Close call Tonquin Valley

[QUOTE“I can’t even explain why I did it. I just skied across the feature I just told Sean to avoid,”][/QUOTE]

Wow. So lucky in so many ways, incredible story. So glad he is here to ski another day and has a good attitude about it.

I often try to be mindful about impulsivity, and that one brief moment where for reasons unexplainable even to ourselves in hindsight, why we as humans sometimes make that split second decision where we might not be able to mitigate the outcome. Those times where you think "oh I can get across this windslab, it will probly break underneath me if anything"...And we've all gotten away with that one, but as with the tragic cornice failure story in Oregon, sometimes you just don't.

I don't mean to be critical of anything but the way we are just not emotionally programmed to calculate the odds well enough to not include "luck" as always one factor in our favor not to take for granted. In the end our assessments will always to some degree be psychologically flawed in the infinite variables of nature. Hopefully that makes sense.
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

Story seems to be getting around. Same article at Powdercanada.com;

http://powdercanada.com/2016/03/jasp...s-3-avalanche/

Crazy story.

He's lucky. Are there any pictures of the area, or any pointers for where to look on google maps?

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    He's lucky. Are there any pictures of the area, or any pointers for where to look on google maps?
    http://www.tonquinvalley.com/maps.html

Crazy... I was in the area at that time on a solo trip. Just meadow skipping for me, though.
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

whoa. glad he's ok. Dana's a machine. a very lucky machine it seems. been hearing of his exploits for a while now. heal up dooood