Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Tacos are fuggin' expensive! And they get terrible gas mileage. Even older ones with tons of miles and several dents are selling for like $15,000!
    But Subarus are for hippies and lesbians, so I'm not sure what to tell you.
    Leave No Turn Unstoned!

If you're going to get shitty gas mileage anyways why not buy a nice full-size truck for half the price of taco? Nice big bed, power to tow stuff and you can actually pass people on hills.

If you are planning on two kids soon just turn in your man card and find a AWD minivan. It'll be the best utilitarian choice you make in many years. It will also be cheaper than the other two options. Don't forget tinted windows for nooners with the wife if you play your cards right.
    Last edited by fatnslow; 03-16-2016 at 12:44 PM.

The FB engine is a huge improvement over the EJ engine that was blowing headgaskets until they started putting MLS gaskets in all of them the last couple of years they were going into Foresters and Outbacks and even then a (very) few of them still had issues. They supposedly have separate cooling circuits for the head and the block now to keep the expansion contraction issues to a minimum but technical information on other improvements seems hard to verify since nobody is taking them down on their own yet. I've been scanning the forums and you can't find one (FB engine) that has blown headgaskets but some of the early FB's (2014 and older - I think Forester got the FB in 2011 Outback in 2012??) had oil control ring issues which Subaru is now addressing by replacing the shortblocks. The 2015+ (maybe sooner on some of them) come with updated oil control rings that are said to have fixed that problem. I'd buy one. The EJ headgasket problem is mostly gone now that they are almost all retrofitted with MLS gaskets.

That said the Toyota Tacoma is the better bet for long term reliability because of its heritage. I don't have experience with Tacos but our 03 Runner has been many times more reliable than our 02 Subaru and the Subie has been a decent car. The newest Tacos come with the 3.5L (Toyota calling it an Atkinson Cycle engine on my instagram feed) that should improve mileage over the venerable 4.0L that they are still putting in the 4Runners. That might be reason enough to buy a new one if the stupid resale values don't scare you away from used versions.

I was looking at Consumers Reports the other day and both the Outback and Toyota's are at the very top of the reliability rankings going back 4-5 years. The Outback has made strides comparing to the GEN 2 (that I own - still going) and Gen 3 (05-09). Anybody complaining about a Gen 1 has to remember that they are driving a very old car and equivalent Tacos have mostly been bought back by Toyota because of frame rust.

Well, I am not sure if it makes me a lesbian, but I pulled the trigger on a Forester 2.5i with a 6 sp manual this morning, picking it up tomorrow. pretty stoked about it! I can't disagree with anything you guys said about the truck being an overall better, more manly, lumberjack vehicle, but it came down to my budget. I couldn't make myself buy a used Taco for the same money as a brand new Forester. Right now it just made sense, and we're thinking we will go with the truck when it's time for the Rav to get traded in. Thanks for all the replies, love the wealth of knowledge around this place.

https://youtu.be/qF-9_z3Qv5A

Quote Originally Posted by mrburns View Post
    Well, I am not sure if it makes me a lesbian, but I pulled the trigger on a Forester 2.5i with a 6 sp manual this morning, picking it up tomorrow. pretty stoked about it! I can't disagree with anything you guys said about the truck being an overall better, more manly, lumberjack vehicle, but it came down to my budget. I couldn't make myself buy a used Taco for the same money as a brand new Forester. Right now it just made sense, and we're thinking we will go with the truck when it's time for the Rav to get traded in. Thanks for all the replies, love the wealth of knowledge around this place.

https://youtu.be/qF-9_z3Qv5A
    Congrats! That is what I'd buy if I thought my family would fit.

It saddens me to think everyone here was not a fan of the Forrester but you went that route. At least you didnt get a Crosstrek.
    Someone once told me that I ski like a Scandinavian angel.

Quote Originally Posted by jcolingham View Post
    It saddens me to think everyone here was not a fan of the Forrester but you went that route. At least you didnt get a Crosstrek.
    Sounds like an askhole.

90% of the time buying a PU truck is like a 50 year old dentist who has only resort skied all his life buying a full BC rig, including ABS pack. A fantasy decision except for the 10% who are in construction or actually drive on dirt or unplowed roads (and not just in their imagination). But if you're insecure in your manhood or image is important to you, then by all means buy the Taco.
    (And if you do decide to do the practical thing that does NOT mean a minivan, unless you intend to have more than 3 kids. Suby's and 4Runners have been plenty big enough to raise 2 kids for us.)

Quote Originally Posted by mrburns View Post

Any thoughts besides be a man and a good american and buy the damn pick up truck?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0691.jpg 
Views:	361 
Size:	269.6 KB 
ID:	178360

Take a look at that truck bro. That is a good looking ride. 2015 Tacoma V6 TRD Sport 6 sp manual trans.
    Which would you rather have? I think your choice is clear. Do it! You deserve it. Pic taken in the MT Rose parking lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Sierra Skier View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0691.jpg 
Views:	361 
Size:	269.6 KB 
ID:	178360

Take a look at that truck bro. That is a good looking ride. 2015 Tacoma V6 TRD Sport 6 sp manual trans.
    Which would you rather have? I think your choice is clear. Do it! You deserve it. Pic taken in the MT Rose parking lot.
    I didn't realize you could buy that truck with a 6 speed manual. 2016 same deal with the new engine. I want one.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    I didn't realize you could buy that truck with a 6 speed manual. 2016 same deal with the new engine. I want one.
    Yeah, but it's getting harder every year. The main issue is manual trans is only available in a limited number of configurations. You want
    TRD Off Road package, automatic trans only. Want a full size bed? Not available. The 2016 has a sun/moon roof option. Not available with a manual trannie. Also certain colors not available with manual.

