Need computer tech help ASAP

Keep getting an "Out of Memory" error when trying to open a file for a particular software.

It will open an 8KB file, but will not open the 18KB and 36KB files I need, I have no clue if it will actually run them. But I'm surprised I'm having trouble opening them.

Operating system info:
    8GB RAM
    64bit
    Intel®Core(™) i7-2600S CPU @ 2.8GHz

For reference, the software is HY-8. It's 32bit if that helps.
    Any mags computer geniuses that can help me out? So far I've seen it could have something to do with the amount of RAM, but IDFK.
    Last edited by east or bust; 04-26-2016 at 11:03 AM. Reason: more info

What program, what type of file? Can you checksum the files (executables I assume) to make sure they are valid? That photograph of the screen says it's a 64 bit system, why are you thinking it's 32?

Basically much more info needed, though I doubt your 8GB RAM is blocker to opening a 36kb file...

What app are you using to open the file? HY-8?
    The diagnostic indicates that the system has run out of virtual memory. You can try rebooting the machine or increasing the pagefile.sys (google it).
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

For clarification, the machine is 64bit with 8GB RAM.

The software is HY-8, file extension .hy8 and it runs in 32bit.

I will look into that Buster.
    Found how to do that real quick, but need to be on an admin account to access advanced system properties. I'll probably just hack it at this point, what could go wrong.

Pretty good chance you have a bunch of junk running in the background consuming virtual memory. Reboot and see if it helps.

The reboot did clear out a lot of the garbage but still no dice..

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    The reboot did clear out a lot of the garbage but still no dice..
    task manager> processes> hunt for big memory pigs there...

Has this ever worked on this machine before or is it newly installed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

It's possible that the files you're trying to open are corrupted too, but you'll need admin rights to run chkdsk /f.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

File or program is corrupt/crashing.
    Well, that's the only thing that's done it for me.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

First step as stated is to check the Task Manager, look at the performance tab and memory before and after you try and open the files, then look at the processes tab and sort by memory. Other things to do is check for viruses (use at least 1 or 2 online free scanners like Eset Online scanner), malwarebytes for malware and make sure rootkits are scanned for with a tool like Kaspersky tdsskiller. Also run sfc with the scannow switch to check your Windows operating system for corrupted files. If all that shows good, then you have to look at the software package HY-8 and see if there is an issue with it. Do the files open on another PC with this same software installed? Have you tried to either uninstall and reinstall the software or if there is a repair install option see if it reports any issues (usually in Control Panel- Programs then click on it and there should be a remove or repair as 2 possibilities.

Could be a system memory problem, a memory test utility could be run to rule out bad memory chip (but typically you will see other programs or issues if you have bad memory module)- Windows Memory diagnostics or Memtest or Memtest86 could be run just to rule that out (but the trying the file on a second system would also verify that it is not just the 1 computer or a hardware issue).

Many of these things may require a System Admin assistance if you are not able to download and install some of the tools- talk to your School IT System Admin or Help Desk about what is and is not allowed by users.

If all that does not offer any improvement, and a second PC does the same thing with the files- then the files are probably corrupted or damaged in some way. Do you have any backup of the files or previous versions from a day or 2 before the issue started happening? (You are doing backups I hope if the files are important), try going into the Windows Explorer, click on one of the files, right click and open properties. Look for the previous versions tab and see what is showing. As last resort, hopefully once you verify all the above, you have technical support available from the Software Manufacturer. Are you running their latest version of the software with all security updates and patches being run? Maybe they are using Microsoft .Net or some recent Windows security update was installed and started causing the problem. Hy-8 should be able to check some things out once you are sure it is only their software and not an issue with that specific PC. If there is no support directly, then see if they have any user forums for help from peers for free. Also Google the issue and see if there are any hits on solutions. Finally I see there is uvm.edu and have you talked to the System Admins or Lab leaders about the issue- check for things like if it also happens if the files are tried being run as Admin rights instead of standard user privileges. Ask then do they keep help desk tickets on each PC and see if there are any suggestions they would have or if anything specific happened just before this started happening- like rolling out a new Anti-virus software, or installing the monthly Windows Updates, etc.)

PS: May also want to blur out the Windows license numbers at the bottom of your screen shot, enterprise license info from the school...
    Last edited by RShea; 04-26-2016 at 06:59 AM.

Ding ding ding, company I sent it to was using a newer version of the software. Not backwards compatible.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    Ding ding ding, company I sent it to was using a newer version of the software. Not backwards compatible.
    As I stated above: Are you running their latest version of the software with all security updates and patches being run?

I would not have even recommended many of the items if I knew the file was being traded off with another party immediately before this started.