Patagonia Nano Air

I just picked up one of these at a nice discount from steep and cheap, but now I'm questioning what the point of this thing really is. Currently I use a Flylow Lab Coat neoshell uninsulated shell, a midweight baselayer and then depending on temp, layer either nothing, a micro 100 wt fleece zip neck pullover or 200 wt fleece vest. If its really frigid I have an EMS Nano Puff knockoff with 80gm primaloft gold insulation that I wear under the shell.

I understand the Nano air essentially is like a better breathing version of the synthetic puffer, which was the whole appeal to me b/c the puffer breathes pretty poorly. so I only use it when its really cold and during lower activity inbound days. But what I'm trying to figure out is what the Nano Air gains over regular fleece? Its considerably bulkier that the synthetic puffer, so not as easy to throw in a pack . The stretchy face fabric is super comfortable, but seems less durable and more prone to tears than a regular fleece. Does it have a wider temp range its effective in than fleece? What am I missing here?

It's lighter, more breathable, and has better movement (stretchier) than fleece.

I've said this before, but the nano air vest is the best mid layer I have tried. Under a shell, with pit zips open it runs cooler than a fleece vest and just as warm with the pit zips closed.

As you mention the material is not durable. I do have a small rip in mine. I would not ski without something over it. Hike/skin sure, but not ski.
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

For inbounds skiing? No advantage. It's a climbing/ ski mountaineering piece that has a little wind resistance but doesn't get as clammy as other puffy jackets when you're moving. You could say that it's lighter, more comfy, more packable replacement for a stretch woven soft shell with a high-loft backing. Without a shell over it, it's not very warm at all. You'll feel some wind through it. But once you put a shell over it it's pretty toasty.

I've never owned this category of jacket, but I think Patagonia's pitch is it insulates and resists wind like down or synthetic fills and breathes like fleece. Patagonia's marketing campaign suggested you never have to take it off, but if you ski tour in the PNW, it won't be nearly breathable (or waterproof) enough to serve as more than an insulating layer, most of the time. Probably works great in Utah and Colorado, where the temps are quite a bit lower and the snow is much drier. Also looks more fragile than a Nano Puff, but that's just an impression. Would be interesting to hear about real world use.

Got one for xmas, pretty nice layering piece. Agree with most of what already got said. It's definitely fragile, inside the collar is pilling from my beard, outside is pilling from pack straps.

Lotta coin for alotta pilling quickly

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    Got one for xmas, pretty nice layering piece. Agree with most of what already got said. It's definitely fragile, inside the collar is pilling from my beard, outside is pilling from pack straps.

Lotta coin for alotta pilling quickly
    Thats part of my question as to what this is useful for. If the face fabric is that flimsy, than its not really ideal for hiking / skinning w a pack , skis etc. But if not using this as outerwear without a shell, then what is gained over a 100 to 200 wt polartec fleece?

My wife loves hers, and wears it all the time. I don't see any need for it in my quiver of skiing jackets, as it only seems to provide an advantage for moderate activity in cool, dry conditions (such as rock climbing in Fall) but I'm sure it'd be a comfy casual jacket.

Patagonia Nano Air

Quote Originally Posted by Wapow View Post
    I've never owned this category of jacket, but I think Patagonia's pitch is it insulates and resists wind like down or synthetic fills and breathes like fleece. Patagonia's marketing campaign suggested you never have to take it off, but if you ski tour in the PNW, it won't be nearly breathable (or waterproof) enough to serve as more than an insulating layer, most of the time. Probably works great in Utah and Colorado, where the temps are quite a bit lower and the snow is much drier. Also looks more fragile than a Nano Puff, but that's just an impression. Would be interesting to hear about real world use.
    For me, it'd be way too warm to tour with out here in CO. In my opinion, it seems better suited to moderate activity like koot says. I don't even need a fleece heavier than a 100, and when paired with a softshell I'm comfortable above treeline on the coldest of days unless its really nasty out, and then I want full wind protection from a superlight puffy on top, belay style (think nano puff). I just don't see a use for the nano air for touring. For resort skiing, if I need a layer that warm, I'd much rather have an insulated hardshell for venting that can immediately bypass the insulation.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    For me, it'd be way too warm to tour with out here in CO. In my opinion, it seems better suited to moderate activity like koot says. I don't even need a fleece heavier than a 100, and when paired with a softshell I'm comfortable above treeline on the coldest of days unless its really nasty out, and then I want full wind protection from a superlight puffy on top, belay style (think nano puff). I just don't see a use for the nano air for touring. For resort skiing, if I need a layer that warm, I'd much rather have an insulated hardshell for venting that can immediately bypass the insulation.
    I think I agree here. The only time I use my primaloft puffer is inbounds on freezing ass vermont inbounds days under a Neoshell shell. It doesn't breathe well but in those cases it doesn't matter much. I can see this piece being superior in those conditions , but again , I'm not sure how much better than a fleece

Got one for Christmas. It's been perfect in the office for the start of this shoulder season on those days when the HVAC system can't quite synch up with the outside temp. Haven't had to shed/replace layers nearly as frequently as in years past

I got one for cold resort days just because I prefer the feel and slight stretch of the face fabric over the Nano Puff or similar pieces. Never worn it touring, too warm.

