Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Tesla Model 3

Saw one today on 131. It's not an attractive car.

In BC our power utility will buy from you at $0.099/kwh and sell it back to you at $0.079/kwh. It makes grid tie a better option that being off grid. They charge you $.17 per day to be connected to their grid so for about $65/year you use the grid as your battery with no depreciation or maintenance costs, it makes having a battery bank in your basement pointless. If at the end of the year when they reconcile your net usage you've produced more than you used they write you a cheque. It will still take $15+ years to pay off your panels but you get to feel good about being green. I have plans to put about $8000 worth of panels on my roof and I'm considering a Bolt but I'll keep my Tacoma to haul my sled and run to the dump/hardware store....
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

"On Friday morning, the CEO said that the Model 3 will probably cost about $42,000 with an average mix of options and add-ons, adding that Tesla is “definitely going to need to rethink production planning” due to the high volume of reservations placed for the car in the first 24 hours. A fully tricked-out Model 3 could cost as much as $60,000.

Musk said on Saturday night that Tesla had sold 276,000 ....."

The math..... 276000 x 42000 = 11.592 Billion dollars. Kinda makes the 800 million loss last year insignificant if they can make money on each car.
    You are what you eat.

...then add in the credits you get.

Speaking of credits, our "solar facilities" are registered for SREC (solar renewable energy credit) with the state and they go up for auction soon for last quarter, which is the first full quarter they were fully registered . Last quarter the spot price in Mass. was $271.03 in Mass. and we have 4 available. It's a spot market so the price could theoretically be anythng but they've been fairly consistent here so we're expecting somewhere in the neighborhood of $1000.00 from the sales, which is better than a poke in the eye from a sharp stick.

Discussion about alternative energy storage on the radio today. Compressed air, molten salt, and huge blocks of ice are all being used in some capacity right now.

I will be the last person in the united states to buy an electric vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver View Post
    In BC our power utility will buy from you at $0.099/kwh and sell it back to you at $0.079/kwh. It makes grid tie a better option that being off grid. They charge you $.17 per day to be connected to their grid so for about $65/year you use the grid as your battery with no depreciation or maintenance costs, it makes having a battery bank in your basement pointless. If at the end of the year when they reconcile your net usage you've produced more than you used they write you a cheque. It will still take $15+ years to pay off your panels but you get to feel good about being green. I have plans to put about $8000 worth of panels on my roof and I'm considering a Bolt but I'll keep my Tacoma to haul my sled and run to the dump/hardware store....
    I heard it ends up costing $5k+ for sparky charges+BC Hydro-specified equip to connect to the grid?

Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    I heard it ends up costing $5k+ for sparky charges+BC Hydro-specified equip to connect to the grid?
    $5k is a pretty high estimate for that end of things, probably closer to $3k but it is a scaled number based on your installation size. (more panels = more current = bigger gear = more money) I can get all the parts at wholesale, I can do the work myself then get a Field Safety Rep to sign it off. I know lots of sparkys, even some that will do that for me for beer so it will keep installation costs down. I finally get to use my 25 years of electrical engineering contacts for personal gain.
    You are what you eat.

I got stuck on Haida Gwai last year and ended up in a Hostel right in Queen Charlotte city that was totaly off the grid, buddy had completely cut himself from the grid even tho he was in town and Sid took the term "eccentric" to another level but it all made sense

he was using a solar array that tracked the sun by servo motors which he claimed was good for an extra 40% it was pretty funky to hear the servo's buzz & watch the array trac the sun, the array was glued into a bed frame with insulating foam which was mounted on an old chunk of pipe for the post, at night or in the event of a hurricane the panel goes completely horizontal, all connections were soldered

for batteries Sid liked liquid cell so he would pick thru the used battery cores at NAPA auto supply, he especialy liked the big batteries from Trucks & tractors, as long as there were no dead cells he had a 30$ device that he got from china to desulphicate the plates in the battery to make them good as new, he sez china is light years ahead of us in solar and so he orders his stuff on the internet with his satellite internet hookup

so it cost Sid for some panels and a controler

for transportation he had an electric scooter charged by a solar panel, all totally off the grid and totally weird
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

During one 20-degree weekend in late November, features editor Jeff Sabatini left the office on Friday with an indicated 225 miles of range, the maximum charge on the battery in its standard mode. He drove just 54 miles over the weekend and plugged in once to add 22 miles of indicated range, yet the car’s dashboard readout said he had just 59 miles remaining by Monday morning. That’s 134 miles of range lost to heating the cabin, conditioning the battery pack, and the efficiency reduction all EVs experience in the cold.
    http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...-update-review

A friend of mine bought a Model X a few months ago (maybe 3 mos.) It's been in the shop 3x. Noice. I'd rather have my XC60Name:  2016-tesla-model-x-side-motion-view.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  32.5 KB
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    . I'd rather have my XC60Name:  2016-tesla-model-x-side-motion-view.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  32.5 KB
    White guy aren't ya?

Be cool to see this or something like it materialize.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post

Seems diesel-electric would happen first but I don't know too much about trucking

Every time the mailman drives by, I think Electric Car. Can't think of a better use.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    That's pretty bad ass.

Very interesting review. It seems Tesla might not be the choice for people in cold climates. I live in Orange County and the Model S is all over the place. Obviously we don't have an issue with cold weather. I didn't know the cold could affect battery life THAT much, the data in the article is eye-opening.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Now that Tesla 3 is in the news again: https://qz.com/1040956/your-electric...han-you-think/

Obv I'm biased since I live in a mountain town, but it bugs me how much press there is on e-cars yet nearly zero mention of the challenges in a cold climate.

For example, do the chemistry alternatives to lithium salt affect this issue? Etc

Agreed; heck, I get upset over the loss of battery power in my hybrid in Winter down here in the valley (cool, but not mountain cold) - seems like a complete deal breaker in 100% electric. Now, if fuel cell/hydrogen would catch up overnight ......

Part of the reason the newest Toyota battery development was such big news is that the solid state batteries should be see less effect from the cold

Teslas are pretty popular in our neck of the woods. Was talking to an owner who has a Model X and a Model S. He loves them. Lives up at one of the highest properties around here. I don't think range has been much of an issue for him on his S. Now that he's had a solid winter with the X now tho I'll follow up next time I see him and see how it's fared.

Sent from my Moto G Play using TGR Forums mobile app

There's a shitload if EV's in Aspen, since they can park for free.
    There's also a Tesla showroom.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Now that Tesla 3 is in the news again: https://qz.com/1040956/your-electric...han-you-think/

Obv I'm biased since I live in a mountain town, but it bugs me how much press there is on e-cars yet nearly zero mention of the challenges in a cold climate.

For example, do the chemistry alternatives to lithium salt affect this issue? Etc
    How far do you have to drive in a ski town though? You lose mileage on gasoline cars as well.

310 range on the Telsa 3 for $44k. Holy shit that is awesome. Reviews are awesome. This is exciting times. Brand new reviews.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/tesla...ampaign=buffer

http://www.businessinsider.com/tesla...ampaign=buffer