Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Fucking tubeless flats

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    How well does that stuff work for sealing small tears, Kid? The only thing stans has been successful on for me is thorns.
    It's just thicker latex. It's a way to get the same idea as stans, just thicker, more pluggier, and dries quicker.

But I've put a hole in dh tires before, just hung out for like 7 minutes and pump them back up and never thought about them again. It's not perfect but it's definitely better than stans alone. But yeah I still haven't used anything better. I've never used that orange stuff though. Maybe that's the shiz. I have some friends that think so.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

I do think it's probably the tires. Orange vs. stans vs. Kidwoo's sex latex probably doesn't matter as much as the tire itself, in this case. Get some Maxxis tubeless ready tires (minions or high rollers or whatever), put any of that shit in there, and you'll probably be good to go. Way better tires for actual riding, regardless of flats.

http://www.notubes.com/Stans-Race-Se...art-P1977.aspx
    Gonna guess this is basically the Kidwoo solution with some glitter thrown in to excite the MTBR crowd.
    I was actually hoping they'd sell this in 2oz bottles like the older stuff. 2oz of this and a CO2 cartridge might be all you need for even ghnarley flats.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Might be the wimpy ass sidewalls on the tires. I found 2 holes in the front tire and one in the rear.

Have nevegals taken a shit recently? I ran them on my last bike for 2 years without any problem.
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

My old nevegals seal fine. They are slow and sticky, and TGR doesn't like them. Sometimes I like grippy, slow tires.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

I got Nevegals when they were new 12 yrs ago cuz they were the fastest rolling at the time, I went non-ust tires on UST rims with stans but the tire always lost 10 lbs every night ...eventualy I just put tubes in them

IME the minion DHR II UST are at least as fast/grippy and don't leak
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    http://www.notubes.com/Stans-Race-Se...art-P1977.aspx
    Gonna guess this is basically the Kidwoo solution with some glitter thrown in to excite the MTBR crowd.
    I was actually hoping they'd sell this in 2oz bottles like the older stuff. 2oz of this and a CO2 cartridge might be all you need for even ghnarley flats.
    I refill my little buddy bottles for pack usage, just gotta keep the foil cover or put a little square of gorilla tape under the threaded cap so you don't jizz your pack.

Carrying extra liquids on bike rides......

Sealant vs. whiskey

One of us is doing it wrong.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

This. Maxxis and Schwalbe tires work great tubeless for me, Continentals and Kendas have always been a pain in the ass. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by farmguy View Post
    I have ran the Nevegal tires for the last 2 summers and they ALWAYS leak no matter what I have tried. I stuck tubes back in them, all my other tires are tubeless and they work slick as hell, even CX tires.

this is the funniest thread i have read in a while, beav after you tube your nevegals and wear those out i hope you have better luck with the next tubeless try, i have flatting issues but now they don't seem so bad :-).

my wife loves to give me shit when i flat, she doesn't find the irony that when she flats it's 50/50 that she is walking out
    Like I told my last wife, I never drive faster than I can see, besides it's all in the reflexes.

Sounds like you should stop using Kenda tires. That's your problem, not the tubeless.

I tried tubeless 3 years ago and ran away screaming after squirmy tires and burps left and right.

I did ghetto split-tube last year for a few months and trust it entirely. You're not too rad. Add tape, buy better tires, and slather yourself in KY.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burton View Post
    my wife loves to give me shit when i flat, she doesn't find the irony that when she flats it's 50/50 that she is walking out
    Does she not carry a tube for emergency situations? That's pretty much mandatory IMO.

I've been of the impression that sealing the bead needs more like 60 psi. Put some sunglasses on.
    Ps, have Spesh tires and Gorilla tape. The inch wide stuff from the end cap at the hardware store. Works great. Everything is awesome.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

I've never had any of these problems.

I've had better luck with ghetto split tube than anything else. Just get 100% latex caulk from the hardware store, mix with water, glitter, and some Slime to desired thickness.

Some tires don't play well with some rims too....
    "The world is a very puzzling place. If you're not willing to be puzzled you just become a replica of someone else's mind." Chomsky

"This system make of us slaves. Without dignity. Without depth. No? With a devil in our pocket. This incredible money in our pocket. This money. This shit. This nothing. This paper who have nothing inside." Jodorowsky

I think the ghetto 20" BMX split tube rimstrip of the ghetto tubless provides a superiour bead/tire seal which is what makes the ghetto setup work so well ?

I think you could use ghetto mix or stans or orange with a ghetto rim strip ?

more than 10 yrs ago I seen the stans demo both at interbike where buddy would poke a spoke stuck in a broom handle thru a bike tire 5 times in rapid sucession as he gave us the spiel, the holes would spew air/stans for 10-15 seconds and seal, which would indicate to me that stans would work great on thorns ?

buddy would do this hundreds of time for wed/thur/fridays of the show, said he would change to a new tire once on thursday nite ... I was impressed

^^ plus I don't have to use tubeless specific tires and rims.
    "The world is a very puzzling place. If you're not willing to be puzzled you just become a replica of someone else's mind." Chomsky

"This system make of us slaves. Without dignity. Without depth. No? With a devil in our pocket. This incredible money in our pocket. This money. This shit. This nothing. This paper who have nothing inside." Jodorowsky

yeah I have only tried to do tubeless on tubeless rims

Stans fluid and non-UST nevegals did not work very well so after seeing buddy at the Stans booth repeatedly stick a pointy object thru a tire alredy full of holes of course I was like WTF nevegal and just thru in some tubes

Even without any fluid schwalbe big jim ust, maxxis highroller ust all worked fine on the 819 UST rims

minion ust tires with orange are working fine

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Carrying extra liquids on bike rides......

Sealant vs. whiskey

One of us is doing it wrong.
    My frame bag for my Ice Cream Truck has a custom flask pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver View Post
    Ya, I think maybe I'm just to rad. I ran getto tubless on my last bike and they were great until I tore my sidewall. I like tubeless because there are a lot of rocks around here, it doesn't matter how much pressure I run with tubes, if I ride fast I'll snakebite.

When I first installed them I got the seating pops. I put in 45 psi to make fucking sure they would not roll off or squash and burp. I figured they'd leak out a little like they did the day before. Now I've probably got mud ground into the bead. I'll pop the bead, clean them up and try again.

According to the Giant website my rims are Giant P-AM2, Double wall. I don't have my bike in front of me so I can't say for sure the tires are UST but I do know they're tubless tires.

And no, not 1/2 liter of stan's per tire.
    45 psi is crazy pressure for a 2.3"+ tire. The beads on a tire are stiff, but they do stretch elastically. The high pressure might have caused the bead to somewhat lift out of the ust channel and not be locked in, leading to the burping when side loaded. Try 30-35 psi.

Do you mean to just set the bead, or leaving/riding them like that?
    No longer stuck.

I've never had to go much higher than 35-38 psi to set the bead - at least on maxxis tires. 40 max to get that pop.

Also note once you blow one off the rim be very skeptical of continuing to use them with a rubles setup. In all likelihood the bean has been stretched/compromised. I blew a DHF off a stand flow being a dumb ass with a compressor seating the bead. Never could get that tire right again without a tube.

Hm. Well, then again, I or my shop haven't (probably) used a gauge when setting it, so IDK what pressure does it. I guess I should take back my previous statement. Sorry, been on some heavy drugs.
    No longer stuck.