US Kid going to school in Canada. What to do about his cel phone?

My son is headed to a Canadian college this coming fall. We live in Seattle. We're trying to parse all the international issues (money, banking, phone, ease of frequent border crossings, etc.) that we didn't really think much about earlier.

He has an ATT iPhone with his current 2 year contract ending tomorrow. Obviously he'd like an [discounted] equipment upgrade that comes with a new agreement, but as far as I can tell their international plan is expensive and not terribly comprehensive. Trying to get a bead on the plans from various carriers is ridiculously complicated. And kids burn through TONS of data. It would be good to keep the same number and I'm not necessarily opposed to entering into a new contract if the terms are suitable.

I think it would be simplest to have one phone that could cross the border in either direction and not generate usurious bills.

Any of you frequent international travelers have some tips or experience with something similar? Is there a carrier out there that offers a plan - preferably with a new discounted iPhone - that would fit the bill? SIM card swapping with an unlocked phone and one US and one Canada SIM? Obviously, simpler is better.

Thanks for your help.

T-mobile has unlimited calling to the us, Canada and Mexico now. He could port his number over to them, I would check the coverage though since it's not as good as the other providers.

Probably don't want to go with a canadian carrier as they will fuck you although SIM swapping might work if there is a discount carrier.
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.

I have Sprint and use it in Mexico/Central America and it works flawlessly, I thought my plan covers Canada too so I looked and it does. They do have some sort of unlimited data plan internationally but I havent upgraded that on because I just check e-mails and have only gone over the limits a couple of times.

Here it is;

Sprint Open World ℠: Free, unlimited calling and text when you’re traveling in Mexico, Canada and most other countries across Latin America. Plus you get 1GB of high-speed data free to use while you’re there. Learn more with our FAQS.
    You know, you can swear on this site. Fuck, shit bitch. See?

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again

Quote Originally Posted by skinewhere View Post
    T-mobile has unlimited calling to the us, Canada and Mexico now. He could port his number over to them, I would check the coverage though since it's not as good as the other providers.
    A friend of mine is on T-Mobile and he says he gets better coverage in Canada than in the U.S.! Of course it's going to depend on location, but T-Mobile is definitely worth exploring.

And why is this in the photo forum?

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post

And why is this in the photo forum?
    sorry... thought it was the best fit.... phones and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    We use cameras here, boy!

Tmobile is really good in other countries, not perfect at home but that's ok. I think you don't pay extra for using the phone or internet in Canada

research seems to indicate that t-mobile may be the ticket. thanks all! any else feel free to chime on in.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    We use cameras here, boy!
    ya know these crazy phones these days have cameras in them. and video too! can ya believe it!?

ya know these crazy phones these days have cameras in them. and video too! can ya believe it!?
    Oh, come on, you're pulling my leg.

From my experience, Canadian carriers vary in service wildly depending on location. Fido is great in montreal but doesn't to anything for you east of Quebec City. The prepaid plans are pretty cheap if they don't mind swapping sims and consuming the bulk of their data a month (roughly 60cad / month, including short calls to the states)
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

1st world problems bro.
    The Sheriff is near!

US Kid going to school in Canada. What to do about his cel phone?

From my experience, Canadian carriers vary in service wildly depending on location. Fido is great in montreal but doesn't to anything for you east of Quebec City. The prepaid plans are pretty cheap if they don't mind swapping sims and consuming the bulk of their data a month (roughly 60cad / month, including short calls to the states) on wifi.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

I'd probably want a plan through a canadian carrier. I have a hard time believing a US plan with international capabilities isn't going to be more expensive or wind up resulting in some serious overage charges. If he's going to be back and forth a lot you could do a dual sim type thing. Main service from the place you are going to be most often, with a pre-pay plan for going to the other country.

On the other hand I know hardly anything about canadian service providers.

I have the verizon travelpass thing that is $2 a day to use my phone pretty much all I want while in Canada and probably some other countries. Fine for a weekend but longer than that and it adds up fast.

haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I can't seem to find an issue with the t-mobile international plan. looks like about 65 a month for 6gb of data (when you use that your data simply slows down, not add usurious overage charges.

If you have teenagers with phones you probably understand why I don't want to go the 2-phone/SIM card swap route. Simplicity is key, and even worth a couple of bucks a month!
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

keep in mind all the broke ass students won't want to text/call him if he's on a US number in Canada.

Repost in padded room. Or request thread moved.

And nice use of usurious.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

T-mobile uses the Wind network is Canada, which is great in the city and major centres, but if they plan on leaving that, it goes to shit. Wind Mobile plans are pretty cheap if you're looking for a Canadian SIM. You can also look up Roam Mobility, They offer plans just for what you're looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by kalisto View Post
    keep in mind all the broke ass students won't want to text/call him if he's on a US number in Canada.
    shit, that's a good point I didn't consider. I guess though, that really isn't my problem, but that of the parents of the Canuckistanian kids!

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyg82 View Post
    T-mobile uses the Wind network is Canada, which is great in the city and major centres, but if they plan on leaving that, it goes to shit. Wind Mobile plans are pretty cheap if you're looking for a Canadian SIM. You can also look up Roam Mobility, They offer plans just for what you're looking for.
    Thanks for the tips. I'll look into it. the Wind thing. T-moble claims really good coverage where he's going; betwixt Vancouver and Whistler.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    And nice use of usurious.
    Thank you. One of my faves.

shit, that's a good point I didn't consider. I guess though, that really isn't my problem, but that of the parents of the Canuckistanian kids!
    People use whatsapp, line, and various other nontexting methods of texting so it could not be an issue if he has data

Truth. I just being in Whistler and trying to meet up with buddies from the US on American numbers and having to pay some ridiculous long distance cost per-minute... fuck that, definitely not calling them.