I am a Patty fanboy and own way to much of their stuff... I have the Nano Puff 1/4 zip and both the Nano Air Jacket and vest... I still don't know how people used the Puff as a layering piece under a shell, but absolutely love my Air jacket and vest for layering... I also use it as an around the town piece and find it extremely warm and breaths much better than my Puff ... However, with the Air I do not think it would be as durable as the Puff and would also not want to tour with the Air as it is warm... Since buying the Air my Puffs have been relegated to grunt work/menial chores...

Definitely too warm for skinning for most folks. But for stop and go situations they work very well.

It's wicked comfy in the coffee shop. Ill probably get a lot of use out of it sea kayak touring this year. Great evening island wear piece.

I love my Air for touring. Most of the time I don't use it skinning, but there have been days (December) when I needed it due to cold temps + wind. I like it better than the Puff for skiing down because I put it on first thing when I transition, but it still allows my sweaty body vapor to breath out as my temp comes down.

Quote Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
    I think I agree here. The only time I use my primaloft puffer is inbounds on freezing ass vermont inbounds days under a Neoshell shell. It doesn't breathe well but in those cases it doesn't matter much. I can see this piece being superior in those conditions , but again , I'm not sure how much better than a fleece
    +1 here. I have one- and love it, I wear it all the friggin' time. Very well made and versatile. That being said, I have used it for touring exactly once and only on a very cold day. Unless you tour very slowly, it is way too warm for ski touring. (Then again I usually tour in just a capilene silk weight and lightweight soft-shell 90% of the time, so I am one who favors running cold.) If I wore it on, for example, a 20 degree F day, I would be drenched in sweat and miserable.

The piece that is near totally useless is the nano puff. The Nano air is awesome . I hardly use fleece anymore. The air packs better then fleece, blocks wind better, breathes better and, I think, it dries quicker/holds less water. You can ski in it, just stay out of the trees. I use mine all the time for skiing and climbing, around town, etc. My nano puff is now just a town jacket.

I have a BD version that will be out next year, i think its called the alpine start.

I think it is the perfect piece for touring in cold weather, for me works only when it is 15 degrees or colder.

Also a great mid layer for ice climbing on really cold days.

Quote Originally Posted by christoph benells View Post
    I have a BD version that will be out next year, i think its called the alpine start.

I think it is the perfect piece for touring in cold weather, for me works only when it is 15 degrees or colder.

Also a great mid layer for ice climbing on really cold days.
    "Alpine Start Puffy" or something? Because the BD Alpine Start Hoody is a lightweight softshell. Competes against the Patagonia Houdini and similar. (I know you likely know this, but your post was confusing.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Have the Nano Air Jacket and Vest but what I didn't expect was overheating under some of my hard shells. It amazed me how something so air permeable could be so warm under a shell.
    In comparison I found my EB Propellant with Polartec Alpha to be better under the same hard shells when it comes to overheating.

Happy to have the Nano Air jacket and vest but if Patty would use Polartec Alpha in the Nano Air line I think I would like it better

Regardless my Nano Air vest is still my favorite....love the fit and feel of it

thats

Sorry,

Black Diamond

"first light hoody"

Been using the vest for touring this year. I have found it great for cold dry weather, esp if there is a bit of wind. Keeps the chill out when zipped up, doesn't make me overheat when unzipped.
    Can't decide whether I'd find the jacket as useful as the vest
    fur bearing, drunk, prancing eurosnob

Quote Originally Posted by Arno View Post
    Been using the vest for touring this year. I have found it great for cold dry weather, esp if there is a bit of wind. Keeps the chill out when zipped up, doesn't make me overheat when unzipped.
    Can't decide whether I'd find the jacket as useful as the vest
    I have both and as of now only use the vest for layering and love it... Never over heat... Love the jacket, but have never found the need/cold enough to use it... But I am talking solely used as a layering piece... For me Patty hit a home run with the Air...

Quote Originally Posted by christoph benells View Post
    Sorry,

Black Diamond

"first light hoody"
    Specs seem to point to primaloft silver...

Love it. I overheat all the time with a NanoPuff under a shell skiing.