Camping in Indian Peaks in April?

So I'm trying to plan an overnight backpacking trip for the outdoor club at CSU and I was hoping to head up to Indian Peaks Wilderness but am getting discourage due to snow and temps. Has anyone been up there recently or had experience in the area during april? If not, does anyone have any recommendations for overnight backpacking on the front range that would be doable April 16-17?
    Cheers,

Hey JONG, you can camp in any weather if you have the right gear.

Are you saying you're trying to avoid snow? In that case, stay out of the Indian Peaks (and anything else high elevation in Colorado) until at least mid-June. Possibly more like mid-July, depending on the year. Earlier than that, check the Lost Creek Wilderness, or head to the desert.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Hey JONG, you can camp in any weather if you're not a pussy!
    FIFY
    Wait, is this another April Fools post or is someone dumb enough to want to go on backpacking in the high country in April?
    Are we talking a ski traverse?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

FIFY
    Wait, is this another April Fools post or is someone dumb enough to want to go on backpacking in the high country in April?
    Are we talking a ski traverse?
    I actually almost typed exactly that...

I greatly enjoy hanging out at popular IPW trailheads in June, drinking beer at the end of a ski day, watching all the beaters in running shoes or Chacos and shorts leave the TH and return 10min later after they get stopped by snow.

Guess I had that coming, should have clarified that I'm not trying to avoid snow but was wondering if anyone had camped up there this time of year, but your responses confirmed my guess that IPW is not a popular springtime camping destination. The club is already leading a Moab trip so I was hoping to find somewhere else to go but yeah alpine level terrain wasn't the best place to start. Appreciate the responses.

We camped at the base of ogallala last April. So money. Maybe best skiing in IPW if you're willing to haul your gear in for 14 miles or so. Pretty flat approach at least.

Quote Originally Posted by patagonialuke View Post
    Guess I had that coming, should have clarified that I'm not trying to avoid snow but was wondering if anyone had camped up there this time of year, but your responses confirmed my guess that IPW is not a popular springtime camping destination. The club is already leading a Moab trip so I was hoping to find somewhere else to go but yeah alpine level terrain wasn't the best place to start. Appreciate the responses.
    What fly over state are you from?
    No longer stuck.

$100 on Kansas

moved out here from Wisconsin about 2 years ago so I'm still trying to figure out the seasonal conditions.

You might be able to get a decent spot near Monarch Lake on the west side.

Quote Originally Posted by patagonialuke View Post
    moved out here from Wisconsin about 2 years ago so I'm still trying to figure out the seasonal conditions.
    In 2 years, you haven't figured out that April is still winter in the high country of wherever "here" is?
    Then again, look at Wisconsin. What a shitshow.

I hope this helps.
    No longer stuck.