Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    We have a 2016 Outback Ltd as well. It serves a different purpose than the Crosstrek, and I am quite aware of the +/- of both models. My first post in this thread was addressing the Taco vs
    Now I am completely confused about why you have this thread if you have a new Outback Limited, an old Crosstrek and now a new Crosstrek if you were trying to weigh the pros and cons of the Outback and Tacoma but went with a very different car. It seems more like you should have been comparing the Tacoma and Crosstrek, which are very different cars with very little in common for demand (for a one car quiver).

*The XV thread is pretty old, and yes, I was active in it...a post or two maybe. Oh -- and I STARTED THE THREAD.
    I know. It was meant to be ironic and I think a few people got it.
    Someone once told me that I ski like a Scandinavian angel.

Quote Originally Posted by axebiker View Post
    Anyway, forgot to mention that the 16 Outback's handling seems improved to me, and I think the wheels and tires have a lot to do with that. The taller sidewalls on the 13 seemed a bit more "mushy" (with both factory and replacement tires), and seemed to add to the body roll feeling in corners. The tires always seemed a little "balloon-y" if that makes any sense. The 16 feels more "connected" to the road and to myself. The ride quality didn't seem to suffer however. No science there - just my opinion.
    Handling is far superior to the 2014 and a nod better than the Gen2 and Gen3 outbacks. The inner wheel braking on the 2015+ on sharper corners allows a much smoother turn without the roll felt in older models. While the wheelbase is a tiny bit wider and longer, I dont see this playing in much traction improvement. I have a strong sensation of handling improvement in cornering in the Gen 5 outback over previous models with a balanced ride that any who drives my car appreciates. It has a loss of power going around corners on inclines but the compression braking on the CVT is good and fits the car well.
    Someone once told me that I ski like a Scandinavian angel.

Quote Originally Posted by jcolingham View Post
    Now I am completely confused about why you have this thread if you have a new Outback Limited, an old Crosstrek and now a new Crosstrek if you were trying to weigh the pros and cons of the Outback and Tacoma but went with a very different car. It seems more like you should have been comparing the Tacoma and Crosstrek, which are very different cars with very little in common for demand (for a one car quiver).

I know. It was meant to be ironic and I think a few people got it.
    Glad you could make it back, and had a "little time" to formulate your well thought out response.

So yeah... I have a new 2016 Outback that we traded our '13 Outback in for. I also have a new 2106 Crosstrek, traded the '13 CT in for that. I think that gives me plenty "fodder" to contribute to this thread. The CT is my daily driver. The OB is what my wife drives, and is our "trip car". Where you came up with me "having this thread"...well...I just don't get where you're coming from. I'm not weighing pros/cons. I can only tell the pros of the OB. Yet somehow YOU brought up the CT in the thread before I ever mentioned it. So - let's talk about "confusing"...

Yes - I noticed you managed to bump the CT thread to try to make some kind of point (???), although I think you were the only one who "got it". Ironically.

Cheers!
    Gravity. It's the law.

Is the "trip car" in day glow?

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Is the "trip car" in day glow?
    tie-dye...
    Gravity. It's the law.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Yes, yes, I have heard much of that to justify owning a, ahem, truck, although the chicken thing is new. Really. Chickens? How many times, if ever, do you transport........chickens?

Have you heard of delivery? When I ordered a cord or two of wood for five years, the dude delivered it. Pass him an extra 50, and he stacked it with the help of a young Mexican. Plywood? Again, have it delivered. You know, maybe 50-100 for the few times every decade you need plywood, vs 40 grand for a stupid pickup truck. Large appliances? For fucks sake, they fucking DELIVER that shit for a small fee, then they fucking INSTALL it, too. Really.

I would own a pickup if I was really into dirty, muddy MTB, but, I'm not.
    Chickens get hauled once a year. Appliances less than that, plywood and Sheetrock occasionally. That's not the point; the point is that all these little trips add up, and I have found myself glad to have the pickup on many, many occasions. I also commute from my bedroom to my office, about 20 feet, so the truck sits idle most days, so mileage is not a concern. Don't need a truck, like most of humanity? Good for you. In my case, it gets used for more than getting groceries. Ymmv.

And who the fuck pays $40k for a truck?