Interesting regarding the 2016 Taco is that the automatic is shown as having better gas mileage than the stick shift. Has something to do with the new engine. Just an FYI. I love my 2015. This is my 4th Toyota truck I've owned, first new one. Never sold one with less than 250,000 miles on it and still running strong. Follow the maintenance schedule, use synthetic fluids, and replace parts as recommended ie water pump, belts, idler pulleys etc. Million miles is totally doable.
    Cheers

There are good reasons to have a truck besides the off-road ability. I love being able to not hassle with roof racks or bike racks... just chuck whatever in the bed. I also really appreciate having the cargo area separate and cut off from the cabin, because it doesn't matter how filthy/wet/smelly my bike/skis/climbing shoes are.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Sierra Skier View Post
    I love my 2015. This is my 4th Toyota truck I've owned, first new one. Never sold one with less than 250,000 miles on it and still running strong. Follow the maintenance schedule, use synthetic fluids, and replace parts as recommended ie water pump, belts, idler pulleys etc. Million miles is totally doable.
    Cheers
    Yep. We have an 03 4R with 193k and it runs like new.

Boy, I'm really disappointed that I decided to buy that brand new Toyota Tacoma. Said nobody, ever...
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Boy, I'm really disappointed that I decided to buy that brand new Toyota Tacoma. Said nobody, ever...
    I quite often glance wistfully at Tundras and wish I'd got one of them instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Get the Forester instead of the Outback. The latter has a hideous proprietary roof rack system that both Thule and Yakima make no base systems for.

A pickup truck? Really? Why? Oh, why?

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    I did. Bought a new '12 double cab long bed with a topper and just didn't love it. There were a lot of little things that had a cumulative effect on me. I drove it for a year and a half and traded it in for a 4Runner and have never regretted it. I traded it in for $600 less than I bought it for or I wouldn't have done it. Pretty much drove it for free. Love the 4 Runner!

^^^ That's interesting. We were vaguely contemplating replacing my old Cherokee with a double cab Taco but went with the 4Runner (glad in retrospect). But a lot of that was kid stuff. What was your motivation?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post

Straight out of Forbes magazine.
    Women dig guys in trucks.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgorze.../#46a985c3c30e

Article does not mention anything about men driving Forester's.

love my taco and the six speed is great

Quote Originally Posted by jcolingham View Post
    At least you didnt get a Crosstrek.
    Please...enlighten me on what is wrong with the Crosstrek. I'd love to hear this.
    Gravity. It's the law.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    I'm in my second Tundra, this time a 2011, with a cap. Love it; awesome for car camping, we leave all our gear in the back seat, and sleep in the rear bed. Goes places an RV can't. Hauls plywood, firewood, large appliances, hay bales, junk to the landfill, etc; and on slaughter day, we can toss 20 chickens in the bed without stinking up the cab, then hose it out later.

Not everyone needs a pickup, but for me, it's a necessity.

Quote Originally Posted by axebiker View Post
    Please...enlighten me on what is wrong with the Crosstrek. I'd love to hear this.
    Toyota Prius is faster.
    Perhaps you'd be more comfortable on epicski or Paula's Ski Lovers, AltaNancy.

Quote Originally Posted by dynodonkeyaltabird View Post
    Toyota Prius is faster.
    Our Prius V wagon is the slowest car in our stable but we really like it. 80k on the clock with zero problems and it is huge inside. We get 40+ on family roadtrips at high speed and my wife gets 44-48 going back and forth to work. Never fails that everyone who looks at it or gets in it comments on how big the interior is...because it is. All I do is change the oil every 10k and we put a little fuel in it to keep it running. Dick swingers might not like them but they are great little cars.

All these cars are good cars. Toyota puts a 6 speed manual in an awesome truck but then only lets you get a 5 foot bed so a man can't sleep in the back. Honestly I think I'd sleep better in the back of our Prius V but at least our old 4R lets me sleep flat and straight. Still worth looking at because of that sexy 6 speed manual and the double cab. A quick internet search reveals they are about impossible to find, especially with the tow package. I'd spec one just like Car and Driver did here but maybe spend the extra 2k for the tech package I don't want just to get heated seats.

All that being said I'm having knee surgery Monday and on FMLA for a little bit after so I am only shopping not buying.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/how-wed...toyota-tacoma/

Edit to add: We went and looked at a 2016 double cab today. No way a family can own one of those to go places with. Sweet ride for couples with one small kid.
    Last edited by uglymoney; 03-19-2016 at 05:39 PM.