Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Max Arsenault

Really enjoyed Max and PY Leblanc in Out of the Shadows. Bummed to read this news this evening. RIP.

This is just horrible news. Loved his skiing and still remember how excited I was when I first saw his Out of the Shadows segment. Vibes to all those who knew and loved him.

Max could ride bikes too just fine. I had fun that day on the Monster with him, P11 and Shar, Max is the orange helmet

Max's Out of the Shadows segment was my all time favorite. He ripped the shit out of Jackson when he was here. RIP dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    So, it's ok to post in the forums, ok to post on FB, and ok for the CBC to report, but Dunfee is a dipshit putting it on TGR's front page?
    Not Ok to post in forums or FB, but how are people suppose to know better?

CBC didn't post the name before TGR did, CBC updated later after the author was told next of kin was notified. Dumbfee, not so much!

Anyways, Max was a ripper. Sad news.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Not Ok to post in forums or FB, but how are people suppose to know better?

CBC didn't post the name before TGR did, CBC updated later after the author was told next of kin was notified. Dumbfee, not so much!

Anyways, Max was a ripper. Sad news.
    When I put together my post together from the CBC story, Max's name was already on it. Honestly. Had heard about it earlier in the day but waited for another source to get something up first.

Regardless, if any mags have any personal stories of Maxim they'd like me to include in the story, I would be grateful.
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

I was farting around @ Blackcomb one day and I can't keep up with P11s, but saw him in line and around the hill.

It was a late season day and most of the off piste stuff was tricky, so I was gomering around on the sides of the runs off of the Glacier Express. In line, P11s kind of introduces us and we ride the lift and the guy is fucking positive, enthused and had the balls to compliment this old mans skiing. It sure seems that few people have the balls or the love to say nice things to a stranger, especially when the d00d was obviously a completely bad ass ripper. I was more impressed by that than by his skiing. The world lost a good one.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

His skiing in those videos is hands down the hardest shredding and stomping I have ever seen, by pretty much anyone anywhere. Terrible news, so sorry to hear about this.
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

Maxim was my mentor and we became each others number 1 ski partner the last few seasons. It was weird to dig him up and even weirder that he died on something so small. Got off his line and aired 25 feet to a flat, bridged bergshrund and got buried by his sluff. We didn't get to him fast enough. Skiing will always feel different to me now but I feel like it was his fate to leave his body behind that day (4/20). Max inspired so many... take that energy he had for his true purpose (skiing) and apply it to whatever your true purpose is. Never be in a hurry in the mountains, never let your guard down no matter how mellow it looks. RIP Max

Damn! So sorry for your loss. I can't even begin to imagine the feeling of helplessness digging him out.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by Two06 View Post
    Maxim was my mentor and we became each others number 1 ski partner the last few seasons. It was weird to dig him up and even weirder that he died on something so small. Got off his line and aired 25 feet to a flat, bridged bergshrund and got buried by his sluff. We didn't get to him fast enough. Skiing will always feel different to me now but I feel like it was his fate to leave his body behind that day (4/20). Max inspired so many... take that energy he had for his true purpose (skiing) and apply it to whatever your true purpose is. Never be in a hurry in the mountains, never let your guard down no matter how mellow it looks. RIP Max
    So sorry for your loss.

Thank you for sharing.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Two06, sorry for your loss man. Don't worry about my pm. Whenever you're ready, no hurry.

hang in there, Two06

When I arrived in Whistler 5 years ago I had never even heard the word gaper. I saw all the locals shouting hellos at each other in the lift lines and I wanted nothing more than to be one of them. I met Maxim when he stole the Slovakian girl I had picked up on top of 7th Heaven and had met at Merlin's for Apres. He started talking about his sponsors and how many Osprey backpacks he had and Monica never talked to me again. The next day I saw Max with the Euro girls in tow at the top of Showcase T-bar. He remembered me and invited me to ski with him, and I followed him though the cliff band by the Blowhole. “You're skiing too tall! Get low!” It would take years for me to implement that simple idea and erase decades of gaperdom. I told him I'd never been coached and just wanted to get better at skiing. He nodded knowingly and told me, “You can be my project.” I didn't care about the tourist girl anymore, I got something way better.

It took awhile but eventually he got me on the right equipment (Lhasa Pows, FKS bindings, and Surefoot boots changed the game) and showed me how to approach big mountain skiing like a master. Techniques he had learned from legends like PY and Hugo, how to ski Blackcomb from open til close getting fresh pow every run, and how to never stop being stoked on skiing.

I realized my dream of becoming a local Blackcomb ripper (even if Blazer still thinks I'm a gaper). Max told me, “You earned it, now you're not just that guy following Max, you're Aaron.” This year we filmed each other skiing some lines and the dream of getting something on camera came true too, even though it wasn't much.

Max's death marks the beginning of a new phase in my life. I love skiing but I will never be a Shane McConkey or Maxim Arsenault who influence so many through their talent and love for the sport. I'm gifted at business and it's time for me to direct my energy toward that, where I know I can make a big positive impact like Max did in the mountains.

