QuiverKiller insert repair

Had an insert pullout when I was taking the bindings off. I can upload a picture later but there didn't appear to be any water damage just seemed like the epoxy gave way.
    Can this be repaired or is a new mount required? The binding guy at my shop is out until Monday so thought I'd ping you guys.

Can be repaired.

The more involved, more expensive, and more bomber option is to drill bigger, tap, drop in a helicoil, drive in insert. Binding Freedom used to sell a repair kit but apparently stopped. Not sure why.

The quick fix option is to fill hole with epoxy, re-drill, re-tap, and try new insert.

is it clear that it destroyed the QK thread, and not just unscrewed? I have had a few back out in minimal core skis. I just reglue and rescrew.

Quote Originally Posted by dschane View Post
    Can be repaired.

The more involved, more expensive, and more bomber option is to drill bigger, tap, drop in a helicoil, drive in insert.
    FTR: Heli Coil Thread Repair Kit 5521-5 (5/16"-18)
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Contact QK and send some pics. They may have a solution for you.

If it unscrewed from the hole just reglue and re install. It's possible the inserts had cutting oil on them that didn't get cleaned off. You could soak the removed inserts in alcohol for a bit then let them dry prior to reinstallation.

Quote Originally Posted by dschane View Post
    Can be repaired.

The more involved, more expensive, and more bomber option is to drill bigger, tap, drop in a helicoil, drive in insert. Binding Freedom used to sell a repair kit but apparently stopped. Not sure why.

The quick fix option is to fill hole with epoxy, re-drill, re-tap, and try new insert.
    Well shit. I have the repair kit. I've only had to use it once or twice and it worked good. I have another insert spinning and I think I only have one more insert heli coil left. I was hoping to restock to have a couple in case. Maybe contact binding freedom or try their search bar. Something's are listed on the site but show up with the search bar

As far as I can tell, Alpinord doesn't stock it either, so he's just giving out free info.

But you can find that kit he referenced lots of places. If you know the size of the heli-coils, they're easy to find too.

May be tough to tell, but is it possible you bottomed out the bolt in the insert? That might have done it but youre probably right with the epoxy.

Yes, it was just fly by spec to search for the correct heli coil if anyone needed to repair ss threaded insert pullouts. I got an extra 5/16-8 kit sitting here, however, if anyone needs it.

It's still not clear if the OP had a pull out or if the QKs just backed out with the screw. As mentioned for the latter case, try cleaning and re-epoxy.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

May need further inspection. Nice to know the helicopter coil isn't a specialty item. I thought everyone attempts to reinvent the wheel

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
    Yes, it was just fly by spec to search for the correct heli coil if anyone needed to repair ss threaded insert pullouts. I got an extra 5/16-8 kit sitting here, however, if anyone needs it.

It's still not clear if the OP had a pull out or if the QKs just backed out with the screw. As mentioned for the latter case, try cleaning and re-epoxy.
    It didn't rip out just backed out while unscrewing. I accidentally used the wrong screw (too long) and maybe tightening it too much before realizing it and unscrewing it. I didn't get a chance to check this weekend and now I'm traveling for work but I'm pretty sure I'll just be able to glue it and crew back in. Thanks for the tips guys!

Re-tap and re-epoxy a clean new insert in the existing hole.
    Only go to heli-coils if it ripped out and took the threads with it.
    Leave No Turn Unstoned!

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    May need further inspection. Nice to know the helicopter coil isn't a specialty item. I thought everyone attempts to reinvent the wheel
    The world as we know it would cease to exist if there were no helicoils ;-)

...Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Had two pairs of skis done and about 1/2 I had to redo just by re-epoxying . Two were spinners that I took back to the shop and they fixed them.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by DougW View Post
    Had two pairs of skis done and about 1/2 I had to redo just by re-epoxying . Two were spinners that I took back to the shop and they fixed them.
    Wow, not sure I'd go back there. I've probably done 400-500 inserts and am unaware of that happening, and I'm not terribly skilled at anything involving my hands. I can, however, follow instructions.

I seem to recall that some of the early QK inserts were not pickled and may have had some machining oil on them. Whether pickled or not, I suggest washing inserts with Dawn dish detergent and water, thoroughly rinsing them and allowing them to dry before installing. It's quick and easy: Throw the inserts into a Nalgene bottle with Dawn and water, and shake 'em up. Repeat with water only a few times to rinse. Then put them on paper towel to air dry. Also, be sure to wash your hands before installing the cleaned up inserts.

I do the above for any bolts and nuts I'm Locktiteing too. And, FWIW, Dawn & water + rinsing + drying also works great for de-oiling/degreasing alloy steel and stainless steel before silver brazing. Dawn is good stuff to have in the shop.
    Last edited by Big Steve; 05-10-2016 at 06:33 PM.

Good points Steve! On a related note, my wife always knows to ask me if I've run off with her ultrasonic jewelry cleaner

Cheers,
    Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

I was a bit of a pain but they charged me the same amount as the retail for the inserts plus gave me the bolts though some were too long.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.