Volkl 100Eight??

Anyone have experience on the Volkl 100eight??? Would love to know how they ski, and how they hold-up to abuse (a little worried about durability without a sidewall...)

Got a line on a cheap new pair, thinking about putting Kingpins on them for a light but solid AT set-up. Thoughts from the masses???
    Skiing, whether you're in Wisconsin or the Alps, is a dumbass hick country sport that takes place in the middle of winter on a mountain at the end of a dirt road.
    -Glen Plake

Took a couple of quick demo runs on them in mixed conditions post powder, soft chop. They held an edge well on groomers, pivoted well and felt light and maneuverable, but didn't have much pop or rebound, at least not like the BMT 109. They felt a bit burlier more damp than the 109 though, but less lively. They would make a good powder ski I'll bet and are certainly light enough to tour on. For a good price they'd be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wetdog View Post
    Took a couple of quick demo runs on them in mixed conditions post powder, soft chop. They held an edge well on groomers, pivoted well and felt light and maneuverable, but didn't have much pop or rebound, at least not like the BMT 109. They felt a bit burlier more damp than the 109 though, but less lively. They would make a good powder ski I'll bet and are certainly light enough to tour on. For a good price they'd be worth it.
    Similar result -
    I own a pair of the BMT 109s as well, as Wetdog mentions not as much pop, but they are more damp and perhaps bit more forgiving.
    Durability wise, the girl has been rolling on a pair for most of the season, and generally they are holding up well.

Anyone else have time on these? Looking for something to fill the void left by my dearly departed Pro Rider 105s.

I took a pair of 100Eights for a few laps to A/B them against the Blizzard Scouts, and preferred how the Scouts skied. The Scouts are now my pow touring skis.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevada29er View Post
    Anyone else have time on these? Looking for something to fill the void left by my dearly departed Pro Rider 105s.
    You would be severely disappointed, unless they are cheap as fuck. A detuned Cochise (15/16-17/18) or the new Legend 106 (17/18) would be a better replacement. What size Legend 105 did you ski?

I had both the 184 and 192 Legend 105s. The 192s were a different beast altogether, more of a comp ski IMO, and too much for where and how I ski. I found the 184 to be much more accessible and versatile, while still having a good amount of stability.

I skied the new Cochise in the 185 last year, and was not a fan, felt too short and stiff, a very harsh ride in firm conditions. Tune could also have been bad as it felt sort of hooky. I had the OG 192 Cochise which I liked, but not sure I want that much ski either. Maybe a 189-190 would be the sweet spot.

As far as the new PR105, it only comes in a 192, from what I've heard. Thinking the Wren 108 might be the ticket.

I spend a day mixing the enforcer 100, new mantra and 100eight at big sky. I did not find anything with the 100eight that great. As mentioned, good edge on hardpack (not as good as mantra, but totally diff ski) but they were rather damp and just ho-hum. I think they would do well in Sierra crud and leftovers, but I just didn't care of them. Even on pro form / bro deal, pricing is rediculous. The enforcers were a better ski and although quite slimmer, they were good in pow.

My Cochise got much better when I took them down to 1.5 base, 2 side, and a 45deg file to the tips and tail. Still a little edgier and harsh than a LP105 (which is why I still have a pair) but a very good ski in a slightly different way. Dynastar has a legend 106 coming next year which a cpupple test laps led me to believe is more Legend than Cham and a very good ski. This is one I'd like to get some more time on.