Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Another Car thread: What would you do? Taco vs Outback

Looking to get a new ride. i have been price shopping and I have narrowed it down to a '16 Forrester 2.5i Premium with the 6sp manual or a similar '16 2.5' premium Outback. (no manual available) Based on the amount of money I have to spend I can get one of the two Subies OR I am seeing a lot of '13 -'14 Tacomas with ~40,000 miles. Been getting quotes for about 24k for the Forester and about ~27.k for the Outback, so that is the price range I am looking at for the Taco.

Looking for some discussion/input. Assuming interest rates are the same, is the new car, with a full warranty and better gas mileage worth not getting the truck? I really want the truck, but i am having trouble justifying it due to it being 2-3 years older, less MPG, etc.

Some info: I intend to buy a raft/trailer in the next 18-24 months, so the towing ability would be nice, but won't be really towing anything with any regularity until then. I am coming from a 1998 Jeep Cherokee, with 180k miles so anything is going to be major improvement. I also have a 1 year old and probably another one coming in the next year or so. Whatever vehicle I end up with will be daily driver and used for ski trips, camping, etc, etc

Any thoughts besides be a man and a good american and buy the damn pick up truck?

I was shopping for a taco 2 years ago and decided used ones were too much bought a brand new 14 for 30k, 4x4 access cab SR5 with towing package, wife has an outback they rally pretty good
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Why do you need/want a pickup? Has Subaru addressed their oil leak/burn issues? Don't new tacos have a lighter maintenance cycle on some of the bigger items? Were you thinking of the 4 door taco? How much space are on the back seats of those? Do you have a dog and will the dog join you for camping trips (considering interior space with 4 humans, one dog, and camping gear)? Turkish prison?

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Why do you need/want a pickup? Has Subaru addressed their oil leak/burn issues? Don't new tacos have a lighter maintenance cycle on some of the bigger items? Were you thinking of the 4 door taco? How much space are on the back seats of those? Do you have a dog and will the dog join you for camping trips (considering interior space with 4 humans, one dog, and camping gear)? Turkish prison?
    I would def want the 4 door taco, back seats are less roomy and less comfortable than the Outback, maybe a little less comfortable than the Forester. No dog. Not sure about the maintenance cycle. Supposedly the oil/head gaskets issues are fixed, but we really wont be able to say for sure until the newer ones hit 100,000 miles. My wife had an '03 Outback that shit the bed after overheating due to the head gasket issue, but supposedly the problem has been fixed since about '06.

Why do I want the truck? Hmm, my wife already has a Rav4 which is pretty similar to the Subaru, and I have never had a truck. I've had the jeep since 2001 and have always had a vehicle that could get pretty much anywhere I wanted to go, so I am not sure I am ready to give that up.

snoqpass- I agree about just buying a new one, based on the prices listed for used, but a 4x4 SR5 is looking like around 35K priced out on the toyota website and I just can't swing the extra cash as the 24-28K for the subie is kind of pushing it as it is ..
    Last edited by mrburns; 03-14-2016 at 07:19 PM.

I let Mrs do the negotiations, she roughed up the salesman
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Do you have a vagina?

I'm all about assigning the best resource to get the job done it comes from many years of using the Incident Command System, I'll check for the vagina some days I'm a bit of a pussy on the mountain

Get the truck. Unless you don't want to.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by snoqpass View Post
    I let Mrs do the negotiations, she roughed up the salesman
    My wife bought her car at a no haggle place, so no help there.

We skied Alpental three weeks ago, first time skiing in Washington, caught a nice little pow day and had a great time, nice place!

Quote Originally Posted by mrburns View Post
    Looking to get a new ride. I think I really need a truck. Its the best type of vehicle you could possibly own
    Exactly

One thought - gas won't be "cheap" forever...
    Gravity. It's the law.

Get and enjoy the truck before gas gets too expensive or your kids (possibly) get too big.

If the Rav4 is going to be the primary kid hauler, get the truck. If not, get the Outback or maybe Forester. We have 19 MO twins (plus small dog sometimes) in a 2013 4Runner, and even that can feel tight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Subaru

Taco

www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    If the Rav4 is going to be the primary kid hauler, get the truck. If not, get the Outback or maybe Forester. We have 19 MO twins (plus small dog sometimes) in a 2013 4Runner, and even that can feel tight.
    Is there more room in the back seat of the new Outback than the old ones? I know a backward child seat was a pain in the ass and it's not like once I turned it around we were swimming in room. I'm 6'2" and owned a 2006 and now a 2004.

