FYI: Unreported slide in East Vail

あなたのおっぱいは富士山のように美しいです。富士

Kendo Yamamoto "1984"

That will get the heart rate up
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

that happened quick.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Looks like the airbag helped.

Isn't this the same guy who posted the video last year of his "ski descent" of the 1st Flatiron?

Quote Originally Posted by blazes_boylan View Post
    Isn't this the same guy who posted the video last year of his "ski descent" of the 1st Flatiron?
    The very same
    あなたのおっぱいは富士山のように美しいです。富士

Kendo Yamamoto "1984"

FYI: Unreported slide in East Vail

I didn't see a crown last weekend up there, though it looked pregnant and prime for ripping again. Pretty sure that was over the 40" storm, the prior week. Perhaps the same slide which, as a result, patrol shut down EV for the rest of the day? The same approx location where Tony died? Was up in Jackson enjoying their 40", but I'm rolling with those theories for now.

In other news, it was fun watching a bunch of jabroneys party hottub mushroom rock the other day.
    Last edited by Lindahl; 03-29-2016 at 02:01 PM.

Yeah. He's currently skiing all the peaks in RMNP this season.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Hope he got a filming permit for RMNP, or he'll meet the same fate as Dav in trying to release his footage.

Cool project though, I imagine he'll sell quite a few coffee table books.

That is, if he manages to not fuck himself up skiing questionable lines in the meantime.

Quote Originally Posted by COpow View Post
    Hope he got a filming permit for RMNP, or he'll meet the same fate as Dav in trying to release his footage.

Cool project though, I imagine he'll sell quite a few coffee table books.

That is, if he manages to not fuck himself up skiing questionable lines in the meantime.
    Here's some beta for all about said individual. No affiliation.
    https://www.instagram.com/aporzak1/?hl=en
    http://skirmnp.com
    Article about the flat iron thing. http://www.elevationoutdoors.com/aus...irst-flatiron/

http://adventure-journal.com/2016/03...another-skier/

Austin Porzak just had a seriously scary close call in the East Vail Chutes, located in…East Vail…and his sobered words are a good reminder to make better decisions and keep the wax-side down.

First of all in no way shape or form do I think being in a avalanche is cool or something to be proud of. It’s scary and something that should be avoided at all costs, but part of being in the backcountry is being open and honest with others so that they can learn and continue to enjoy the wilderness as well. I wanted to post this recent video of an avalanche I was in so that first, you could see just how much snow slid and how quickly it moved, but also to remind everyone out there of the possibility of avalanches, even in zones you have been skiing since you were a kid or where other skiers are present. We need to continue the conversation and remind each other to stay vigilant out there. I hope this video can help you stay aware out there.

I dropped in after making a few ski cuts and nothing moved. Eventually the slide was triggered. It broke everywhere around me and from about 100 feet above me. I heard my partner yelling, “slide, slide, slide”, and I immediately decided to go for the straight line off the 50+ footer I knew was below me. The slide was just too big and powerful and it bucked my right ski up. I was able to stop for a moment by grabbing on to a tree but as snow kept pouring by me, the tree eventually snapped. I had one chance to pull my avalanche airbag before going in. I pulled it and it inflated as I was going off the cliff.

You can hear me getting tossed off the 50+ footer and I had no clue where I was or which way was up or down. I was completely engulfed. I could feel motion and just kept thinking soon I would hit a tree and that would be it. I was gasping for air and swallowing snow. It was truly terrifying, and this is the reality of being in a slide. I fought hard to stay on top and keep my arms free but had no power. I could feel the snow trying to pull me under but my float pack kept me on top without question and this is a perfect example of why you should always use every tool at your disposal when skiing out of bounds.

At the end you can see the cliff I was tossed off of and where I ultimately stopped. The crown was 3 to 4 feet deep and ran for a ways. I hope we can all learn from this – I know I have. Please wear a avalanche float pack if you ride in the backcountry, ski with a capable partner and always carry a shovel, probe and beacon. I have taken avalanche and wilderness responder courses and can’t advocate for those enough. Knowledge and experience are tools too… The backcountry is a sacred place and I always go prepared. I never let my guard down but things happen to even the most seasoned veterans. We have to learn from others and never stop learning which is why I wanted to share this experience. I’m banged up but just happy that I’m alive and that this wasn’t a season ender. Thank you so much BCA for making products that keep us safe in the backcountry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Actually only the 50 tallest. Still a cool project, hope he'd doesn't kill himself first though. That slide looked super scary.

uff da if that isn't an ad for BCA I don't know what is

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    IThe same approx location where Tony died?.
    When I looked at the pic of the slide/crown area, I had the same thought. Haven't heard exactly for sure though.

And I was thinking about going there that day... yikes

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBall View Post
    When I looked at the pic of the slide/crown area, I had the same thought. Haven't heard exactly for sure though.
    Yeah, pretty sure I know that cliff well too. One of the few good sends in that zone.

Quote Originally Posted by Tryingtostaywarm View Post
    wow, climbers are even worse assholes than skiers....ugh.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Is there video of this? I've climbed that route a bunch, and major props. There are a couple 6' to 8' drops into 65 degree no fall zones. I want to see that shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    Is there video of this? I've climbed that route a bunch, and major props. There are a couple 6' to 8' drops into 65 degree no fall zones. I want to see that shit.
    There's video. But its boring AF. I wouldn't really call it a ski descent. Which is why blazes put it in quotes. More like rapping down the first with skis on with an occasional jump turn.