Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    So gutted. So fast his first almost-crash had no negative effect on his time. Like he was just trying to hang on to an angry horse.
    However many are in a shit ton.

This yr is going to be sooo amazing. Stevie back on it and now with the confidence boost. Hart too. Ratboy healthy , gwinn meshing well w the new whip, Brosnan in full hover mode. To only name a few. Going to be a crazy battle for the box. Loic was on pace for kovarikian gap

So glad I had a change of heart and kicked Loic off my team at the last second. Except that I replaced him with people that did even worse, so there's that.

And Thirion broke himself, it sounds like? That's a bummer - when he's on it, he's fun to watch.

Wow, I guess I forgot to submit my team after I saved it...

I had Loic
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

anyone know when they publish the points? Everything is 0 still.

Loic has two very real things working against him:

1: World champs jersey curse

2: first year on specialized contract curse

Neither has worked well for anyone in the last 10 or so years.

I'm a fan as much as anyone but you can't argue with science.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

There's a note on their blog/whatever that says points will be up by Tuesday at Lunch. Guessing that means midnight Monday in the states.

The problem with getting technical on why Loic will do poorly is, all the same ideas work against Gwin. Seriously, his tire choice alone has to be the biggest gamble anyone has ever taken in DH history. I'm surprised he's not dead yet.
    In other news, sales of Onza tires shoot through the fucking roof! (relative to the 16 tires they sold last year).

There's no curse going to YT or trek first year, and he's never won world champs, so there's actually no contradiction with gwin. And gwin's first year on specialized was actually proof of concept. Science man........it works but you gotta do it right.

The fun part of the onza tire thing being of course that gwin was running blacked out (IE not onza) tires in the race.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Loic has two very real things working against him:

1: World champs jersey curse

2: first year on specialized contract curse

Neither has worked well for anyone in the last 10 or so years.

I'm a fan as much as anyone but you can't argue with science.
    True, but those issues are countered by the fact that
    1: He's French
    2: He's spent all last year establishing that he will win every qualifier and then explode during the race. So far he's sticking to the game plan, although I'm not sure that gamble will pay off in the long run.

Blacked out Shortys is weak sauce.

That Pope Loic poster at the finish line was money!

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    True, but those issues are countered by the fact that
    1: He's French
    2: He's spent all last year establishing that he will win every qualifier and then explode during the race. So far he's sticking to the game plan, although I'm not sure that gamble will pay off in the long run.
    1: No frenchman has broken the world champs jersey curse since vouilloz (IE why I said the last 10 years). Fabien Barel can attest. You can win world champs the next year but you won't have a good world cup season. Sam Hill was the last to violate this in 2007 (sorry, 9 years)

2: That was one or two races, he DID end up 2nd in points for the year. That's not even close to crashing every race run. That was more the previous year. He rode really conservatively for most of last season. Not winning, but not crashing either.

1. Yeah, but Vouilloz did it enough to carry the French anti-curse forward for a couple millenia. And as long as we're on the topic, Anne Caro... (not a frenchmen though).
    2. For a guy that's pretty consistently up for the first few splits, coming out second in points says a lot. The dude's fast a shit, but even before he was world champ and riding a Specialized, he couldn't finish a run.

Well, I'm looking forward to hearing what happened to so many fast riders in there. I'm betting conditions were changing so fast that the course evolved several times during the finals. Not taking anything away from Gwin and Loic, but some really fast guys seemed to be dragging along where they looked capable of going fast.

1. Yeah, but Vouilloz did it enough to carry the French anti-curse forward for a couple millenia. And as long as we're on the topic, Anne Caro... (not a frenchmen though).
    2. For a guy that's pretty consistently up for the first few splits, coming out second in points says a lot. The dude's fast a shit, but even before he was world champ and riding a Specialized, he couldn't finish a run.
    Come on, I'm trying really really hard to hold onto this!

The specialized curse is REAL I tell you!!!!

Kid, problem is there's a real dilemma here for most fans.
    We so badly want Specialized to eat a bag of dicks. And it was super gratifying after Specialized dropped Sammy for Gwen only to watch him choke the next two years away.
    But now we're all boner country for Loic and Troy.
    Can't be havin' no curse now.

I completely agree

Name:  tightspot.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  121.0 KB

But science is science. That bitch don't care.

Come on, I'm trying really really hard to hold onto this!

Oh, don't get me wrong, the Specialized curse is most definitely real. I can't think of another bike that's managed to slow down so many ludicrously fast riders. (Ok, it's really only slowed down 2, but still). And did you catch Warner's commentary that Loic was publicly complaining about the bike? That's pretty hilarious.

But regardless of the Specialized curse, Loic needs to deal with the "stay on the bike and keep air in the tires" curse.

(Ok, it's really only slowed down 2, but still).
    How's Jared Graves doin so far?

He suddenly had drivetrain problems this year. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    He suddenly had drivetrain problems this year. :-)
    Shut up you!

Is Finn Iles not on a contract or something? Or is this an adult only rule?

also publicly complaining about their new bike: Gee
    bumps are for poor people

How's Jared Graves doin so far?

No idea. I don't really pay much attention to the washed up DH racer world series. Umm, err. I mean enduro.

No idea. I don't really pay much attention to the washed up DH racer world series. Umm, err. I mean enduro.
    You know I got nothin on that. Officially disarmed.

He's not doing so hot so far FWIW. And yes I feel dirty for even knowing that.

Quote Originally Posted by westoxified View Post
    Is Finn Iles not on a contract or something? Or is this an adult only rule?

also publicly complaining about their new bike: Gee
    The specialized curse works like this:

You have a really good season/several seasons with some other sponsor.

Specialized waves a bunch of money in your face for a much more lucrative contract and kits you out like a motherfucker.

You then fall on your face and have your shittiest season yet. (at least relative to recent performance)

Finn is exempt because he had nothing going on previously on the race circuit. Kinda the same deal with brosnan. He got in there early.

I actually think it may have started with Palmer. I remember people making the joke when Sam Hill signed with them so it was already in place and not just the two most recent examples. Mountain biking was still pretty stupid back then so I don't remember.

I saw the dh in Lourdes last weekend, aaron and Rachel won, and loic was 5th, but man, he is a promoter.

Interesting that the juniors were faster than the women.

I actually think it may have started with Palmer. I remember people making the joke when Sam Hill signed with them so it was already in place and not just the two most recent examples. Mountain biking was still pretty stupid back then so I don't remember.
    Huh. I'd never thought about Palmer kicking it off. He was a trendsetter though...