Tahoe: 2-3' at lake level today

And occasionally bigger on the faces.

So what if it was pissing rain today. So what if Squaw was closed due to the weather. At least the wind was ripping, and personally, the second best thing to ripping turns on snow is ripping turns on waves. Unfortunately, the surf wasn't too big on the lake today on account of weaker winds than anticipated, but it was certainly rideable. A good way to spend the day if you're not skiing pow.

It was comfortable, and almost glassy near shore. Could have used a couple of more feet. Here are some pix of what it looks like on a day like today (none taken today, as I was solo). I've definitely seen it a couple of feet bigger, but that probably won't come until the winter storms return next fall... Wish I had shots of the best Tahoe storm surf, but they're all on slides.

Snowboarder Adam Hostetter heading out at Tahoe Vista.

A Squaw guy ripping up ironically named Ski Beach in NEVADA.

FKNA!
    And to think I used to laugh at the surfers on the Great Lakes!

Any windsurfers or kitesurfers out there?

catinthehaaaat

huckasoreass you are a moron...
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

schweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet! esp the 2nd pic

yah dood! i sure lake michigan when it gets similar conditions. i describe it as "legitimate shitty surfing."
    Craig Kelly is my co-pilot.

Buy Your Lift Tickets in Advance and Save

Quote Originally Posted by hop

That's totally photoshopped. You can't surf on a frickin' lake!

Quote Originally Posted by gonzo
    yah dood! i sure lake michigan when it gets similar conditions. i describe it as "legitimate shitty."

ahhhh....better.

Sick TR....

Should of named it "Balls of Freedom"....considering the lake is usually 42 F in mid August.

Quote Originally Posted by hop
    oh, man. Nice call hop.

First thing I thought of.

Gah! The fact that it was raining at 8500' skunked our ski plans today. And no biking either. Damnit! Should have surfed. But alas, I have no wetsuit. So that would have been like having a sex change operation. Zeeeeee lake...it is fucking cold, no?
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Oh, I'm sorry. Did I mislead some of you with the thread title? My bad.

Dammit, the waves are probably at their best tonight--it's now dark and the wind is howling harder than it did all day. Went for a second late afternoon session, but it wasn't any better. By the way, the lake typically peaks at about 62 degrees in shallow areas; now I'm guessing it is in the mid 40s. But the winds weren't all that strong today. Some days you'll come out of the water and walk thru the snow to your car, and your gloved hands can't clamp onto the car keys...

Anyone catch last month's Surfer mag? A really good story on two Californian pros visiting Lake Superior in ideal, albeit frigid conditions. Overhead waves, blowing off-shore, bluebird, and sub-zero temps and ice floes in the lineup. That's alot better and gnarlier than what we've got going here. And anything's better than the downpour outside right now.

rain......oh yeah!

As long as I get at least 500 feet of vertical on Friday in semi-winter snow....I'll be content.

Quote Originally Posted by skier666
    rain......oh yeah!

As long as I get at least 500 feet of vertical on Friday in semi-winter snow....I'll be content.
    Friday? I'm thinking of a day trip also...checking NOAA for weather, it says snow is likely tomorrow/tomorrow night. Where you going on Friday?
    "I just got back from the Psych ward...OBVIOUSLY i am sane!"

Last hour top of Palisades, 37` winds avg 55, gusts to 94. Oy ga vault!

It is even blowing and pissing in Truckee!

Quote Originally Posted by skier666
    rain......oh yeah!

yeah we bagged on the Cirque today. I got to the base of Kirkwood and called off AKA and Arty because it was raining at the base and it didn't look like it got to freezing much higher last night.

However, I couldn't bring myself to drive immediately back home with the day off and all. I drove down to Kay's Resort at Silver Lake got out and decided to go for a little tour in the rain. I skinned to the base of that big ass cliff on the west side (northwest?) of Thunder Mountain that stares at you as you come toward Kirkwood on 88. Damn big cliff when you're standing under it....kinda cool. Then the rain kinda stopped and I thought "hmmm...isn't there that chute around the corner that stares at you from 88 when you're driving to Kirkwood?"...so I skinned over to the base of that. I could see half way up it as the top was shrouded in blowing fog. But I thought...why the hell not? So I started climbing. The snow was actually firm. About a half inch of slush bonded to a firm base...Easy climbing. About 500 ft up though I hit the fog, couldn't see crap, and it started pouring. Damn can't stop now...besides I scoped this last Friday and the snow went to the top except for some rocks at the very, very top. So 20-30 minutes of climbing later I found myself at a small rockband at the top. Scooted over that and I was on a small patch of snow just below the top. Unfortunately, the snow didn't go exactly to the top so I clicked into my skis on this little snow patch above the rock band I climbed over. Sideslipped down to the rockband, kinda just sidehopped it...and then made slushy, rainy, turns in thick pea-soup super windy fog. It was actually kinda brutal...but I always wanted to ski that...and it was better than workin. (AKA and Arty you didn't miss nothin'...I was absolutely soaked when I got back to the car). Got a coffee at Kay's and was home by Noon.

Sorry for the hijack Huck...those waves look sick.
    Last edited by Tyrone Shoelaces; 05-18-2005 at 11:17 PM.
    Waste your time, read my crap, at:
    One Gear, Two Planks

Tyronne, rad that you went out and skied that line. You've been looking at that guy for years.
    The trumpet scatters its awful sound Over the graves of all lands Summoning all before the throne

Death and mankind shall be stunned When Nature arises To give account before the Judge

Damn fine job Shoe. Way to get some despite the conditions.

It's super windy here right now. Absolutely howling. Still relatively warm though. Looks like it all dies down Friday as a high is moving in. The corn harvest should begin this weekend (hopefully with some freezing at night).
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Quote Originally Posted by huckasoreass
    Bastardo! Although since I live here, I just thought you were smoking crack.

Dammit, the waves are probably at their best tonight--it's now dark and the wind is howling harder than it did all day. Went for a second late afternoon session, but it wasn't any better. By the way, the lake typically peaks at about 62 degrees in shallow areas; now I'm guessing it is in the mid 40s. But the winds weren't all that strong today. Some days you'll come out of the water and walk thru the snow to your car, and your gloved hands can't clamp onto the car keys...

Anyone catch last month's Surfer mag? A really good story on two Californian pros visiting Lake Superior in ideal, albeit frigid conditions. Overhead waves, blowing off-shore, bluebird, and sub-zero temps and ice floes in the lineup. That's alot better and gnarlier than what we've got going here. And anything's better than the downpour outside right now.
    If I only had a wetsuit...and a board...and a clue...

Scott, would you carve turns down a lava flow or a landslide if you could? I thought so....

Nice work, though. Too bad it's raining, this has been some May for us (wait, I mean you), huh?

Overhead waves, blowing off-shore, bluebird, and sub-zero temps and ice floes in the lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman
    oh, man. Nice call hop.

First thing I thought of.
    Me too. I really need to get out more.

Thumbs up

Good stuff huckasoreass! What kind of winds generate that?

Hostetter's single fin is sweeeet. Check this ouw. www.lakesurf.com

Lemme know if you'll be surfing OB anytime soon.

I saw that, it gave me a cold headache as I read. Early wake up and drinving through a blinding storm, for lake surf.