Knee twinges after touring

For days after touring (on skis) I get twinges in my knees, mainly when I do squatting motions (starts when I go down to about 45*). It's right in the centre line of my knee, maybe patella, bursa, mcl? I wonder if I'm doing damage and/or need to strengthen something. There's no locking, swelling, or other symptoms and they don't hurt otherwise. Happens in both knees. Not precipitated by any injury, just from touring. Doesn't really happen too much from lift skiing. I occasionally get some clunking in one but it doesn't seem related (not brought on by touring, only in one knee).

Touring = hiking and sliding with weights on your feet. For those who have a tight knee capsule (like me), the added mass on the lower leg can cause. you to grind your patella into your cartilage. I strengthen the shit out of my legs in the off season and stretch them.

I get a similar pain (although not as pronounced) in my knees. I find it occurs when I skin in my alpine boots (slackcountry missions off the ski hill). My alpine boots are Full Tilts and I use the maximum forward lean insert. What this means is that my knees are frequently flexed (if only slightly) when the terrain is flatish or low incline. In my touring boots, the pain has occurred on days where i mismanage my heel risers and find myself with the same prolonged bent knee phenomena described above. It's almost as thought it puts too much strain on my knee and I don't ever allow it to straighten out and relieve the pressure.
    Last edited by Angle Parking; 03-20-2016 at 07:52 PM.

I've got problem feet; flat, loose, bad pronation, loose ankles, etc... and found that without a supportive footbed that is ever so 'just right'; after many consequetive days of ski touring, the knees would protest with twinges (patella femoral syndrome?), low back pain would emerge, etc... Seems like those issues were helped a lot after installing rigid custom orthotics; problems haven't dissappeared completely but definitely an a/b comparison improvement after looking back on 25 years of ski touring. Good to build a house on a solid foundation. Daily standing quad muscle stretches seemed to help as well, in pre orthotic footbed years.
    Master of mediocrity.