Thread: 4/3 Options

4/3 Options

I'm in the market for a 4/3, typically I'd blindly by an Xcel b/c they fit and I can find decent pricing but the O'Neill Mutant 4/3 has me intrigued b/c of the hood system. Any of you guys use one or have maybe a surf buddy that does?

I'm torn on buying a hooded 4/3...not the end of the world but the necks can be constrictive when the hood is down.

Thanks for any help.

I wish I could help more, but I will say that I am a huge fan of O'neill. They fit me well, so that is part of the reason I blindly buy them, but they are also very warm from what I have found. My 3/2 keeps me warm when the water is around 56 and everyone else is in a 4/3.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Thanks LDD. I have to go try one one

Get an Xcel. If price is no option, get an Isurus.

^^Did you get one? I'm interested to hear how it's holding up. I was an early Isurus customer, and fell out with them due to their silk-like construction. I would assume that it's improved, as they are still in business.
    "Yo!! Brentley! Ya wanna get faded before work?"

Xcel with a connected hood was the worst suit I ever owned. Bought a Rip Curl Fireskin 4/3 with a rashguard hoody that I don't even need on the oregon coast. Buy the right 4/3 wetsuit and you don't need the connected hood. Most of the time once you warm up the hood comes down, that's where the xcel will suffocate you to death. Mutant is a good choice. Can't go wrong with Oneill or Rip Curl.

So I bought the Xcel and Oniell....kept the Oniell. Both had pluses and minuses but the flexibility on the Oniell won out for me.....so stretchy. The downfall is that the hood isn't as nice as the Xcel. I've surfed it a handful of times now, our water is 50* currently.

The Xcel was just a heavier suit in weight and neoprene.

With how "disposable" wetsuit have become I'm not dropping the coin on an Isurus...I get that they are apparently awesome but it's a big barrier of entry for me price wise for how often I'm in it...1-2x a week. Gotta have funds for the other hobbies too.

I'll follow up with a longer term review.