Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: truck help

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    A style of fuel injection system you can google it an lookat all the pictures/ read the text
    That's interesting. A bit over my head, at this time, but I think I understand the basics of how it works.
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Quote Originally Posted by shafty85 View Post
    Is that 350,000k or 350,000mi?

kilometers, so about 220k miles
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Found a few local trucks. Some gas, but mostly diesel - this is a region that prefers diesel to gas, so that is what is more readily available.

One of my biggest difficulties/struggles is finding reasons why a certain manufacturer is better, or worse, than the rest. Sure, every one of them seems to have, at one point or another, put out a model/year that was generally crappy. But, similarly, they all seem to have a model/year that was generally well built and liked. So, other than personal bias, why do people dislike Dodges and/or GMC and/or Chevy and/or Ford? I mean, there are a million and one stories online about why this brand, or that brand sucks/rocks because they had a bad/great experience with a vehicle. But, really, every vehicle is a gamble as to whether or not you'll be getting a lemon, or just one with more issues than normal, or one that never seems to need any work.

https://nanaimo.craigslist.ca/cto/5516161527.html
    http://comoxvalley.craigslist.ca/cto/5561248726.html
    http://comoxvalley.craigslist.ca/cto/5548209683.html

Need to do some more research on each model/year, but thought I'd throw it out to the general collective prior than digging too far into the interweb.
    My experience is that most truck people love one brand (the one they drive) and the other brands are all complete shit.

It's nonsensical.

I drive a GMC but there are things I like and dislike about all three big brands.
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    My experience is that most truck people love one brand (the one they drive) and the other brands are all complete shit. It's nonsensical.I drive a GMC but there are things I like and dislike about all three big brands.
    This couldn't be any more true. I've driven all 3 big brands diesels + Toyota Tacoma gasser + Toyota Hilux diesel's(2 of them) as daily drivers, and now I drive a Ford F-150. I would buy any one of them again, and not partial to any brand. My F-150 is just as reliable as my 12 Valve Cummins was as reliable as my 6.5 Chevy as was my 7.3 Ford.

Get the red one.

I strongly agree with the last two posts.

One is local (the 1-tonne) and the other (3/4) is a short ferry ride away. The GMC 3500 is an '06 and has the LBZ engine but significantly more kilometers on it. The F250 is am '07, is through a dealer (good? bad? used car sales people just have such bad reputations, though not sure if that remains a common issue) and looks like more of a work truck interior. Thoughts from anyone?
    Last edited by shafty85; 05-16-2016 at 01:13 PM.

Pm sent

Went with a 2006 GMC Sierra 3500 diesel

Went with a 2006 GMC Sierra 3500 diesel
    Sick. Pics?

Yeah, I'm stoked. Will get them up tomorrow after I take possession (went to pick it up with a cashier's cheque this afternoon, they spelled the seller's name wrong - Brain instead of Brian, so picking up tomorrow... )

Right on, looks like a good truck just not a ford. lol !!!

Thar she be
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Get a leveling kit, trust me. Otherwise, nice rig!

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Get a leveling kit, trust me!
    Completely agree. Cognito and fox shocks gave me a whole new ride with cranked bars and some meatier tires. Didn't care for the stock pizza cutter/16s.

Not that I don't trust you, but, what are the benefits/advantages?

Mine rides better and looks way better. You can run bigger tires if you want.

Blinding the incoming traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    Blinding the incoming traffic.
    BRO DOZER!!!!!

Blows over speed bumps without making bangs and thuds that I had with cranked stock tbars and keys. It also modifies angles so they return closer to stock despite the increased lift on the front end. The stock rake on the truck is pretty dumb.

Also, feel free to do a google search. Everything I read as benefits came true.

Quote Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
    Blows over speed bumps without making bangs and thuds that I had with cranked stock tbars and keys. It also modifies angles so they return closer to stock despite the increased lift on the front end. The stock rake on the truck is pretty dumb.

Also, feel free to do a google search. Everything I read as benefits came true.
    The passenger torsion bar had almost zero tension on my truck which resulted in bottoming out to the bump stops when I'd bump or pothole. Also, the shock mount was broken. Leveling kit significantly improved ride.

Goddamn - got in the truck and fired her up without letting her warm up (too used to driving gas). Anyway, now the check engine light is on and my OBDII scanner won't register the code. Not sure if it's because it is a non-emission issue or if it's a GMC specific code. Anyone got a program they use on their computer that will recognize GMC codes and/or transmission and ABS codes?

ETA - used my buddies scanner and, as suspected, it's a glow plug issue (years of driving gas, force of habit, jumped in a started it without letter her warm up - must have damaged one).
    Last edited by shafty85; 05-18-2016 at 11:33 PM.

an 06 still has glow plugs? shows what I know of duramax motors. That kind of sucks that not waiting to turn it over causes that much damage.

The glow plug was already on its way out. You didn't do any damage by starting it with the plugs on.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    The glow plug was already on its way out. You didn't do any damage by starting it with the plugs on.
    Codes may have been cleared before you were shown the truck and it took a couple of start-run-stop cycles to trigger them again.