25 year old snowmobiler is killed in AK

https://www.adn.com/article/20160404...nterior-alaska

I'm posting this here just because the nature of this accident is interesting to me. The girl was parked at the base of the slope when another rider rode up the slope releasing the slide.

Bad luck or bad scene safety observing? I wouldn't think it's best to park at the bottom of an avalanche slope when someone else was high marking.

It would suck to be the guy that lived too. Imagine trying to deal with that heavy burden. I'm surprised we haven't seen more accidents like this one with the ever increasing popularity of back country snow sports.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

doesnt sound all that unusual at the big iron shootout in Revelstoke there were 50 involved 30 injured and 2 fatalities
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    doesnt sound all that unusual at the big iron shootout in Revelstoke there were 50 involved 30 injured and 2 fatalities
    Oh dang. Well fuck then, I guess they are saying fuck all to safety precautions.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEziPDQ0xuk

I duno?google is yer friend ^^ here is another big iron shoot out but without avalanche ... what do you think?

Sounds like standard practice...Braaap Braaaap.
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.

exactly with perhaps a little more exclamation pleez ... braaap! braaap!

This event bothers me.
    They think I do not know a buttload of crap about the Gospel, but I do.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingArizona View Post
    ............ I wouldn't think it's best to park at the bottom of an avalanche slope when someone else was high marking...........
    we see it all the time up here RaAr
    "we all do dumb shit when we're fucked up" mike tyson

So many sledders getting taken out by avalanches his year. Might be time for the motorheads to look in the mirror.

From what I've seen, snowmobilers are getting better at avalanche awareness but they tend to focus too much on equipment and rescues rather than travel protocols. Safe zone>safe zone travel and alpha angles not really practiced much.

If you go snowmobiling with experiences BC skiers, you'll see them apply the skiing protocols in a totally different way than most 'bilers.

There are lots of backcounty savy snowmobilers where I live but generally it's a beer drinking go for it culture that is slow to change.

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parking View Post
    So many sledders getting taken out by avalanches his year. Might be time for the motorheads to look in the mirror.
    IDK, you ever look at yourself in the mirror when you've been drinking? You look fantastic!
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Grape_Ape View Post
    This event bothers me.
    Beyond the fact that a young woman was tragically killed in the prime of her life leaving two young sons behind; is there anything in particular that you find troublesome about this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    From what I've seen, snowmobilers are getting better at avalanche awareness but they tend to focus too much on equipment and rescues rather than travel protocols.........
    i dont sled much, but, im in close contact with sledders when out in the BC........ the comment i hear most often is: " ive been riding this slope for years and have never seen it slide" .........
    "we all do dumb shit when we're fucked up" mike tyson

Sad story.

People frantically pulling cord & trying to start machines to get out of the way is a recurring theme in a lot of the videos.
    "The two best times to fish is when it's rainin' and when it ain't." - Rancid Crabtree

"never buy anything you can't fuel with a salami sandwich" - XXX-er

Maybe switch to battery starts?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    From what I've seen, snowmobilers are getting better at avalanche awareness but they tend to focus too much on equipment and rescues rather than travel protocols. Safe zone>safe zone travel and alpha angles not really practiced much.

If you go snowmobiling with experiences BC skiers, you'll see them apply the skiing protocols in a totally different way than most 'bilers.

There are lots of backcounty savy snowmobilers where I live but generally it's a beer drinking go for it culture that is slow to change.
    This. It's improving, but it's not there yet. I'd say over 50% of sledders that I see now have avy gear (so at least some awareness), though I'd suspect the percentage with formal avalanche education is much lower than that. I agree that the awareness level for sledders tend to focus on gear and rescue, not on avoidance, which I find worrisome.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot View Post
    i dont sled much, but, im in close contact with sledders when out in the BC........ the comment i hear most often is: " ive been riding this slope for years and have never seen it slide" .........
    To be fair, I've heard this countless times from backcountry skiers and snowboarders too.

Maybe switch to battery starts?
    Not necessarily any quicker than pull starting. Parking in safe zones is probably a better tactic.

Well, yeah, but people aren't doing that.
    I suppose it's just survival of the fittest.
    No longer stuck.