Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2016 roof boxes

2016 roof boxes

Mine was stolen (again). At least this time they didn't remove my rack from the car with a crow bar. I recon they probably drilled out one of the locks.

I'm looking on Craigslist but will need to drive skis across the country in 2 months. If I buy new the best deal at the moment on a long enough box is a rocketbox 11. Is there any reason I shouldn't buy one. Should I shell out the extra $50 for a Skybox 12? Don't think I need anything bigger as we'll be getting a second car with plenty of space. It'll hold skis and not much else.

Thanks.

I think REI has its 20%-off Sale on Yakima and Thule right now. I bought my Yakima box from REI on one of these sales, because I expect it to break someday, and REI seems like a good place to run a warranty claim through. Yakima supposedly warranties these for life.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

^^^^ Yeah, that's what I'm looking at. REI also has a 20% off coupon starting in a couple days that lasts through the end of the month. Active Junky rebate should cover sales tax.

Just throwing it out there..... I have a Sonic XXL in CO I'd let go for $450.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Just throwing it out there..... I have a Sonic XXL in CO I'd let go for $450.
    Thanks, but I'll need box on my way to CO.

I figured, but if anyone else is looking, I need to sell mine and get a lower profile one so the wife's car will fit in the garage with it.

Any reason you're going Yakima instead of Thule? I'm picking one up from the REI Anniversary sale and debating between the Skybox 18 or Thule Force XL.

spring for the packasport. used on CL. insurance should give you something for the stolen one?
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by spchin24 View Post
    Any reason you're going Yakima instead of Thule? I'm picking one up from the REI Anniversary sale and debating between the Skybox 18 or Thule Force XL.
    Six of one, half dozen of the other. But the current-gen Thules clear tailgate spoilers on things like 4Runners and Outbacks because the mounting points are farther back on the body of the box. Something to be aware of. I have a Sonic XL (4Runner) and my buddy has a Force XL (Outback). Skybox 18 doesn't clear on my 4Runner and I'm pretty sure it's the same with the Outback. Search Tech Talk, there are some thread discussions on the subject.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by spchin24 View Post
    My Yakima held up better than my Thule. But I wasn't aware of the hatch interference issue. Good info as we have a hatchback and will be adding an SUV or wagon.

If you poke around on their sites, you can find info on how to figure out the measurements for your hatch and which ones will work; it's not uniform across models. I recently did this for my wife's Pilot. Only a few from each brand would work.

I still have the links somewhere, if you can't find them.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I went to REI to check out the boxes in person and the Yakima is built much better than the Thule. I'm comparing the Skybox Carbonite 18 against the Force XL. The Thule was flimsy as hell- it would barely close one handed because the lid deformed so much. The Yakima was much more sturdy so I'll be going with that one.

I generally encourage people to pick one brand (Yakima or Thule) and stick with it. Doesn't matter which one. But once you've picked a system it makes sense to stick with it. Matching locks, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    spring for the packasport. used on CL. insurance should give you something for the stolen one?
    This is the best answer.

Just picked up a rocketbox 11 from rei on sale. $303 new plus tax. Not too shabby. Fits my outback perfectly. Given the warranty, I am pretty optimistic it will be all I need. Definitely enough space
    No gnar was harmed in the writing of this post...

https://www.yakima.com/skybox-lo-carbonite

picked this up this spring, fit five pairs of skis, five pairs of boots, five pairs of skis and five ice axes after my last trip. not dip in the mpg and looks sexy.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    spring for the packasport. used on CL
    Came here to say this. Never again will I use anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Mine was stolen (again). At least this time they didn't remove my rack from the car with a crow bar. I recon they probably drilled out one of the locks.
    Wait. You have had two stolen? This is a first for me. I even started a thread a while back asking if anybody has had their box fucked with. Tell us more. Was the first actually crowbarred off, as you imply? How about the second? Just, gone? But with no damage to the bars? Where was the car parked? On the street in Red Hook or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Wait. You have had two stolen? This is a first for me. I even started a thread a while back asking if anybody has had their box fucked with. Tell us more. Was the first actually crowbarred off, as you imply? How about the second? Just, gone? But with no damage to the bars? Where was the car parked? On the street in Red Hook or something?
    The first was crow-barred off the roof in Bay Ridge. After I replaced it (and patched up my roof), I kept the box in the basement when I wasn't using it. The second disappeared like smoke in Windsor Terrace, where I don't have enough storage space for it to not get in the way, so I left it on the car more frequently. Both very safe neighborhoods by NYC standards. Both parked on the street.

Thefts were about 4 years apart. I called the cops the first time. They said it happens once in a while but they'd never seen it done with a crowbar.

Also, I see a bunch for on craigslist in MA. Night buy one there when visiting family before the move. No Packasports though.

Check your local Sports Authority

^^^ Good ideas. Looks like some carry Thule boxes. I'll call the one near my mom's house.

Edit: just called. Two Thule boxes in stock. They were too busy too find out what kind.
    Last edited by I've seen black diamonds!; 05-26-2016 at 08:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    The first was crow-barred off the roof in Bay Ridge. After I replaced it (and patched up my roof), I kept the box in the basement when I wasn't using it. The second disappeared like smoke in Windsor Terrace, where I don't have enough storage space for it to not get in the way, so I left it on the car more frequently. Both very safe neighborhoods by NYC standards. Both parked on the street.

Thefts were about 4 years apart. I called the cops the first time. They said it happens once in a while but they'd never seen it done with a crowbar.
    Maybe you should move to Ct..

Seriously. It's why I live in the burbs. At least you can own a car, without some scumbag fucking with it weekly. Again, this is the first time I have heard of a box being fucked with, after all these years.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Maybe you should move to Ct..

Seriously. It's why I live in the burbs. At least you can own a car, without some scumbag fucking with it weekly. Again, this is the first time I have heard of a box being fucked with, after all these years.
    Moving to CO this summer.

Good move. Just stay away from Pueblo. They have junkies out in paradise, too.