Need a 2 car garage built 1 mile east of Denver...

Would love estimates from qualified mags, friends of mags, or referrals from mags. I've gotten estimates as low as 14 and as high as 35k. Help and recommendations appreciated.

As you probably know, $35K is way high and $14K is way low (assuming your are talking about a +/- 24'X24' garage with average finishes on a monoslab. I don't know what your ability and interest in being a homeowner GC is but that is the cost saving method.

I've done a couple of these for friends and know the process pretty well. The least expensive way is to go with a garage package from somewhere like https://sutherlands.com/cimarron.php?loc=0#.Vv6I7fkrLIU

Find an excavactor and a concrete guy. I might be able to frame and side it for you depending on timing.

I'd be happy to guide you through the process. Bottom line...it's easy...lots of Denver contractors suck...don't get rolled.

Thanks foggy. Pm me with your details , I'd love to meet up and buy you a beer and chat about it. I know 35 is ridiculous and 14 is dirt cheap, I was hoping someone like yourself could point me in the right direction to getting a simple 20x24 built without getting ripped off

I'm in the market also and two of my neighbors got bro deals at about 14k. Lots of work down here but lots of competition.
    I was going to ask them for references soon.

Evil, I wasn't clear. I live and work in Tabernash. I have framed and sided garages in the city from friends. I have no problem guiding you through the process. One of my few true skills in being a contractors. I try to help the Maggots in that regard.

Ask you questions here and I'll try and help for you and everyone else's benefit. You don't have to touch any tools or do any Manuel labor however you can control the costs by doing all the pre-construction and project management. To keep it simple, start with the follow steps.

a. Find out what the setbacks are for your lot and where the lot lines are. You might have a survey from when you purchased the house, you may have to go to planning and zoning or find in online. From this info figure out how big a garage will fit and where it will go. Stake this out on your lot.
    b. Find out who your local building department is (Denver, Aurora, Adams County etc.). See what there rules are for homeowner contractor (tell them you will be doing everything except electrical).
    c. Find some lumber yards that offer garage packages and price those. They can also give you a list of contractors that they suggest.

Let me know what you find out.

If you end up doing it as a homeowner contractor and need a hand framing in the next few weeks let me know.

Thanks foggy, I think this route may be my best bet. What can I estimate to spend if I use your method ?

Hard to say. You can't estimate a project until you have a scope of work. Go through the above steps and price your garage pack. They you will have the documents you need to have contractors bid/estimate your projects. I honestly have no idea what Front Range Labor prices are today. Customers always get frustrated with try can't get a quick and dirty number but that is reality. I'll let the following questions provide further explanation.

1. Does your jurisdiction allow monoslabs?

2. What is the soil? How is the excavating? Are you talking the spoil or does it need to be hauled?

3. Can the trusses be hand lifted or do we need a crane?

4. What kind of siding? Paint or stain? What kind of doors? Insulation and drywall?

5. Electrical? Can we trench from the house? Do you need a new service?

6. Dumpster or you haul the garbage?

In other word, I have no idea how much it will cost but it probably is between $14 & $34. Some advice and tough love...contractors are too busy to give out "free estimates", we always give you some homework to see how interested and motivated you are. If you put in the time to answer the questions I provided, contractors will think you are serious and will put in their time to help you.

i'd also ask yourself if, by the time you spend the effort to properly self-general this process, it's worth it...

apply your hourly rate to all the research time and coordination time between subs pre-construction and during construction and see if you are actually saving money

you will have issues to deal with during business hours once this process gets started (meeting delivery drops, pre-constr mtgs w/ subs to make sure they agree on scope & details of how disciplines meet, on-site review of current work, going out to get extra materials (if needed), etc, etc).

site prep/demo
    concrete
    framing
    elec or plum?
    insul?
    drywall?
    roofing
    doors (man door + garage door)
    siding/trim
    painting
    concrete/asphalt (do the driveway last so it doesn't get beat to hell)

on the plus side, a garage is a pretty simple structure

Need a 2 car garage built 1 mile east of Denver...

Labor isn't cheap on the front range. We just built a 1.5 car detached for $41.5K. No monoslab, trenched electrical from the house, fiberglass insulation and drywall (fire rated on one side), 3 windows, manufactured trusses, Hardie siding, asphalt shingles, half round gutters, 3x10 attached garden shed. Might be more than you need but just a point of comparison. We could have cut costs with no shed, no windows, no insulation/drywall, lower height (9' clearance door - can drive in with fork mount bikes on the roof!).

My experience is about 4 years old now. 2+ car (24' x 32') detached, T-111 siding, metal roof, 10 ft door (think full size truck, shell, and boxes on top), 3 windows, solar for electric (cheaper than running new service), with small storage loft. Total cost ~$24k. Excavation drove costs more than anything else. Priced a traditional construction, no monoslab at over $45k with a couple of contractors. Changed plans to more of a "pole barn" type of construction - pier footing, poured internal slab, engineered trusses. Did alot of the work my self (permits, solar/electrical, loft, interior finishes, etc.), but hired out the excavation, erection of the building shell, and concrete work. Turned out really nice. JeffCo planning and zoning was a real pain to deal with though - had to get a variance for setbacks. Pic is after the exterior was completed, but before electrical and interior. It now has solar panels on the roof as well. It looks a little smaller because of the door height. There are two full size trucks in there with plenty of room.

Don't let the contractors scare you from managing it yourself. Garages are pretty easy really. As long as you have some project management skills, and some schedule flexibility with your day job, it wouldn't be that difficult to self contract it. As those above though stated - do you homework.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	464226_2224270343855_1001013716_o.jpg 
Views:	450 
Size:	706.0 KB 
ID:	180080
    Last edited by GeoMatt; 04-07-2016 at 11:24 AM.

Thanks everyone. Great info, lots of decisions...

Quote Originally Posted by Evil E View Post
    Thanks everyone. Great info, lots of decisions...
    As my carpenter brother said "building a house is 2,000 decisions and you need to decide 1,000 of them before you start".
    A garage is a small house...

I'm looking for someone to build a 30' x 30' for me in Haines - no planning and zoning to deal with, any takers?

Quote Originally Posted by wendigo View Post
    As my carpenter brother said "building a house is 2,000 decisions and you need to decide 1,000 of them before you start".

I'm looking for someone to build a 30' x 30' for me in Haines - no planning and zoning to deal with, any takers?
    just go down to the brewery. Probably one of the heli skiers that have been sitting around for the last two weeks is a contractor
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by wendigo View Post

I'm in. I could be there by late May. PM sent.

Just thinking. There's been so much mental acrobatics involved in trying to make shipping containers work as houses despite the fact that they're terrible starting points for such structures. A garage on the other hand seems like a quite natural fit for a recycled shipping container.
    Quote Originally Posted by twodogs View Post
    Hey Phill, why don't you post your tax returns, here on TGR, asshole. And your birth certificate.

Just saw a house today that had a brand new prefab 2-car garage brought in on a truck. $17K garage on a $975K house.