I've heard people sad saying “He went too soon”, but my philosophy is the universe unfolds exactly as it should. We as humans have a tough time when we believe things would be better if they went differently, but that's short sighted. Maxim did more in 36 years than most people could manage in multiple lifetimes. Like Bruce Lee said “The key to immortality is living a life worth remembering.” Maxim Arsenault will go down a legend, and legends never die.

Charge like Max.

Max Arsenault

When I arrived in Whistler 5 years ago I had never even heard the word gaper. I saw all the locals shouting hellos at each other in the lift lines and I wanted nothing more than to be one of them. I met Maxim when he stole the Slovakian girl I had picked up on top of 7th Heaven and had met at Merlin's for Apres. He started talking about his sponsors and how many Osprey backpacks he had and Monica never talked to me again. The next day I saw Max with the Euro girls in tow at the top of Showcase T-bar. He remembered me and invited me to ski with him, and I followed him though the cliff band by the Blowhole. “You're skiing too tall! Get low!” It would take years for me to implement that simple idea and erase decades of gaperdom. I told him I'd never been coached and just wanted to get better at skiing. He nodded knowingly and told me, “You can be my project.” I didn't care about the tourist girl anymore, I got something way better.

It took awhile but eventually he got me on the right equipment (Lhasa Pows, FKS bindings, and Surefoot boots changed the game) and showed me how to approach big mountain skiing like a master. Techniques he had learned from legends like PY and Hugo, how to ski Blackcomb from open til close getting fresh pow every run, and how to never stop being stoked on skiing.

I realized my dream of becoming a local Blackcomb ripper (even if Blazer still thinks I'm a gaper). Max told me, “You earned it, now you're not just that guy following Max, you're Aaron.” This year we filmed each other skiing some lines and the dream of getting something on camera came true too, even though it wasn't much.

Max's death marks the beginning of a new phase in my life. I love skiing but I will never be a Shane McConkey or Maxim Arsenault who influence so many through their talent and love for the sport. I'm gifted at business and it's time for me to direct my energy toward that, where I know I can make a big positive impact like Max did in the mountains.

I've heard people sad saying “He went too soon”, but my philosophy is the universe unfolds exactly as it should. We as humans have a tough time when we believe things would be better if they went differently, but that's short sighted. Maxim did more in 36 years than most people could manage in multiple lifetimes. Like Bruce Lee said “The key to immortality is living a life worth remembering.” Maxim Arsenault will go down a legend, and legends never die.

Charge like Max.
    Great story. Thanks for sharing!

My heart breaks for these kids parents.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Max inspired so many... take that energy he had for his true purpose (skiing) and apply it to whatever your true purpose is.
    RIP Max
    thanks for this and the other great post
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

He inspires the fuck out of me. I am a bit out of the loop as far as the goings on in Whistler, but now it makes perfect sense as to why he stomps so fucking hard. Making the rounds with Huge-O and PY, a jedi master one would inevitably become! Being of about that generation, those guys were and still are a huge inspiration to me. Sounds like he lived the dream and kept the best of company. Thank you for sharing two06, so sorry for your loss. I will think of Maxim in my mountain travels, I will remember his stoke and beautiful hard core shredding. Most of all I will think of how he humbly gave others a boost, and to never take a glorious pow turn or a day with friends in the mountains for granted.
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

You would think his girlfriend and parents and best friend who dug him out would be crushed but we are doing a lot better than you think. We just feel lucky to be the ones who were closest to such an awesome person. It was his time to go... we look forward not back

Hey, A......I know you all did your best to get him out. A lot of people seem to think there's a cure for going big or going down or making films on the edge of our limitations.. I know Max would have called that bullshit and taken responsibility for his choices. I know how tight you guys were. Thanks for coming on here to post. Let's talk sometime soon.

I remember the first time I saw Sacrifice. I kept saying, "He just takes it to his feet like a f---ing man!" I've never seen anyone stomp double and triple stagers quite like that. One of the most underrated skiers on the planet, IMO. Was really hoping he'd make it into some big films after he picked up Blizzard as a sponsor.

RIP. Vibes to family and friends.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Great story. Thanks for sharing!
    I agree. It's so great when someone takes an interest in us and is willing to share from their experience. Hope you're doing the same in business!

Cracked powder's photo annual today to see a shot of Max. Came here to check out the threads about him and listened to the podcast. Nice to hear his voice again. Seven months since he died. Still breaks my heart that he's gone. He used to call all stoked to tell me about some great day or adventure he'd had. Loved to watch him ski. What a wonderful dude, such a great skier.

When I arrived in Whistler 5 years ago...

...Maxim did more in 36 years than most people could manage in multiple lifetimes. Like Bruce Lee said “The key to immortality is living a life worth remembering.” Maxim Arsenault will go down a legend, and legends never die.

Charge like Max.
    I almost can't even believe this. And I mean that in the best possible way. Amen.
    Last edited by The Amicable Snowman; 12-20-2016 at 08:22 AM. Reason: brevity, relevence