Thread: Ireland beta?

Ireland beta?

Wifey and I are going to Ireland for a few weeks at the end of May.

Anybody got anything to share re: best places to fish, good guides/shops, etc?

Yes, I have already searched the net. I am looking for your perspective, if you have one.
    "You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning".

-Scottish Proverb

I was talking to an Ulster friend today about going over to Ireland for a fishing trip. He recommended the river Drowes.

I have fished the mountain loughs for brown trout . . . . Great fun, and a fantastic way to see some of the best of Ireland - Galway area is good for this. Usually free when you get off the beaten track, at least it was when I lived there.

The Atlantic salmon season is underway and I would highly recommend catching an Atlantic salmon.

By May the sea trout will be running. Sea trout are like your steelhead, smaller, but fight like fury. They are anadromous brown trout. Best fishing is at night with fly. Like for Salmon the rivers of the north and west will be best.

Google Irish salmon fly patterns, and sea trout patterns. The fly fishing forums will be informative too.

I am into fly fishing for sea trout and salmon, however the sea angling is excellent also, consider getting on a charter from the Kerry area. Avoid the mackerel bashing tourist boats and go for a charter that will take you right out over wrecks and reefs where bigger sport is to be had - tope, shark, rays, ling, cod, conger etc. The charters are often booked up way in advance by groups but you may be able to get on one.

Tight lines, drink Guinness and eat oysters.
    Gone fishing

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    I was talking to an Ulster friend today about going over to Ireland for a fishing trip. He recommended the river Drowes.

I have fished the mountain loughs for brown trout . . . . Great fun, and a fantastic way to see some of the best of Ireland - Galway area is good for this. Usually free when you get off the beaten track, at least it was when I lived there.

The Atlantic salmon season is underway and I would highly recommend catching an Atlantic salmon.

By May the sea trout will be running. Sea trout are like your steelhead, smaller, but fight like fury. They are anadromous brown trout. Best fishing is at night with fly. Like for Salmon the rivers of the north and west will be best.

Google Irish salmon fly patterns, and sea trout patterns. The fly fishing forums will be informative too.

I am into fly fishing for sea trout and salmon, however the sea angling is excellent also, consider getting on a charter from the Kerry area. Avoid the mackerel bashing tourist boats and go for a charter that will take you right out over wrecks and reefs where bigger sport is to be had - tope, shark, rays, ling, cod, conger etc. The charters are often booked up way in advance by groups but you may be able to get on one.

Tight lines, drink Guinness and eat oysters.
    Thanks! This is helpful and in-line with what I have been reading. I live and work next to a sea run brown stream in Connecticut, so I am familiar with sea trout.

-Scottish Proverb

Do you get Atlantic salmon up Connecticut rivers? How far down the Eastern seaboard US did they run? Is there any recovery going on? Sorry too many questions.
    Gone fishing

Sparky,

Yes, we do get Atlantic salmon. They have been stocking them in the northeastern part of the state and wild fish have been found spawning for the first time in centuries in the western part of the state. This is good news. Here are a few media links:

http://wnpr.org/post/newly-found-atl...enges#stream/0

http://www.courant.com/news/connecti...224-story.html

http://www.fishingnortheast.net/conn...he-late-1700s/

I haven't personally caught or seen one. However, I live on the southeast coast and fish more or less locally.

-Scottish Proverb