Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160411_221932.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	527.6 KB 
ID:	180490

This is the riller bar I use to freshen things up after the structure is set with the coarse stone. Sounds like scottyb has the same one.

The most important thing in spring snow is the wax you run. You want to run high fluoride wax. Preferably a very durable one. I run Swix Marathon on spring snow and have excellent glide and turn ability, and it will last the whole day without any issues. My structure is just the default one from the stone grinder, nothing special at all.

In thoery, yes a deeper structure will suction less to wet snow. Whether or not it is a noticeable difference depends on the skier and the snow condition.

It is much easier to feel a deep structure though on dry groomed snow. Skis very grabby and slow, and harder to initiate turns. Especially with wider skis or a snowboard.

Wax is important, but really only works for the first few runs. Usually those sloppy afternoons are when you really stick.

If your local shop has a base/stone grinder they should be able to tune them to your specs. I usually talk about it in a 1-5 scale like with thai food.

1= dry snow, no pattern
    5= wet snow, deep pattern.

Ski techs should be able to achieve the 2-4 with varying passes over a finish belt (think really fine sandpaper that polishes)

Most shops will just do their standard "make them look good" tune, some don't even have a stone on their machine. I'd suggest asking questions and finding a shop that can tune to your desired 1- 5 rating.

Skis have enough base material to tune them to the prevailing conditions several times a year.

I put a deep structure in the skis in the spring. I have a xc riller that I modified to use on alpine. That and high fluoro wax.

Most telling is the 5 and 6 year olds can keep up with adults while their buddies have to pole and walk. Night and day for the little ones.
    I rip the groomed on tele gear