Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Delam repair - Goop vs JB Weld

(Yes, I searched, couldn't find a direct answer)

After lots of beers and lots of careless skiing in Tahoe last weekend, I have somehow acquired a minor (~1/2") delam crisis on the tail of my Wailer Pures. I have various adhesives on hand:

1) Amazing Goop Marine - have used this for binding mounts, was very happy with the results, not sure it meets the "slow-cure epoxy" requirements that I see people advocating for delam repair
    2) Regular old JB Weld - not much else to say about this one
    3) Gorilla Glue Epoxy - says "sets in 5 minutes" so seems not ideal

I'm leaning towards the amazing goop, but I'm not sure it's strong enough to hold long-term. Any thoughts?

Damage:
    Name:  delam5.JPG
Views: 5271
Size:  73.8 KB
    Name:  delam6.JPG
Views: 4987
Size:  98.5 KB

Various products I found in my drawer:
    Name:  epoxyoptions3.JPG
Views: 5861
Size:  139.5 KB

Slow set epoxy is the best. From what you have handy i would go with the gorilla glue epoxy. Clamp good and you should be fine.
    Drink to remember not to forget!
    Fourisight Wines

Gorrila doesn't speak to me for this app cuz possibly not strong enough?

Any body know what is the make up of marine goop?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I have used JB Weld for delams on my db Tablas and Surreals as well as on a couple pairs of Explosivs. Seems to hold up well.

the thing with JB is that its harder to get into the piece you are working on cuz it doesnt flow so you wana warm everything up real goodwithj a ahirdryer or heatgun if you go with JB

I couldn't get JB Weld to stick as a base weld replacement on my Wailer Pure's. It was suggested by marshal, and I asked him originally since the usual ptex weld wouldn't hold, (I believe since the base material is so thin). In this application, prolly the gorilla epoxy or the JB would work, but I'd use the gorilla.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Nice, thanks for the Wailer specific input - I may see if I can find something like the Gorilla but better at the local marine supply store this weekend instead of rushing it.

Thanks guys.

Delam repair - Goop vs JB Weld

Of the options you have listed, I have used gorilla glue (not epoxy), marine goop, and jb weld. Only the gorilla glue has not held. I prefer the goop as it is flexible once bonded.

I have also used the hardman slow set epoxy sold at slidewright (orange packets). Slidewright is currently out, but this stuff http://www.amazon.com/Hardman-Double.../dp/B00J1AA3C0
    Name:  51QbQ-WhZIL.jpg
Views: 4572
Size:  45.1 KB
    This is likely your best bet, but the marine goop has held if you are in a pinch.
    Last edited by klauss; 03-30-2016 at 09:14 PM.

Slow set epoxy. Use lots. Warm with a hair dryer to get it runny. Make sure you cover every surface that has delaminated. Use a razor blade to push it deep into the end of the opening. Clamp the shit out of it between two metal scrapers. Give it longer than it needs to set. Good as new.

Splat recommended G-Flex industrial, marine epoxy. Slow setting, flexible, and really strong. Worked great for me so far.

The engineer at DPS recommended west marine epoxy (g flex). That was for a ski tip repair but not so different from a delam or whatever it is you got there.

Another recommendation for G/flex, very strong, but also very flexible unlike most epoxies. Typically have to buy it online, not usually stocked at hardware stores.

West Systems G/flex. JB Weld won't flex at all.

I got mine at a boat store. Not that hard to get if you have one near.

Amazon gots gflex
    watch out for snakes

its easy to buy gallons of the stuff, the problem might be finding Gflex in small enough amounts?

I sure wouldn't trust JB Weld, any of the Gorilla glues or glue you get a Home Depot to repair a $1000 ski as once you use these and it doesn't work you have contaminated the area and make another repair more difficult. I would order a small West system repair kit from West Marine, it comes with two epoxy packets, filler et et. tape off area so glue slag won't run into top and bottom. Mix glue and add filler to thicken it. run into void, clamp tight and wait for a day. finish product will be stronger than new and no sign of damage.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    its easy to buy gallons of the stuff, the problem might be finding Gflex in small enough amounts?
    You can buy G-flex in pint (quart?) sized bottles for about $70. 4 ounce bottles are $20. I have purchased it from West Marine, but amazon has it also

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    This
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

G/flex is the only correct answer. Get the small boat repair kit for $20-30. Comes with syringes, handy for delams & chopped fiberglass if you need a thicker mix, bees knees for core shots & major base repair. Throw ptex candles and all that junk away. Heat and clamp overnight to cure, a waxed piece of melamine board on the epoxy side if doing a base repair. Then ski that shit like it never even happened.
    Life is simple. Go Explore.

G-flex it is - luckily I have a West Marine a couple miles away so I'll get it fixed this weekend (or screw it up and post pictures).

I use the G/Flex kit of two 4oz bottles, which runs about $27 shipped and lasts a loooong time. I've been using the same kit for years and have only used half.
    NRS G/flex Epoxy (2- 4oz)

To make it easier to accurately mix small amounts (for doing inserts or whatever), use Monoject dental syringes and equally-fill one syringe with resin and one with hardener. Then you can use the writing on the side of the syringes as a guide to dispense exactly the same amount from each syringe prior to mixing. The syringes are cheap enough that you can also use them to shoot mixed epoxy into voids, grease into bindings, etc.
    25 pcs Monoject 412 Curved Tip Utility Irrigation Syringes 12ml

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    +1
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

Quote Originally Posted by Metric22 View Post
    After lots of beers and lots of careless skiing in Tahoe last weekend, I have somehow acquired a minor (~1/2") delam crisis on the tail of my Wailer Pures. I have various adhesives on hand:
    Name:  delam5.JPG
Views: 5271
Size:  73.8 KB
    There seems to be others with ski delams here:
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...120-Delam-help

Anyways, I am curious how exactly how did you do that damage?

Define 'careless skiing'?
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er