Page 163 of 167 FirstFirst ... 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 LastLast
Results 4,051 to 4,075 of 4158
    Michelin Force AM 2? Somewhat aggressive fast rolling rear "trail" tire. (Wasatch) Any thoughts? Fine with sacrificing the down a bit for longer rides. Looking for a bit more pedal then a pinner without loosing that much or getting into xr4 like territory.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    If you can get behind Specialized tires, they've got some pretty nice prices on their website.
    Fuck Specialized
    Oops, wrong thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxtar View Post
    Fuck Specialized
    Oops, wrong thread.
    I laffed.

As I said, the problem with Specialized tires is that as soon as you find one you like, they'll change or discontinue it. It's just an endless and confusing stream of newer-but-not-necessarily-better treads, casings, compounds, etc. Schwalbe does this a bit too, but I think they've actually managed to keep some designs for a while and at one point they improved durability and sizing.
    Anyone else tired of Alphabet Soup?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

ya, I'd much rather a mfg keep the name and change the product (as long as it's the same intended application), than re-invent the name and yet another thing I have to try to keep track of in my aging memory.

Quote Originally Posted by SJG View Post
    ya, I'd much rather a mfg keep the name and change the product (as long as it's the same intended application), than re-invent the name and yet another thing I have to try to keep track of in my aging memory.
    Right but Specialized will so completely change some tire, that it might as well have a new name too.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Tire puzzling....

I've been on an EXO+ Assegai/DHR II combo on my full squish bike and it's time for new tires. Have been running CushCore Pro front and rear since I broke a carbon rim in 2018 or so, and have not so much as dented a rim since then. I think the only flat I've had was a cut through the tread at a bike park that was too big for the sealant to deal with, which I filled on the scene with some medical tape. Still holding!

I'm kind of interested in more rolling speed, but also have gotten used to MaxxGrip Assegai in the front and don't want to be washing out all over the place. I did recently move from the PNWet to northern NM, so conditions are pretty different--namely, dry and rocky.

The bike, by the way, is a steel 29er with 150mm front/140mm rear travel.

Questions:
    1. Will swapping from lighter tires with CushCore to heaver tires without inserts result in destroyed rims? I could save ~50g/wheel by going to DH Kryptotals (for example, assuming those are ever available again), and maybe DH casings hold up better to sharp rocks than EXO+?

2. Can I go with a firmer rubber compound in drier conditions? Don't have to worry about wet roots much anymore, but there are plenty of off-camber rock moves around here.

Thanks!
    kittyhump.com - Fund Max, Cat Appreciation, Bike

I am 190lbs kitted, and in front I run a relatively soft and light tire, DHF EXO Maxxgrip. My rear sidewalls get tested, fronts almost never (fronts rolling, rears skidding/drifting). So I run a liner in rear, never front. The DHF is immensely faster than the Assegai I ran prior. AND gives warning when it's reaching traction limits (very important).

I will switch to Kryptotal-F when they come out with a super soft enduro. I currently run a Kryptotal-R Enduro Soft, which I'm very happy with for desert and Wasatch riding. Kryptotal-R is faster than the DHR Maxxterra I used to roll, and a better overall tire IMO.

Xynotol a good option for rear too, faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Toddball View Post
    Questions:
    1. Will swapping from lighter tires with CushCore to heaver tires without inserts result in destroyed rims? I could save ~50g/wheel by going to DH Kryptotals (for example, assuming those are ever available again), and maybe DH casings hold up better to sharp rocks than EXO+?

2. Can I go with a firmer rubber compound in drier conditions? Don't have to worry about wet roots much anymore, but there are plenty of off-camber rock moves around here.

Thanks!
    1) I'm in the heavier tire, no insert camp. Mostly because I don't really like how inserts ride. But regardless, I haven't destroyed any carbon rims from impacts. ~8 years of running various carbon rims. Broke a couple, but I don't think any of the failures were from straight impacts to the bead. For reference, 160lbs, running 23-24 psi rear with dh casings, 25psi with DD.

2) I think tacky rubber matters a bit less in the desert. Desert riding is also hard on tires - sticky rubber gets chewed up a lot quicker than if you're riding loam and roots.

Gotta do some figuring on the tire setup heading into this season for myself. Have been running cushcore front/rear with a butcher trail in front and gravity rear. It’s a pig of a setup for big trail riding days but been riding so much park with no issues I’m hesitant to change things up.

Specialized doesn’t make a true DH casing correct? The gravity casing is kind of like a Maxxis DD equivalent?

Only way I’d ditch cushcore in the rear is if I put a try DH tire on, and at that point there probably wouldn’t be too much weight savings. Same deal in the front. If I ditch CC and move to a gravity/DD casing I’m not really gaining anything. Fack I’m stuck.

