Bike Paths: ***Extremely Dangerous***

I've known for years that bike paths can be very dangerous, but I've never heard of this happening:

R.I.P.

Thankfully CNN is on the job with quality reporting....

http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/21/americ...apses-kills-2/

Rio de Janeiro (CNN) — The host city for the 2016 Summer Olympics was hit with a setback Thursday when a large portion of a multimillion-dollar seaside bike path collapsed, killing two people and injuring three others.

The deaths came hours after the Olympic torch was lit in Greece as a prelude to the Summer Games in Rio de Janeiro.

Killer wave

According to the city's government, a strong wave struck, causing a 50-meter (164-foot) stretch of the path to detach and drop 800 meters (nearly half a mile) to Sao Conrado Beach.

Rio de Janeiro municipal spokesman Pedro Paulo Carvalho told journalists at the scene that at least two people had died. Firefighters told CNN the victims were two males and that three other people had been rescued.

The $12 million bike path, which Rio Mayor Eduardo Paes inaugurated in January, was part of the city's major renovation projects before the 2016 Games, which begin in August. Carvalho said the city was contacting the engineers who designed the path to "check and revise" the project, which is scheduled to be extended to the Barra neighborhood in southern Rio.

People near the path used social media shortly after 11 a.m. to alert authorities and warn people to stay clear. Cyclist Eric Poseidon posted a video on Facebook, describing the scene and showing the path moments after it collapsed as well as what appeared to be one of the victims.

Damn. Looks like the path may have landed on top of them as well. RIP

Gap Jump!

Maybe 80 meters to the beach. Doesn't seem like a half mile drop. Using the light post on the road for scale.

Quote Originally Posted by TeleTahoe View Post
    Maybe 80 meters to the beach. Doesn't seem like a half mile drop. Using the light post on the road for scale.
    Yeah, you think someone would have caught that little error. Quality reporting right there. Here's a website with a bunch of seaside cliffs in the 500+ meter range, I'm sure there will be bike paths installed on them shortly.....

http://www.touropia.com/most-dramati...-in-the-world/