RIP Jim Harrison

Dude could drink. And write, fish and cook. Met him once in the UP, read a lot of his stuff while living, fittingly, in Montana.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Never met him, wish I had. Amazing writer and raconteur. Big fan for many, many years. His voice will be missed.

Brown dog is one of my favorite characters of all time. Sad news.

Fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck. I've read most of his stuff, and liked or loved most of that. Went to see him talk here once. He was great.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    http://www.anglersjournal.com/people...ording-to-jim/
    aint much about em be it read write fish
    that wasn't goods or greats
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    http://www.anglersjournal.com/people...ording-to-jim/
    aint much about em be it read write fish
    that wasn't goods or greats
    I sent that to my brother who's a literary type back in Feb and he instantly booked a trip out here for me to take him to MT. Wants to see Livingston and the Madison Valley/Ennis where Bad Luck Way is set. Looking forward to putting him on some spring creeks while at it.

RIP.

The last time I saw Harrison, he was on all fours in a bathroom talking to Louise Erdrich . . .

Quote Originally Posted by ms ann thrope View Post
    The last time I saw Harrison, he was on all fours in a bathroom talking to Louise Erdrich . . .
    ^Thats funny.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    pretty cool to see the old man puffin spirit blacks and tellin anthony bourdain how it is fore he passed on
    fuck that dude was a true american classic
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

BARKING

The moon comes up.
    The moon goes down.
    This is to inform you
    that I didn't die young.
    Age swept past me
    but I caught up.
    Spring has begun here and each day
    brings new birds up from Mexico.
    Yesterday I got a call from the outside
    world but I said no in thunder.
    I was a dog on a short chain
    and now there"s no chain.

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    pretty cool to see the old man puffin spirit blacks and tellin anthony bourdain how it is fore he passed on
    fuck that dude was a true american classic
    Cool episode, nice to see Tony catch a fish for once, though somehow the public lands issue seemed to come out tilted towards landowners which was odd. The history of Butte was pretty fascinating.

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    Cool episode, nice to see Tony catch a fish for once, though somehow the public lands issue seemed to come out tilted towards landowners which was odd. The history of Butte was pretty fascinating.
    Cool yes, but from the promos I had expected way more Harrison which kinda disappointed me. I wonder why there wasn't anything but passing mention of Harrison's Montana literary/art pals like McGuane and Chatham?

Anyone remember the column Harrison wrote for Esquire in the 90's (?) about food? It was about food but on a pretty gritty, hunter/gatherer sort of level. Great stuff. Dropped my subscription when he stopped. Looks like they were collected in "The Raw and the Cooked" along with some other stuff. Just loved reading about him washing down stuff like bear head cheese (that he hunted and made himself) with monopole Bourgogne. Fucking cool guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

I have "The Raw and the Cooked"...somewhere. Really a fun read. There's a good line in there somewhere about how drinking is too good to ruin by overdoing it.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    Cool yes, but from the promos I had expected way more Harrison which kinda disappointed me. I wonder why there wasn't anything but passing mention of Harrison's Montana literary/art pals like McGuane and Chatham?
    Chatham went broke and closed up his gallery in MT and moved back to CA 5 years ago and kind of dropped of the map. Bumped into him a few years ago and seemed to be in good spirits but content flying under the radar.

That's sad about Chatham. He's one of my favorite artists. I have one of his lithographs - In The Crazies.

I wish I had more.

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    Chatham went broke and closed up his gallery in MT and moved back to CA 5 years ago and kind of dropped of the map. Bumped into him a few years ago and seemed to be in good spirits but content flying under the radar.
    What happened? He seems to be doing well for a while there. Any beta on McGuane?

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    What happened? He seems to be doing well for a while there. Any beta on McGuane?
    Tom sure put a helluva remembrance together here-

"Harrison lived and wrote on his own terms, undaunted by gatekeepers whose credentials he was only too happy to question. This independence granted him remarkable diversity from superb lyrics to moving adventures, to heedless and bracing vulgarity. For decades he could be expected to pluck something marvelous right out of the blue such as Farmer or Dalva or Legends of the Fall.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Harrison loved Saturday nights and on one of them not long ago he sat at his desk writing a poem. The words trailed off into scribbles and he fell from his chair dead. He was 78 years old and had lived hard and worked hard. His health had failed, he had lost his wife of 55 years, his shingles were a torment. Back surgery had made his cherished walks with his dogs almost impossible. He remained undefeated, active and creative to the end but it was time to go. No one was less suited to assisted living. For his family, vastly numerous friends, and admirers, the death of Jim Harrison leaves an extraordinary vacancy, one that will cut many of them adrift. Few American writers of recent times have had his erudition, his audacity, his phenomenal memory, the breadth and quality of his accomplishment. Nevertheless, in the end, Jim Harrison was a country boy who’d been touched."
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

thanks for putting that there. what a posse those guys had.