Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Chugachjed View Post
    So how does one decide between an electric or acoustic guitar? I want to be able to play both but I can only get one for now. I've been playing a borrowed acoustic that's way way too nice for a novice like me and that term of lending is nearly over. I'm kinda leaning toward electric because I could play it unplugged at night without disturbing anyone.
    I would start with an acoustic personally. Can't go wrong with either.

If you went that route, get an amp with the effects built in. They're not as diverse as having 10 pedals, but you'll get to play around with different sounds. If a pedal is a must, a Vox V847 wah gives you a really classic motown funk sound

Also would take the time to learn how to read music. While learning which note is where is helpful, it's not essential. Learn how to read rhythm and you'll be able to play something like this without ever hearing the song.

Name:  tabWithRhythm-04b6bb33a25558cc111e06824009b27d.png
Views: 1096
Size:  10.9 KB

That's not sheet music that's tablature.

If you want effects get a cheap boss multi effects pedal like a me-50. Hundreds of classic emulations for next to nothing

Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post
    That's not sheet music that's tablature.
    I look at it as more of a hybrid. I've always seen tab as this:
    Name:  guitar-pro-tab-example5.gif
Views: 1545
Size:  1.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by wicked_sick View Post
    Pick whichever you'd prefer to play primarily, or whichever sounds most like the music you aspire to play. The skills are transferable, but it's more fun to learn when you are making the music you actually want to hear. If that makes any sense.
    This is what I keep hearing but I listen to 50/50 acoustic/electric music.

Monoprice guitars seem really well reviewed and the price is good. I'm probably going to keep cruising pawn shops and craigslist for now though. that's the sweet borrowed instrument.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Learning guitar as an adult: lame or not?

Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    I look at it as more of a hybrid. I've always seen tab as this:
    Name:  guitar-pro-tab-example5.gif
Views: 1545
Size:  1.6 KB
    The letters TAB where the staff would otherwise be is a dead giveaway

I knew a guy that took up the sax at 40. His goal was to study the sax until he was 50, quit his day job and earn a living playing. Last i heard he was living in Barcelona, playing in a quartet and enjoying life

Never lame... And being a poseur is as cool as being core on TGR. Never took lessons - just learned by ear and by watching other players. This is me...never guess that I'm an 80's fan...

Gravity. It's the law.

Quote Originally Posted by assman View Post
    I knew a guy that took up the sax at 40. His goal was to study the sax until he was 50, quit his day job and earn a living playing. Last i heard he was living in Barcelona, playing in a quartet and enjoying life

awesome story

I'm going to learn uke and guitar this summer with the help of my nine-year-old son.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

cut out all that macho shit

I want that white one second from the back.
    I think we need some vid of you playing.
    Quote Originally Posted by axebiker View Post
    Never lame... And being a poseur is as cool as being core on TGR. Never took lessons - just learned by ear and by watching other players. This is me...never guess that I'm an 80's fan...

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Poser? I don't get that at all. But start right away--you're already on the old side for learning new stuff and you aren't going to get any younger. I was lucky--I learned guitar as an early teen and back then I could still read music, which really helped--I had a teacher who would right out stuff for me to learn. Tab didn't exist back then. Lately I've been trying to learn Dobro with tab--I can't read music any more--and not making much progress. I have to think about each fret and each string for each note, whereas back when I could read music I could figure it out much more quickly. If you can afford lessons by all means take them.
    Funny, that's my story too - learned guitar starting at age 11 and got pretty good (played professionally in my 20s for a while), put it down for a few years in my 30s, and then picked up dobro at around 36. Been playing dobro in a band now for a couple of years, and it was much easier to learn because I already had the music background and ear. It's never too late to pick up an instrument!
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by skiballs View Post
    I want that white one second from the back.
    I think we need some vid of you playing.
    Everything has a price...except vid of me playing...nobody wants to see that...believe me...

Well...okay... http://youtu.be/EKduDhR7Y1Q

Gravity. It's the law.

hey dasposer, what you got big boy, here's a little wing bastardization.
    post up your stuff
    that's a $89 dollar guitar I bought at a pawn shop in Vegas
    and recorded on a 200 tablet

Rule #1 Dont play songs that are way over your head. sorry dude, that was no where close to being correct. That is a tough song to play right.

youtube has great instructional videos for almost anything, Ultimate guitar is a great resource too.

Everything has a price...except vid of me playing...nobody wants to see that...believe me...

there you go, i'm way to lazy to play that fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhelihiker View Post
    Rule #1 Dont play songs that are way over your head. sorry dude, that was no where close to being correct. That is a tough song to play right.

youtube has great instructional videos for almost anything, Ultimate guitar is a great resource too.
    um, did you miss the bastardization part. so your advice is stick to easy stuff and never try anything difficult. Dude, I am fully aware of my incompetence. I play for fun, so weather i suck or not just don't matter. Post up your stuff.

Wait, is this you live? Best cover ever!
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

oh my

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Me, I want to learn the souzaphone.
    tuba or gtfo

I'd throw down on some disco, if I could still get some ludes.
    quaaludes are still available in South Africa, you can buy them on the interwebs. Are they really that different from modern opiates? asking for a friend..

Quote Originally Posted by wyeaster View Post
    awesome story
    The dude was an anomaly though. He had and intensely complicated job and smoked weed all day everyday never missing a day or fucking up at work. I am guessing he was just one of those people that shit just comes naturally to

Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    If you went that route, get an amp with the effects built in. They're not as diverse as having 10 pedals, but you'll get to play around with different sounds. If a pedal is a must, a Vox V847 wah gives you a really classic motown funk sound
    Or you could just get an Apgoee Jam or an Irig, a pair of headphones, Garage Band and an Iphone/Ipad and have more sounds/effects than you can possible imagine. This solves the "not bothering the neighbors" angle too.

http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/jam

Quote Originally Posted by PassTheDutchie View Post
    Or you could just get an Apgoee Jam or an Irig, a pair of headphones, Garage Band and an Iphone/Ipad and have more sounds/effects than you can possible imagine. This solves the "not bothering the neighbors" angle too.

http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/jam
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthop View Post
    quaaludes are still available in South Africa, you can buy them on the interwebs. Are they really that different from modern opiates? asking for a friend..
    Since it's from an entirely different class of drug I'm going to guess that, yes, they're quite a bit different from opiates. There's certainly a few folks here old enough to possibly speak from firsthand experience. Where can you buy them online? Silk Road/deep web type deal, or a legit online business? Being able to buy a Sch. 1 controlled substance from a legit online vendor would be interesting to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by assman View Post
    The dude was an anomaly though. He had and intensely complicated job and smoked weed all day everyday never missing a day or fucking up at work. I am guessing he was just one of those people that shit just comes naturally to
    It doesn't take talent to practice.
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

Any other thoughts on the monoprice guitars that someone mentioned earlier? Or other suggestions for a cheap acoustic for a beginner that knows nothing about guitars?

Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg View Post
    Wait, is this you live? Best cover ever!

If I were a Finnish thrasher in an earlier life...SURE!
    Gravity. It's the law.