Thanks SJG and toast. I think I'll try to make my current setup last until Enduro Soft Kryptotals are back in stock, then try them without inserts. If I find I'm dinging my rear I'll throw an insert back in.

I'm 135lbs running 21-23 psi rear with EXO+.
    kittyhump.com - Fund Max, Cat Appreciation, Bike

Looking for some lighter, better rolling tires for my 2022 Tallboy. Currently running Assegai 2.5 WT Exo TR front and Dissector 2.4 WT 3C Max Terra Exo TR rear. I'm after the best rolling, lightest option without giving up too much downhill and cornering. On the short list are:

-ethirteen Optimus Trail front and rear
    -Vittoria Barzo XC Trail front, maybe rear
    -Vittoria Mezcal XC Trail rear
    -Vittoria Syerra front and rear
    -Maxxis Forecaster Dual Exo TR

I've had Bonty XR4's and liked them but want to try something different. Not interested in Specialized. Schwalbe Wicked Will maybe? Mostly ride around Chaffee County.
    Sawatch is French for scratchy.

I have a good amount of time on all those vittorias, would probably lean toward the syerras or that new forekaster if you're not like, actually trying to race XC.

Mezcals are the fastest rolling out of all those, and have pretty good all around grip for an xc tire. The barzos with the even knob spacing are a little better in the looser and softer stuff but seem like maybe not as grabby all the way leaned over so i stopped doing the mezcal rear, barzo front combo and just run mezcals front and rear.

Syerras still roll pretty well, but are a little heavier and a little bigger and have slightly bigger side knobs. The little center knobs do wear down pretty quick if you're doing a lot of riding on roads to/from trailheads and such like I do. I have those on my hei hei right now but will swap to something a little lighter and faster pretty soon. Probably either mezcals or racing ray/ralphs.

Dual compound forekaster might last a little longer, and does have a little bigger knobs through the center. Wicked will looks pretty similar. Haven't tried either though.

Quote Originally Posted by natebob View Post
    Looking for some lighter, better rolling tires for my 2022 Tallboy. Currently running Assegai 2.5 WT Exo TR front and Dissector 2.4 WT 3C Max Terra Exo TR rear. I'm after the best rolling, lightest option without giving up too much downhill and cornering. On the short list are:

-ethirteen Optimus Trail front and rear
    -Vittoria Barzo XC Trail front, maybe rear
    -Vittoria Mezcal XC Trail rear
    -Vittoria Syerra front and rear
    -Maxxis Forecaster Dual Exo TR

I've had Bonty XR4's and liked them but want to try something different. Not interested in Specialized. Schwalbe Wicked Will maybe? Mostly ride around Chaffee County.
    The assegai is the anchor. Keep the dissector and put something faster on the front. Maybe another dissector?

I've been running the Barzo/Mezcal on my XC bikes, but your trading fast for downhill performance for sure.
    In the Maxi line you could look at the Rekon.
    My son is running a Minnion SS on the rear of his bike and is pretty happy with it. It's a shaved down DHF that rolls pretty well.
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Quote Originally Posted by natebob View Post
    Looking for some lighter, better rolling tires for my 2022 Tallboy. Currently running Assegai 2.5 WT Exo TR front and Dissector 2.4 WT 3C Max Terra Exo TR rear.
    How big of boy are you?

Honestly coming from Assguy/Dissector, most combos will be much faster.

For a more trail character I’d rec Continental Xynotal rear with Kryptotal front. This will roll much better than your current combo but have toughly the same traction. When Conti comes out with Trail casing Soft rubber I’d run dual Xynotals in Trail Soft front and Enduro Soft rear honestly. It’s a great tire and perfect for “downcountry” duty. I’ve got 300 miles on an enduro soft Xynotal rear tire and it looks brand new.
    Last edited by Falcon3; 03-25-2024 at 06:58 AM.

Who’s running an eliminator or xynotal rear on a big bike in steeps? I have a Mary front butcher rear on now and it’s slow so thinking of a faster rear. Will I regret this when I drop into a steep loamy chute or be happy from all the drag I save on the slog up?
    Bike is a gnarvana and Seattle area i90 terrain that is steep and often loose.

Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    Who’s running an eliminator or xynotal rear on a big bike in steeps? I have a Mary front butcher rear on now and it’s slow so thinking of a faster rear. Will I regret this when I drop into a steep loamy chute or be happy from all the drag I save on the slog up?
    I ran a T7 Eliminator on the rear early last summer. After that was done, I put the T9 Butcher on the back that I was running up front. As expected, the Butcher brakes much better but feels slow. A fresh Eliminator should perform pretty well for you in the loam before the knobs start to round off. They’re cheap enough that I say give it a try. That said, there’s no free lunch, so keep expectations in check. There’s a reason I didn’t immediately replace it with the same thing. We were riding steeper stuff late summer and I was happy to have a little extra assurance.

Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    I have a good amount of time on all those vittorias, would probably lean toward the syerras or that new forekaster if you're not like, actually trying to race XC.

Mezcals are the fastest rolling out of all those, and have pretty good all around grip for an xc tire. The barzos with the even knob spacing are a little better in the looser and softer stuff but seem like maybe not as grabby all the way leaned over so i stopped doing the mezcal rear, barzo front combo and just run mezcals front and rear.

Syerras still roll pretty well, but are a little heavier and a little bigger and have slightly bigger side knobs. The little center knobs do wear down pretty quick if you're doing a lot of riding on roads to/from trailheads and such like I do. I have those on my hei hei right now but will swap to something a little lighter and faster pretty soon. Probably either mezcals or racing ray/ralphs.

Dual compound forekaster might last a little longer, and does have a little bigger knobs through the center. Wicked will looks pretty similar. Haven't tried either though.
    Good info. on the Vittorias, thanks. Part of the motivation to get faster tires is a race coming up, buy I'm definitely not wanting anything too racy. Something faster for the race, but something I'll want to ride in general. Sounds like Syerra or Forekaster might be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    How big of boy are you?

Honestly coming from Assguy/Dissector, most combos will be much faster.

For a more trail character I’d rec Continental Xynotal rear with Kryptotal front. This will roll much better than your current combo but have toughly the same traction. When Conti comes out with Trail casing Soft rubber I’d run dual Xynotals in Trail Soft front and Enduro Soft rear honestly. It’s a great tire and perfect for “downcountry” duty. I’ve got 300 miles on an enduro soft Xynotal rear tire and it looks brand new.
    175 ish with kitted up. The Conti's are getting a lot of love around here, which is a good sign. Might go that way if I decide to go for something more on the grippy side.

Toast, that does make sense. I've liked the Dissector fine on the rear, usually like a more filled in shoulder for the front.

Sfotex, thanks for the suggestion on the Minion SS, hadn't considered that one.

I've run the eliminator in the rear on the big bike a bit. It's fine for fast stuff, but in legit steeps, I found it lacking. And by lacking, I mean I wanted to slow down more than the eliminator would allow me to. Noticeably worse at braking than a dhr2.

That’s what I’m worried about. I had a solid crash trying to run a rock razor rear and not having any braking traction that has scared me into running knobby rear tires. The butcher t9 is slow but I still coast faster than my friends who are mostly on some combo of conti or maxxis. I should probably just focus on getting in shape, there is one really big climb we do a few times a summer that would kick my ass right now even on the hardtail and the descent calls for a big boy bike.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I've run the eliminator in the rear on the big bike a bit. It's fine for fast stuff, but in legit steeps, I found it lacking. And by lacking, I mean I wanted to slow down more than the eliminator would allow me to. Noticeably worse at braking than a dhr2.

That’s what I’m worried about. I had a solid crash trying to run a rock razor rear and not having any braking traction that has scared me into running knobby rear tires. The butcher t9 is slow but I still coast faster than my friends who are mostly on some combo of conti or maxxis. I should probably just focus on getting in shape, there is one really big climb we do a few times a summer that would kick my ass right now even on the hardtail and the descent calls for a big boy bike.
    In fairness to the eliminator, it brakes much better than something like a rock razor. I'm mostly OK with the eliminator - it rolls pretty well, it lasts a pretty long time, and (considering the first two traits) it grips decently. And it's relatively cheap.

But when you really need to grab the brakes and throw an anchor off the back of the bike on a fall line skidder, the eliminator doesn't have the straight line deceleration on tap like a proper dh rear tire.

Anyone measured the depth of Xynotal tread blocks yet? They look taller than the Eliminator in pictures. Carl I suspect that might be a sweet spot rear tire for you.

The Dissector can brake pretty well in my experience, though the 3CMT version crumbles apart if you are regularly shutting things down from high speeds (and it gets Maxxis wobble if you case a huck to flat, something I have yet to do to a Spesh tire). I haven’t tried a DC Dissector yet … was going to get a Xynotal Enduro Soft over the winter but those $30 OE 3CMT Dissectors that Planet Cyclery and Jenson were blowing out delayed my plan by a year or two!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

I've been running Maxxis DHF/Aggressor in CO Front range for years, but feel like the DHF has been washing out. Thinking about switching to an assegai or dissector in the front. Sounds like the assegai is the way to go, but curious if any front rangers running dissector 2.60 in front and how it behaves? Reviews are pretty mixed. This is for my enduro bike. Lots of longhorn and chimpex days.