Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    An account on Estelle's fatal accident (in French though).

Apparently on triggering the slide she hit a rock which sent her tumbling and was mere passenger from there on. Shite!

Site: http://www.illustre.ch/magazine/une-chute-vertigineuse

I like ski movies. I buy some of them. I get tired of the extreme gnar fall and die scenes.
    I much prefer the deep pow segments. I could never even imagine myself on those extreme lines. I can at least imagine myself in the deep pow scenes.

I'm dying to see the Afghan Ski Challenge

RULES
    No weapons allowed. Everyone starts at the same time. The winner is the first person to cross the finish line having successfully registered at all the check points along the way. Skis and Snow Boards are allowed.

http://afghanskichallenge.com/

I don't even care if there is skiing in it. Whatever they put down is FTW!

I might even buy some Fritschi Black Edition bindings if the wife likes the film and endorses more ski touring expenses.
    That was somewhat related to the thread but a nevertheless extreme sidetrack.
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    I'm dying to see the Afghan Ski Challenge
    www.sidetracked.com/ski-afghanistan/
    Pretty cool article about skiing there

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    2016 podium
    The shit talking going on by last years #1 is worthy of a drama tv show....epic.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    http://snowbrains.com/67-avalanche-d...r-this-season/

Didn't the Alps also have no snow at the start of the year this year?
    Yes, the season was dry and warm overall and there was hardly any snow until after christmas. 67 is somewhat below average and at least in Switzerland (18 deaths as of may 1, compared to 23 on average) this is being attributed to the poor snow conditions and general lack of snow. In Italy there were more deaths than in most years due to one very big slide with a lot of people involved. There were several incidents where there were a lot of fatalities in a single accident, which is unusual and makes up for a significant percentage of the overall number. I figure this kind of reflects the fact that there was a persistent weak layer over much of the Alps, making for very complex avalanche conditions at times, where things tended to go big when they did go. (6 dead in South Tyrol, 5 and 3 in two incidents in France, 5 in Austria ).
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

Yeah I saw that. Not saying it's not a concerning number, of course it is. It's just not really very unusual when looking at other years. "The usual" is concerning enough. Then again, considering the amount of people out in the mountains, it seems almost surprising that those numbers are what they are and not much higher.

I agree that these statistics are all rather meaningless and as long as people are dying, the industry and all of us have a responsibility to try and find ways to prevent that, which includes trying not to get killed ourselves and being critical of an industry that at times glorifies risk taking.

Skiers are made much better by the new gear. Look, many of you apparently don't know much about the mountains, that much is obvious by the crap I read on TGR. There was a time not too long ago where skis were skinnier, certainly much harder to ski than modern skis. All of you eastern transplants loved bump skiing and hated powder because you had trouble skiing the deep snow. So when a big dump came, like big wensday, only those of us from the 'mountain town' went out skiing, the rest stayed home because they got tired of body packing the slope. Then skis got fatter, and those that had stayed home on the big dumps were unfortunately now able to ski in the deep snow.

Quote Originally Posted by kailas View Post
    Skiers are made much better by the new gear. Look, many of you apparently don't know much about the mountains, that much is obvious by the crap I read on TGR. There was a time not too long ago where skis were skinnier, certainly much harder to ski than modern skis. All of you eastern transplants loved bump skiing and hated powder because you had trouble skiing the deep snow. So when a big dump came, like big wensday, only those of us from the 'mountain town' went out skiing, the rest stayed home because they got tired of body packing the slope. Then skis got fatter, and those that had stayed home on the big dumps were unfortunately now able to ski in the deep snow.
    No shit? I had no idea! Please, tell us more!

Also, WTF does your post really have to do with this thread?

Pretty sure he has posted that same thing verbatim in another thread.

Dude is just core as fuck!

Quote Originally Posted by neck beard View Post
    There will be no backtrack whilst consumers give the producers a profit....
    ...AND, most of all...producers are young, immature, spoiled suburb boys who've only experienced the outdoors from the extravagences of SUV caravans....
    You don't beat the wilderness....but quite a few "producers" try to...

thanks for posting klar- saw that yesterday but couldn't find any info not in swedish
    hoping for the best here
    skid luxury

Sadly, she did not survive 🙁

RIP.

Was she on a heli shoot?

So fucking horrible. RIP

Oh god this sucks so much. She won one of the first comps I ever did, I remember her being kind of in her own league on that one. I think she got on the tour the following year.

So sad. I enjoyed watching her ski.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Bad news.

I wish we'd get some sort of accident report from these incidents - Liz Daley, Balet, etc. so that we might learn something from the tragedy. If they are heli filming you'd think that they'd be able to get a rescue there pretty quickly, but...?

http://www.powder.com/stories/news/m...T7TVi7o46zb.97

Still no details on exactly what set off the slide. Sucks that this was during a film shoot. One would hope there would be less risk in that situation. RIP

It sounds like she was filming for a Video game called STEEP.

I was reflecting on the fact that we've recently had a series of pro rider women die in these incidents Rapaport, Balet, Daley. Is it just because more women are getting into the pro game at a higher level or because or some other factor?

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    Is it just because more women are getting into the pro game at a higher level or because or some other factor?
    From what I see the gap between male & female performance (read: risk) is simply getting smaller. Depending on the discipline the difference can be negligible or nonexistent.

Really hurts to watch this video now:
    http://www.peakperformance.com/gb/a-...ier-knows.html
    ... and especially her stated goal at the end.
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

I wish we'd get some sort of accident report from these incidents - Liz Daley, Balet, etc. so that we might learn something from the tragedy. If they are heli filming you'd think that they'd be able to get a rescue there pretty quickly, but...?
    There were fairly detailed reports on Balet's incident. In South America there are no official mountain rescue organizations that would typically publish an accident report, so details would have to come from the people involved. That is not something they owe us/the public/ anyone, imo.

I was reflecting on the fact that we've recently had a series of pro rider women die in these incidents Rapaport, Balet, Daley. Is it just because more women are getting into the pro game at a higher level or because or some other factor?
    What other factor would there be?