Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    Alas I'm satisfied with my tele, p90 les Paul special and OM Eastman acoustic.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Quote Originally Posted by axebiker View Post
    Dude...you're married...not dead...

I've bought 3 guitars in the last 4 weeks. You just have to make sure that the guitars in = guitars out!
    I tried that. The one in = one out rule was rapidly amended to 12 in, four out.

What'd you get?
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

Big Alpha got a new brother today!!

Gravity. It's the law.

Here are his brothers...

...and a few cousins...

Gravity. It's the law.

Holy shit. Never seen so many RDs in one place.

Specs on the Explorer and the Firebird? I have been looking for a white Explorer for ever, and I very nearly bought a Pelham Blue Firebird with Lyre tail vibrola in Japan a couple months ago. Luckily for me when I asked the sales guy about it he told me it had already been sold.

The Bonin Petrels

Quote Originally Posted by hop View Post
    Holy shit. Never seen so many RDs in one place.
    They are a rare bird for sure. I wish I had been aware of them before "Ghost" when you could hardly give the things away... I really want to find a vintage one with all maple body/neck.

Specs on the Explorer and the Firebird? I have been looking for a white Explorer for ever, and I very nearly bought a Pelham Blue Firebird with Lyre tail vibrola in Japan a couple months ago. Luckily for me when I asked the sales guy about it he told me it had already been sold.
    They are both pretty much standard. The Explorer has a mahogany board which makes it pop a little more. Explorers are one of the most comfortable guitars I've ever played!

The Firebird is also pretty standard but it does have the Steinberger tuners which are soooooo much nicer than those stupid clunky heavy banjo tuners. The FB is likely going to get returned though. I picked it up used at GC for a fair price, but I'm not totally into the way it balances when played standing (neck heavy), and it's not as good in the lap. It puts the neck out farther than I like.
    Gravity. It's the law.

They are a rare bird for sure. I wish I had been aware of them before "Ghost" when you could hardly give the things away... I really want to find a vintage one with all maple body/neck.

They are both pretty much standard. The Explorer has a mahogany board which makes it pop a little more. Explorers are one of the most comfortable guitars I've ever played!

The Firebird is also pretty standard but it does have the Steinberger tuners which are soooooo much nicer than those stupid clunky heavy banjo tuners. The FB is likely going to get returned though. I picked it up used at GC for a fair price, but I'm not totally into the way it balances when played standing (neck heavy), and it's not as good in the lap. It puts the neck out farther than I like.
    I've heard that about both Explorers and FBs. I had an Epi FB bass for a while and while it sounded great, it was super neck heavy. Out of curiosity, how much did you pay? If you're planning on returning it - I may be interested. PM if you like.

The Bonin Petrels

My Explorer is nicely balanced, as are the RDs. The FB is almost passable, but having so many guitars, no point in holding on to one that doesn't blow me away.

PM'd you on the price.
    Gravity. It's the law.

That SG is purdy, I want one.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    That SG is purdy, I want one.
    Thanks! It's a nice one as a player too! Bought it "used" but I think it was a case queen, as it was spotless!
    Gravity. It's the law.

QFT. My approach as well. Maybe we should have a guitar/amp quiver pic thread.

Easy. New gear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Here's some Kimock fingerpicking mastery.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWqzVY4V-rc

Dave McGraw & Mandy Fer are playing in B'ham on March 22. Looking forward to catching up with them.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scdj...A36385DBB75511
    Nice ... that last song made me think that I'd love to see Kimmock collaborate with Laurie Anderson.

McGraw & Fer have Townes VanZandt vibe about them - haunting.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    QFT. My approach as well. Maybe we should have a guitar/amp quiver pic thread.
    Those are ALWAYS fun!!
    Gravity. It's the law.

Stahp you're going to make me insecure about my quiver.

Rainy day on the hill so I finally got around to building up a new pickguard for one of my Reverends.

The Bonin Petrels

Is that a DuckBucker and a Li'l 59? Sweet!! Tell me about that bridge p'up!
    Gravity. It's the law.

Is that a DuckBucker and a Li'l 59? Sweet!! Tell me about that bridge p'up!
    Yep, the neck and middle are 2/3 of a Seymour Duncan "Everything Axe" set that I had in my old Danelectro Innuendo. I sold the bridge with the Dano and saved these two anticipating this build. The bridge is a Railhammer Bob Balch. Joe Naylor of Reverend came up with the Railhammers to clear up humbucker mud and it totally works. Rails on the bass strings keep things tight, and oversized poles under the treble strings keep things fat. Bob Balch of Fu Manchu is one of my favorite guitarists so if he's got his name on these... I'm in. I have his sig. Reverend as well and it's a killer axe.

The bridge has a coil tap switch. Pretty stoked on this (assuming I did it all correctly)!

The Bonin Petrels

I usually sail the FAILboat every time I try wiring something... nice work, and great choices!

I have a Duncan JB/59 covered set to transplant into my Silverburst RD. Not at all impressed with the Lace Sensor Hammer Claws that came in it. Not sure they quite hit the billing, but here they are: http://www.lacemusic.com/Brent_Hinds_Hammerclaws.php.

A touch too generic for me, which is interesting considering they are a "signature" set.
    Gravity. It's the law.

I really like the JB in the neck position of my tele. I should set up a coil tap switch though. It really overpowers the bridge.

I usually sail the FAILboat every time I try wiring something... nice work, and great choices!

I have a Duncan JB/59 covered set to transplant into my Silverburst RD. Not at all impressed with the Lace Sensor Hammer Claws that came in it. Not sure they quite hit the billing, but here they are: http://www.lacemusic.com/Brent_Hinds_Hammerclaws.php.

A touch too generic for me, which is interesting considering they are a "signature" set.
    The best thing about wiring up guitars is that if you blow it - you just re-solder until you get it right. Schematics help! Of course nothing I've ever tried to wire has had an exact schematic to follow so there's usually some trial and error - and this particular one took me a couple years to muster up the courage to start actually wiring once I had installed all the pots and switches and so forth.

Quote Originally Posted by Chugachjed View Post
    I really like the JB in the neck position of my tele. I should set up a coil tap switch though. It really overpowers the bridge.
    Before taking things apart and re-wiring, have you tried just lowering the neck pickup and/or raising the bridge?

The Bonin Petrels

Learning guitar as an adult: lame or not?

The JB is flush with the pickguard. And the bridge is already pretty high. Plus I'd like the flexibility of the coil tap. Wiring is easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Chugachjed View Post
    Wiring is easy.
    Give yourself a bit more credit...it might be easy in theory (which I don't understand either), but it is an art to do it WELL. I wish I was better at it. Better equipment to do it would help...

New locking tuners are arriving today, so the project on the Silverburst begins this week!
    Gravity. It's the law.

I think it's the soldering that people have trouble with. That's the easy part for a welder.

Random but maybe this is the right spot for it... think anyone here would be interested in obtaining a PRS Hollowbody II with piezo pickup? I've got one that I just never play, seems a shame to leave it sitting in a closet. The pic below isn't mine, but it looks pretty much identical - could take actual pics if anyone was interested. Will probably just put it on consignment somewhere, but would be happy to have a mag playing it instead.

The piezo pickup is sweet - you can use the bridge pickup to get an acoustic sound, or the humbuckers for more traditional electric sounds, or blend them. It's also got separate outputs so you could send the acoustic pickup to a DI and the electric to an amp for totally separate tones. Super flexible.

Name:  prs-hollowbody-ii-artist-package-133872.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  51.2 KB
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

Take good pics and put it on Reverb!
    Gravity. It's the law.