Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    why no quiver? I really see zero downside to a quiver.

If not a car, why not get an SUV for DD duties? It'll handle better in the snow than a truck.

Well the Focus will be safer, more fun to drive, less expensive to buy and insure and more comfortable on your daily 60 mile commute. How beat up is your Tundra? What exactly is wrong with it? Unless the frame is rusted out and there are holes in the floorboards, it can be brought back to a good driving and handling condition for very little money.

It really sounds like you want validation about buying a new expensive truck that you'll only need the capabilities of a few times a year.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    It really sounds like you want validation about buying a new expensive truck that you'll only need the capabilities of a few times a year.
    QFT.

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    but a 26-mpg diesel Chevy ticks a lot boxes, although it's initial price tag is a big issue.
    I'm not a big fan of Dodge (YMMV), but isn't the Ram 1500 diesel less expensive than the diesel Colorado/Canyon, gets better MPG, and would provide you the space to sleep in the bed under a topper?

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    Of course, I can see that there are contradictions in what I want from my next vehicle. Part of the process is realizing where to compromise and what to prioritize, which I'm still working out.
    Have you test driven any of the (serious) options you've asked about in this thread? That will either narrow down your search (you'll drive some and realize you dislike the fit/finish, powertrain, seating position, etc), or you won't notice any difference (which means you can just buy the least-expensive option you can find, like a 3-year old Nissan Frontier).
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I'd love to have a car quiver. (Focus RS, diesel Colorado, Sportsman RV.) But it mainly comes down to cost and storage. The latter would be a particular problem where I live.

Aaron, no doubt, part of me wants to validate the purchase of a new truck, which would be pretty fucking cool if probably impractical. But I've owned a truck for the past six years and a variety of SUVs and cars before that. I'm not sure why you'd think a truck would only be an advantage a "few times" a year. That hasn't been my personal experience. As for practicality, the Focus RS is flat ridiculous. What makes more sense are the smaller econo-box SUV/Subarus that can be had for under $30k.

Honestly, what makes the most sense is for me to take my wife's piece-of-shit Forester as my DD and buy her a 4Runner Trail, which I could use when needed. But I hate the Forester and if you think snow country is tough on a car, you should see what my kids can do. Also, I'm a selfish asshole.

A small sedan is probably one of the most practical cars there is. For 99% of the driving most of us do on a daily basis, anything else is overkill. Of course if you don't have room for three vehicles that changes things. What I'm saying is that even if you need the capabilities of your truck 20-30 times a year it still makes more sense to buy that awd sedan and keep your old truck(if you have room) than buying a $40k+ diesel Colorado. The Ram 1500 ecodiesel makes more sense if you want a truck that is useful and gets decent fuel economy, but even that's not really practical given your commute. Of course thousands of people do make long commutes in pickups and other larger SUVs but I think that's mostly vanity.

Honestly, a sedan won't work in the winter unless, like a Subaru, it had good clearance. But I get your point about only needing a truck's features part of the time.

As for the vanity thing . . . it's definitely a skewing factor, but, at the same time, it shouldn't be completely ignored. If somebody is going to spend $20k+ on a vehicle, it's not only important that it meet their utilitarian needs, but they should also like the thing. Like I said, a Subaru makes a lot of sense but, subjectively, I'm not crazy about them. In other words, there's nothing wrong with sacrificing some practicality to drive something you actually like. To your point though, the diesel Chevy may skew more to want I subjectively like as opposed to what I need/can afford.

I had previously thought that the Ram 1500 diesel didn't come in 4wd. Will check it out.

El Chup- I haven't driven any of these yet.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I'm not a big fan of Dodge (YMMV), but isn't the Ram 1500 diesel less expensive than the diesel Colorado/Canyon, gets better MPG, and would provide you the space to sleep in the bed under a topper?
    The Ecodiesel has some major issues, stemming from them pressfit-ing gears onto the cam. Also has a fair amount of oil cooler failures. I'd stay far far away from that engine, and Chrysler in general. I don't believe it had any time to be vetted overseas. Probably good to wait another couple years. But still, Chrysler blows.
    "The world is a very puzzling place. If you're not willing to be puzzled you just become a replica of someone else's mind." Chomsky

"This system make of us slaves. Without dignity. Without depth. No? With a devil in our pocket. This incredible money in our pocket. This money. This shit. This nothing. This paper who have nothing inside." Jodorowsky

Quote Originally Posted by Swine View Post
    The Ecodiesel has some major issues, stemming from them pressfit-ing gears onto the cam. Also has a fair amount of oil cooler failures. I'd stay far far away from that engine, and Chrysler in general. I don't believe it had any time to be vetted overseas. Probably good to wait another couple years. But still, Chrysler blows.
    They should have put the 4bt in the Ram 1500.

Chevy Colorado is a good looking rig, but I just go full size and spend the same money. Better towing, etc. Maybe 5-6 mpg less.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    They should have put the 4bt in the Ram 1500.
    Fully agree. But it seems like FCA is hellbent on churning out more sub-par junk.
    "The world is a very puzzling place. If you're not willing to be puzzled you just become a replica of someone else's mind." Chomsky

"This system make of us slaves. Without dignity. Without depth. No? With a devil in our pocket. This incredible money in our pocket. This money. This shit. This nothing. This paper who have nothing inside." Jodorowsky

the emotional response of new truck bling is strong!

i'm a big fan of the quiver of used cars (justifying my own decisions). for the higher clearance fun commuter-type vehicle: my vote, the older version of the acura rdx. tacky road tires in the summer and studded snows in the winter = fun commute.

if you want to get the tundra baselined for a another 6+ years of use, i'm sure there are some very good toyota truck mechanics in the reno area. if not, there are several good ones in the GV/NC area, including a career-long retired toyota dealer mechanic. he has a bit of a wait list from mom-mobiles to land cruisers to vehicles built and designed for track use. let me know if you need contact info.

Quote Originally Posted by Swine View Post
    Thats part of the reason I decided to trade my tundra in for the new Titan XD diesel. After test driving everything out there it seems like it is way better built than the dodge, has the cummings engine... and since its Japanese it should theoretically be more reliable then the dodges. I wish Toyota would have brought in a new diesel replacement for the Tundra as I have always said I wish I had a truck that was slightly larger, with a bit more payload but I dont want a full ¾ or 1 ton.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    the emotional response of new truck bling is strong!
    It's almost as bad as picking up a new mountain bike.

"I'd like to put together something reasonable using existing parts and an aluminum frame. [$7,000 later.] Check out my new carbon hotness with XX1 everything!"

Just to put my .02 in... Haven't driven the brand new little trucks but I have an 08 taco that I've put about 15k on so far. It's sweet for forest service roads. The 6 speed manual blows, hate to say it but I wish I had the auto, the 6mt has lots of known issues and a low od gear. I have a small lift and 33's, I get about 16 mpg no matter what. The locker is sweet, I've used it about 10 times in the 6 months I've had my truck. The new taco seems great, their so expensive though I would buy a 3-4 year old cummins for the same money and have twice the truck with the same fuel economy and better resale

We have a 2012 colorado in the usfs that I've spent some time in. That thing is a friggin turd. Tiny inside, no power, no ground clearance etc

The new 1/2 ton rams are nice but they don't have much ground clearance, if you go new full size the f150s are pretty slick. In the usfs we have v6 and v8 f150s, the v6 has plenty of power and gets just under 20 mpg. They do good off road too