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    I also commute from my bedroom to my office, about 20 feet, so the truck sits idle most days, so mileage is not a concern.
    Good thing...you're usually drunk!
    Gravity. It's the law.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Sierra Skier View Post
    Attachment 178360

Take a look at that truck bro. That is a good looking ride. 2015 Tacoma V6 TRD Sport 6 sp manual trans.
    Which would you rather have? I think your choice is clear. Do it! You deserve it. Pic taken in the MT Rose parking lot.
    What's the point of a truck bed if you can't even put your skis in it?

Quote Originally Posted by axebiker View Post
    Good thing...you're usually drunk!
    "Of course I'm drunk... That's the point!" - Andy Capp

From the pro-Outback camp (someone wanting a Taco/F150Eco/Frontier, but knows the Outback is the practical choice):

Jalopnik clickbait, but with some good ideas: http://indefinitelywild.gizmodo.com/...mob-1716068985

Also, this beastly lifted '15 Outback. He went above and beyond to build a unique overland adventure rig, but it shows some ideas and capabilities: http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...-Outback-build and photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/yokota...57651790735398

I started following the WagonofDoom a while ago. Good stuff and worth wading throughout . That thing is beastly. Easier to just buy a 4 Runner though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Scientist View Post

Jalopnik clickbait, but with some good ideas: http://indefinitelywild.gizmodo.com/...mob-1716068985
    Does you really need all that shit to drive a fireroad in California?

Quote Originally Posted by char_ View Post
    Does you really need all that shit to drive a fireroad in California?
    Sure, the Kia, Land Rover LR2, Corolla and CR-V all reached camp
    Apparently not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

I can only assume that guy is a rep for ARB, Maxxis and Ruffwear.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    I started following the WagonofDoom a while ago. Good stuff and worth wading throughout . That thing is beastly. Easier to just buy a 4 Runner though.
    The Subu wagon adventure mobile is a cool idea, but at the end of the day what are you going to do with this thing? He has tons of cool gimmicks but why not just start with a more capable platform, instead of trying to create something that cannot be. You can't really "off-road" it as it is a unibody framed wagon. You don't need anything he has on it to go down most fire roads as stated.

Funny bias here; only people who drive on dirt roads, possibly raising chickens, really need trucks. Oh yeah, and the occasional contractor. Apparently the whole world is rural.

Let me introduce this American phenomenon called a small business. You may have heard of one. We usually need a pick up or cargo van to haul stuff. Maybe to customers, maybe from suppliers or the warehouse, maybe to the dump. We live in a city. We don't need to compensate for much of anything, just cheaper than hiring/renting, and a write-off. Also rocks for loading with skis.

As far as Tacos and reliability, am grieving cuz just donated my 97 4-Runner to charity. 249,000 miles. Straight 4, manual, 4 wheel, one of the early ones with leaf springs; a covered Taco. Until its transfer case died, nothing ever happened except tires and batteries, one clutch. Never had the engine apart (chain belt). RIP.

I had a stock 88 4runner with a 22re manual transmission that i still regret selling in 2008, so i hear you (^^^) on that.

Aside the dual purpose of an awd/4wd vehicle for driving in snow country (which is not an absolute necessity) and adventuring off the beaten track, there are many purpose-built vehicles for cargo hauling like the transit, freightliner, and nv200. There are also many 2wd pick-ups and minivans that meet these needs, especially for the non-rural-based small biz owners.

Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    Got the 16 taco.

Got heated seats without tech package, $500 dealer-installed. You won't know the difference.

The auto is miserly and up-shift happy. Has a "tow mode" which defeats this and improves throttle response. 3.5L Motor doesn't pull until 4k.

Truck is sexy and I love having a tail gate, but if I could do it over I'd with the F-150: CAVERNOUS back seat, 2.7L Eco motor blows the Toyota's new 3.5 out of the water (Really)
    quoted for truth. We run new eco boost 2.7 TT F150 for our works trucks and they are seriously strong motors. 0-60 in less than 7 second. Hauls a couple thousand lb of gear, and get over 20 mpg.

Taco V Outback?

Saw this in my neighborhood tonight.

Problem solved

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Taco V Outback?

Saw this in my neighborhood tonight.

Problem solved
    Thule box on the roof and north shore rack out back...done