I'd get the truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Taco

F-350

FIFY
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    Is there more room in the back seat of the new Outback than the old ones? I know a backward child seat was a pain in the ass and it's not like once I turned it around we were swimming in room. I'm 6'2" and owned a 2006 and now a 2004.

I'd get the truck.
    15+ outbacks have a lot more leg and head room than previous models. It is pretty absurd that they increased cabin room in all seats and the trunk without making the car much bigger than a 2014. But it is a superior ride and car on all accounts so far. I am over 6'2 and fit comfortably in the heated reclining back seats. 3 abreast is great and nothing like my 2nd gen outback or the forester.

That said, just get the 2015 from anywhere you can find it. I went limited with only durability upgrades like seat back protectors and similar. I would recommend this car and get the door moulding. I have had so many door dings that would have been saved by those. You will like the ride. If you are towing, go for the 6cyl.

Tacos are great but cost more and the fuel economy stinks. If you dont need the truck bed or do not intend to tow light weight trailers often, go for the Outback.
    Someone once told me that I ski like a Scandinavian angel.

I'd say get the 4Runner

I had a 1st gen ('99) Outback and it was a total lemon. The automatic transmission was retarded when it came to shifting, especially on hills. It had the oil burning problems. Fuel efficiency was pretty meh, like 25 mpg. Interior finish was flimsy plastic, and the cupholders blocked the radio... none of the controls were backlit. It drove great on the snow though.

After work took away my 1st gen Tundra ( ), I got a '10 Forester XT. Once again, drove nicely, but not as well in the snow (even managed to get it stuck once). Rear seat was roomy, but the front seats were uncomfortable to me (5'10"). Interior still felt chintzy. Fuel economy was pretty bad for a 4cyl... 21mpg. Had 1 issue where a spark plug rattled loose (WTF). Sold it at 90k miles because I didn't love it.

Bought a '13 Tacoma DC TRD OR. I'm at 77k miles on it already, and pretty happy. Most of the gripes are somewhat minor. The original windshield howled when a crosswind hit it (and Toyota said was normal), but the Safelite replacement I got doesn't. The mileage isn't great (18mpg), but it's a freaking V6 4WD truck. The TRD DC only comes with a short bed, so skis have to go in the bed diagonally, but even my 192s fit. I liked the bench seat on my OG Tundra better. Only mechanical issue was some retard at the dealer dropped an oil cap and didn't retrieve it, causing it to puncture the radiator. Overall though, I don't regret what I consider a trade-up. I'm sure it will last until like 300k. My brother's '01 Tacoma has over 300k miles on it now with no major work.

My vote: stay away from Subaru. Tacomas aren't perfect, but they will haul you and your toys forever.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    I'd say get the 4Runner
    Second.

i say truck. clearance is good on the subie and it drives pretty good, but after owning a Tundra for a couple of years, i've found it extremely useful. it's amazing how easy it is now to move firewood, ladders, furniture etc. Also the higher clearance of the truck over my subaru is much better suited to deep snow driving (i live on a challenging steep snowy road), desert driving and mountain camping.

Black taco
    watch out for snakes

I have both. Totally different vehicles.

Tacoma if you don't care about mileage. It was close to $60 per fill last year. The towing performance isn't exactly incredible, but it gets the job done. It's been really low maintenance. Just regular intervals. Just did the 100k transmission service.

'08 Subaru is much more enjoyable to drive. Burns oil, but it's within specification. I haven't had any issues with head gaskets and I am at ~145,000 miles. Great snow car. Averaging ~30 with a lot of highway miles. ~25 with more town miles and a cargo box.

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Subaru

Taco

Specifically double cab tacomas are popular with the pro fallers in Northern california

Quote Originally Posted by claymond View Post
    Specifically double cab tacomas are popular with the pro fallers in Northern california
    That is not my observation.

If the OP wants a vehicle that will reasonably go 200-300k miles, Toyota is a certainty. Saying the same about a subi is pure speculation. If that is not important, then disregard.

My observation is that some people with a growing family may move past a truck as their daily drive but keep the truck and use it as an extension of their toolbox.