Post
    Air-spring droppers are the probably the most likely failure point on any bike.
    FIFY

I kill several tires a season. I've only had to fix a dropper post.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Hmm. Now that you mention it, brake pads don't outlive air-sprung droppers, do they?

I don't think consumables (pads, tires) should be expected to outlast a dropper. Or are some of you holding out hope for a tire that never wears out but also provides great grip?

Quote Originally Posted by radam View Post
    I don't think consumables (pads, tires) should be expected to outlast a dropper. Or are some of you holding out hope for a tire that never wears out but also provides great grip?
    I'm still waiting for tires (at least on my trail bike) that do wear out before getting holes in the casing and don't weigh 1200g. Instead we get "hey look over here at this new size of the same pinner casings!".

Point being, I've had two KS lev seatposts. The first one needed to be rebuilt twice in 3 years. The 2nd one is going strong on its second full year with no issues. I think they're good now. Dropper posts still could use some improvement/development obviously but I wouldn't put it at the top of my 'still not there list'. I pull my suspension forks apart more often than I need to do anything with my seatposts as well. I guess every post is a little different and some worse than others. I just don't think about them any more.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Regular service and replacement parts are required for high performing bikes. I think my Reverb dropper post is pretty low on my maintenance list.
    High to low frequency:
    -Tire pressure adjust
    -Chain lube, drivetrain clean
    -Tire replacement
    -Suspension service
    -Brake pad replacement
    -Brake bleed
    -Pivot/linkage lube
    -Dropper post bleed

Asking for a "set it and forget" dropper is like never servicing your suspension or running your brake pads down to metal. Your bike needs constant maintenance and service. The

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    I'm still waiting for tires (at least on my trail bike) that do wear out before getting holes in the casing and don't weigh 1200g. Instead we get "hey look over here at this new size of the same pinner casings!".
    Well okay, that I can get behind. Though I would like to see more 2.4-2.6" offerings. Seems like a sub-1000g 2.5" tire that doesn't disintegrate would be very much in the realm of possibility if the mfgs just would give it a go.

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    Bumping this read bc I've had 3 failed/seized Reverbs since the start of the season and I'm done with them.

I'm going to warranty my Stealth that seized up on me yesterday, sell it and replace it another dropper. I hear the Race Face Turbine is the way to go. Is anyone running this?

I'm also curious about ease of installation on the Turbine.
    Word of mouth only, but I've read lots of reliability complaints with the Race Face. I know of two locally that haven't had too many problems, though. The online consensus (FWIW) is that although RF licensed the 9.8 design, the build quality isn't as good. If you're not in a rush and you can spend the 6 weeks on a waiting list, that sounds like the way to go. Or get a Gravity Dropper.

The old 3 position Command post from Spesh has been pretty good around these parts...

Set up on the turbine is a bit more exacting/annoying but in operation its excellent. Have had no issues with mine all year.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Asking for a "set it and forget" dropper is like never servicing your suspension or running your brake pads down to metal. Your bike needs constant maintenance and service.
    This is how I see it. It's easy to take for granted how much we abuse these bikes. Having said that, when a reverb gets stuck down mid-ride it's a major pain in the ass.

My reverb shit the big one really quick. It's toast.

I agree. I was just being a smart ass.
    A woman came up to me and said "I'd like to poison your mind
    with wrong ideas that appeal to you, though I am not unkind."

The Gravity Dropper is about as close to set and forget as I can imagine. The parts are all replaceable but the only wear items appear to be the guides and their associated slots, which will keep working just fine but eventually (years?) probably let the seat move enough to encourage replacement of those bits. Risk of mid-ride failure is just about zero. But, yeah, you give up infinite adjustability.

I have a reverb but I'm thinking infinite adjustability is kinda overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    I have a reverb but I'm thinking infinite adjustability is kinda overrated.
    I agree. I use 3 settings.

Road style max for a slog up or flat rail trail stuff.

Normal mtn bike mixed. So a little lower.

Way down for steeps.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    My reverb shit the big one really quick. It's toast.
    Real quick, as in just outside the 2 year warranty period?
    The 1.5 year old Reverb was not performing properly on my GF's bike, after a bleed and some adjusting at home it still wast not working properly. I went to LBS, he called in the serial# and described the problem, and an RA was made on the spot, and SRAM shipped a new post out that day. 3 days later we were ridding again with a brand new, 2 years of warranty, Reverb.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Real quick, as in just outside the 2 year warranty period?
    The 1.5 year old Reverb was not performing properly on my GF's bike, after a bleed and some adjusting at home it still wast not working properly. I went to LBS, he called in the serial# and described the problem, and an RA was made on the spot, and SRAM shipped a new post out that day. 3 days later we were ridding again with a brand new, 2 years of warranty, Reverb.
    This is what's kept me on Reverbs. I get a new one about every year.

On the reverb note, I just had my trigger rebuilt today due to wear (after about 14 months and 2500 miles) and the guy in the shop told me they came out with a slightly updated version just a few months ago.

Well okay, that I can get behind. Though I would like to see more 2.4-2.6" offerings. Seems like a sub-1000g 2.5" tire that doesn't disintegrate would be very much in the realm of possibility if the mfgs just would give it a go.
    Nobody can even make a 2.3 tire that doesn't disintegrate and weighs less than 1000g. Which is exactly my point......someone needs to figure this out before just going 'hey look over here, different size now, trust us this will totally work, even though the small ones still don't'

gah.......tires This is why I can't bitch about seatposts. All the hate is still taken up with tires

The e13 post looks simple and promising: http://www.pinkbike.com/news/ethirte...bike-2016.html

I have had several Reverbs. None have failed completely on me, but all have developed a little bit of sag over time.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    On the reverb note, I just had my trigger rebuilt today due to wear (after about 14 months and 2500 miles) and the guy in the shop told me they came out with a slightly updated version just a few months ago.
    I had a 2015 reverb that started to sag after a few months use, got it warrantied with a new 2016 B1 reverb a few weeks ago and on the first ride the trigger button started leaking oil with each push. Didn't discover it until halfway through the 1-1/2 hr ride, actuation was getting REALLY slow and I basically had a few presses left before there wouldn't be enough fluid to raise/lower the post. Got the remote warrantied and now things are fine, but it's not exactly encouraging.

Mine started failing about two months in. It progressively has become worse. It's really bad now...like 3" of sag. My shop took the serial number and that's where it stands. That was at least a month ago. I need to call them and see where it's at.

I'm looking at it as a training enhancer...every pedal stroke takes a little more to move forward.

Truly though, I don't train. I don't care to train. I'm a fun hog. I just want to ride for fun. Then have a beer down by the river...with my friends

I had a 2015 reverb that started to sag after a few months use, got it warrantied with a new 2016 B1 reverb a few weeks ago and on the first ride the trigger button started leaking oil with each push. Didn't discover it until halfway through the 1-1/2 hr ride, actuation was getting REALLY slow and I basically had a few presses left before there wouldn't be enough fluid to raise/lower the post. Got the remote warrantied and now things are fine, but it's not exactly encouraging.
    This is why I like the KS cable-actuated design. If a cable goes awry on a ride, there's at least a good chance you can fix it in the field. I've had a Lev for three years now with no issues that couldn't be fixed by adjusting the cable. I also had a KS eTen before that that worked great for a year or two.

Pro tip: buy an eTen for your wife/girlfriend's bike. Then, if your dropper has to go back for warranty repair, borrow hers...
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey