Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Study Shows Small or Solo Groups Safer in BC

Interesting food for thought, a study by Wilderness & Environmental Medicine shows traveling in small groups or solo is safer. Obviously, the idea of smaller groups being safer is nothing new, but solo too. This certainly reveals some interesting issues with group dynamics and group think and how humans operate. It certainly suggests that as group size increases, risk tolerance or acceptance increases, and how those going solo tend to dial down the risk and dial up the cautiousness. Thoughts?

http://www.wemjournal.org/article/S1...461-5/fulltext

Risk of Avalanche Involvement in Winter Backcountry Recreation: The Advantage of Small Groups
    Last edited by blazes_boylan; 03-10-2016 at 11:55 AM. Reason: fixed link

We found higher avalanche risk for groups of 4 or more people and lower risk for people traveling alone and in groups of 2. The relative risk of group size 4, 5, and 6 was higher compared with the reference group size of 2 in the Swiss and Italian dataset. The relative risk for people traveling alone was not significantly different compared with the reference group size of 2 in the Italian dataset but was lower in the Swiss dataset.
    Conclusions

These findings are in accordance with avalanche safety recommendations regarding the higher risk of large groups but not regarding lower risks of people traveling alone in avalanche terrain, which is not recommended and requires great caution.
    Hah!! They don't like their own data vis a vis solo travel:

'our data shows the same or lower risk for solo travellers, BUT DON"T LISTEN TO THAT SOLO TRAVEL IS RECKLESS'

I have felt this way for a long time. I love skiing with my friends, but when a planned objective starts to snowball into a clusterfuck of 4 or more people I make other plans, for this reason among others. Of course this most applies in complex avy terrain with unproven snowpack stability. If stability is indisputable and terrain more straight forward it lends itself better to safety and fun as a group. Otherwise, the bigger a group gets the more you all have to be on the exact same wavelength, but unfortunately the reverse is more often the case with increasingly complex social dynamics. I wish it weren't true but it is in most cases in my experience.

I only ski backcountry solo if I have to, preferably in the most unquestionably stable of times or in the most manageable terrain possible. Besides the snowpack, safety in the mountains whether solo or in groupls large or small, is all in how you define "skiing" and "terrain". Both of which encompass an infinite variety of possibilities. There are stupider things to do in life that people do all the time and there is no shaming society for those behaviours... Most of my ski partners don't share my work schedule, so it's not often that things line up. You can't eliminate all risk in anything, and sometimes it's just your time to go mark up those lines that are ripe for the picking.
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

My unscientific anecdotal personal evidence is that I am far more conservative skiing or hiking by myself than I am even with a single partner, far more likely to back off due to time/weather/conditions/etc - and for the most part I even move more slowly.

But that whole "having an accident when you are solo" thing sounds like a bummer...

when a planned objective starts to snowball into a clusterfuck of 4 or more people I make other plans
    Skiing, biking, kayaking. You name it.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Soloing. Subconscious attunement with one's environment; it doesn't emerge to the same depth in one's mind connection with the environment when travelling in groups, for me at least. Maybe my brain is a little 'different'. wink emoticon ...I suspect because humans evolved in a social context and our consciousness is in part fundamentally based on emotional connection with others...beyond the distraction of vocalized communication, hearing others' gear noise, wondering about pacing, route finding that is correct for the group/partner, etc...if the 'mirror neurons' are firing, as they will in the presence of another human being, the mind is unable to absorb and process the undistilled purity of all the little subtle and gross cues from nature... I also suspect that the same 'mirror neurons' have evolved to, in the context of a human being alone in nature, serve the purpose of heightening sensitivity and awareness of the context of intrinsic hazards in nature both living and non living, and also, the rewarding joys of the experience of man in nature...and can be 'trained' like any other skill, to gain in specific performance mental/neural 'fitness'. In my experience and opinion anyways.

On the other hand human psychology has also developed the highly useful function of denial; if we all lived with the awareness of every single boogyman in life at the forefront of our thoughts for every waking moment, well, we would never leave the cave or perform any activity or employment where the continuous exposure to hazards could maim or kill... All just speculation and could be the case of 'a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing'.

Growing up in in the northwestern British Columbia town of Prince Rupert (rainiest city in Canada), i was born into a culture of self sufficiency in an extreme environment where role models of soloists presented themselves in all aspects of outdoor life. I was surrounded by fishermen who made a living alone in their boats out on the ocean, a mountaineering mentor who basically lived half his life in his cabin 1700 feet up the mountain into his 70's, routinely mountaineered regionally and solo bushwhacked around his place in the rain forest schnarb. Beyond him, there were the solo 'extreme' bush fishermen, bushwhacking into remote lakes in the pissing rain, the solo goat hunters, the solo kayakers, etc.... My interest in back country skiing developed in the late teens in the late 80's. At that point had already enough experience in rainforest bushwhack hiking to get past the totally ignorant fool stage. But for skiing...nobody else was doing it locally, so I read a few books, bought some securafixes, modified grandpa's skins to fit me skis....and just did it...no other options other than riding the t-bar, salivating at the 'out of bounds pow' and dreaming. Been 'doing it' ever since.

For me, backcountry soloing whether it be hiking or skiing feels more 'normal' than in a group. Still enjoy the social aspect of groups but it's like junk food; tastes good but too much can make you sick. Kidding of course; love touring with my buds but not just not every. single. time.
    Last edited by swissiphic; 03-10-2016 at 02:22 PM.
    Master of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    Soloing. Subconscious attunement; it doesn't emerge to the same depth in one's mind connection with the environment when travelling in groups, for me at least. Maybe my brain is a little 'different'. wink emoticon ...I suspect because humans evolved in a social context and our consciousness is in part fundamentally based on emotional connection with others...beyond the distraction of vocalized communication, hearing others' gear noise, wondering about pacing, route finding that is correct for the group/partner, etc...if the 'mirror neurons' are firing, as they will in the presence of another human being, the mind is unable to absorb and process the undistilled purity of all the little subtle and gross cues from nature... I also suspect that the same 'mirror neurons' have evolved to, in the context of a human being alone in nature, serve the purpose of heightening sensitivity and awareness of the context of intrinsic hazards in nature, and also, the rewarding joys of the experience of man in nature...and can be 'trained' like any other skill, to gain in specific performance mental/neural 'fitness'. In my experience and opinion anyways. On the other hand human psychology has also developed the highly useful function of denial, so maybe I'm completely out to lunch here...all just speculation and could be the case of 'a little bit of knowledge is s dangerous thing'.

Growing up in in the northwestern British Columbia town of Prince Rupert (rainiest city in Canada), i was born into a culture of self sufficiency in an extreme environment where role models of soloists presented themselves in all aspects of outdoor life. I was surrounded by fishermen who made a living alone in their boats out on the ocean, a mountaineering mentor who basically lived half his life in his cabin 1700 feet up the mountain into his 70's, routinely mountaineered regionally and solo bushwhacked around his place in the rain forest schnarb. Beyond him, there were the solo 'extreme' bush fishermen, bushwhacking into remote lakes in the pissing rain, the solo goat hunters, the solo kayakers, etc.... My interest in back country skiing developed in the late teens in the late 80's...nobody else was doing it locally, so I read a few books, bought some securafixes, modified grandpa's skins to fit me skis....and just did it...no other options other than riding the t-bar, salivating at the 'out of bounds pow' and dreaming. Been 'doing it' ever since. For me, soloing is more 'normal' than skiing in a group. Still enjoy the social aspect of groups but it's like junk food; tastes good but too much can make you sick. Kidding of course; love touring with my buds but not every. single. time.
    Yup. Spent more time solo in the wilds than in company of others; grew up that way. And I prefer it.
    That said, with the right individual, a party of two can be very enjoyable and allows for certain adventuring that being solo might preclude.

Interesting insights, swissiphic, thanks for sharing your perspective!
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

I'm WAY more conservative when I ski BC alone.. I readily acknowledge that part of it is the danger of group think mentality, and part of it is that I'm scared of what could happen in an emergency.

Solo only here.

Safe-ish as I can eliminate 2 big issues; group think and potential faulty leader decisions in a group.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Question for the experienced; how do you shut off your solo mindset when in a group? what type of changes would you make?

What about guided terrain and in snow conditions you are not familiar with?

How do you guys deal with other groups when you are out solo? Groups that are not guided, but traveling in avalanche terrain with questionable routes and protocols?
    Terje was right.

^ to the last point, just avoid them. that's one of the really nice things about being solo. you can almost always push faster to get past them or just change your route up, unless you're booting up a couloir with no other way up or something.

Question for the masses: When you're skiing solo in an isolated area where you're unlikely encounter many if any other people, do you take a beacon and probe? On a solo multiday trip?

I generally don't with the caveat that I'm not going to go out solo to an isolated area when there's much avy risk. It's more of a weight/space issue, but I could see a reasonable argument on the other side that's better to be safe than sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    Question for the masses: When you're skiing solo in an isolated area where you're unlikely encounter many if any other people, do you take a beacon and probe? On a solo multiday trip?

I generally don't with the caveat that I'm not going to go out solo to an isolated area when there's much avy risk. It's more of a weight/space issue, but I could see a reasonable argument on the other side that's better to be safe than sorry.
    Dunno how much it matters to the buried person, but probe lines suck. Not finding their loved one until spring sucks even more.

Always feel safest when I am alone or in a small group. My decision making process is definitely altered and there is a lot of things I just don't do (solo anyway).

A few years back, i mentioned this to local who is an internationally recognized search and rescue guru. I expected him to scold me but he said, i know what you mean and added that he felt the same way. He cited various research (mostly paddling related) attesting to much the same facts stated above. The findings of this study are by no means anything new, this has been known for a long long time. Does the presence of a group of human beings pose, or at least contribute to greater threats than avalanches, crevasses and the such? It would appear so.

Now what would be interesting would be to see some statistics with regards to rates of accidents, avalanche fatalities etc under the leadership of professional guides as opposed to without professional guides.
    Last edited by Angle Parking; 03-15-2016 at 08:48 PM.

I always wear a beacon, even inbounds on big days.
    I want my friends to be able to find me fast, so they can go home and maybe pour a little out.

I've had three solo friends pass, that wouldn't, if they had a partner. Two were shallow partial burials and one got flushed through some trees, broke his leg, then froze to death.

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parking View Post
    Always feel safest when I am alone or in a small group. My decision making process is definitely altered and there is a lot of things I just don't do (solo anyway).

A few years back, i mentioned this to local who is an internationally recognized search and rescue guru. I expected him to scold me but he said, i know what you mean and added that he felt the same way. He cited various research (mostly paddling related) attesting to much the same facts stated above. The findings of this study are by no means anything new, this has been known for a long long time. Does the presence of a group of human beings pose, or at least contribute to greater threats than avalanches, crevasses and the such? It would appear so.

Now what would be interesting would be to see some statistics with regards to rates of accidents, avalanche fatalities etc under the leadership of professional guides as opposed to without professional guides.
    Even skiing inbounds I feel safer skiing by myself or with one or maybe two partners who are on the same wavelength. Get in a group of hard chargers and the pressure is felt to push it too hard. In the bc the consequences are greater.

Re; body retrieval; I agree with BCMountainHound. I also always carry the shovel and probe too 'cause solo or not, there are always snowpits to dig, weak layers and shallow snowpack areas etc... to probe.

Soloing offers that opportunity while unencumbered by the demands of the flow, distraction, etc... of the group, to just pick and prod your way around the mountains, sniffing, poking, probing, shoveling and stopping and really taking the time to stick your nose in it and smell the snowpack. Stuff liking taking the time to practice getting a feel for the amount of resistance probing varying densities of snowpack layers and how much pushing pressure or not it takes in relation to the measured data in yer pit.
    Master of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by DasBlunt View Post
    Question for the experienced; how do you shut off your solo mindset when in a group? what type of changes would you make?
    -- Kinda hummed and hawed this question...I suppose for me, that solo mindset is ever present whether in groups or not...which is probably why as time goes on and i'm noticing some potential cognitive dissonance, I'm ski touring alone more, in groups less.

Having said that, I find that these days, very rare group ski tour days are green lighted for mellow missions on specific predetermined objectives in mellowish terrain and stable snowpack conditions, good snow quality and predictable weather where the odds are highly stacked in favor of a day where one can simply enjoy a group dynamic and social interaction...a day where the concern for avalanches due to the terrain and snowpack are small to nill and the more realistically issues are unlikely to possibly be random injury or gear failure. Days to laugh and whoohoo.

If those factors don't line up and if it's a social day for perhaps a big line objective, then i'm skiing with an experienced buddy or two max that I know intimately and have a pretty good idea of the their basic nature and character traits and how to interact throughout the day....lots of comments and little observations vocalized all day long. Have a morning 'guides meeting' to identify the concerns of the day and variables that may be considered and post ski tour debrief....informal.

How do you guys deal with other groups when you are out solo? Groups that are not guided, but traveling in avalanche terrain with questionable routes and protocols?

--If possible, complete avoidance. There have been a handful of times over the years in the Shames mtn. sidecountry where I've observed folks triggering smaller avies, potentially caught, descending past field of vision...full rescue mindset ensued, full gas givin'er to skin over to where I could get a view and see if I could assist, and thankfully all occurrences skiers/boarders skied out of smallish slides. But it kinda ruins a chunk of your peaceful, zen, solo outing...'specially when after casually approaching group and diplomatically mentioning snowpack and terrain concerns in relation to the occurrence and getting a response of attitude or 'yeah, well shit happens in the back country'; fair enough, everyone has their own willingness to take risk, personal decision; I just don't want their personal decisions to affect mine.

So, if possible, I go where i'm completely alone without the worry of groups above triggering avies or groups below in the line of fire, or in view of their potential mishaps, etc... It's an unempathetic, selfish, narskissitic perspective but that's the way it is. Thankfully where I live generally allows this luxury and indulgence in further entrenching of this potential antisocial character flaw and I totally realize that other necks of the woods don't...
    Last edited by swissiphic; 03-16-2016 at 01:41 PM.
    Master of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by blazes_boylan View Post
    Interesting food for thought, a study by Wilderness & Environmental Medicine shows traveling in small groups or solo is safer. Obviously, the idea of smaller groups being safer is nothing new, but solo too. This certainly reveals some interesting issues with group dynamics and group think and how humans operate. It certainly suggests that as group size increases, risk tolerance or acceptance increases, and how those going solo tend to dial down the risk and dial up the cautiousness. Thoughts?

http://www.wemjournal.org/article/S1...461-5/fulltext

Risk of Avalanche Involvement in Winter Backcountry Recreation: The Advantage of Small Groups
    My thoughts-

1) The take-away from this study is leading the OP and (to a lesser extent) the authors of the study into a fallacy of unwarranted extrapolation. The trivial, non-trivial, and unique local effects responsible for the [avalanche-related] accidents that occur in the alpine and glaciated ski zones in Switzerland and Italy are being read into the great global phenomena of avalanche [death] accidents.

2) Avalanche fatality data available through the Utah Avalanche Center appears to contradict the OP’s/Study hypothesis. Below is a simple table that illustrates the correlation between group size and avalanche deaths among skiers/snowboarders in Utah between 2004 and 2016.

Date..........Group Size......Death
    1/31/2016...........1....................1
    1/21/2016...........2...................1
    3/4/2015............2...................1
    4/11/2013............1....................1
    2/23/2012.........2....................1
    1/28/2012..........3....................1
    11/13/2011...........2....................1
    3/26/2011...........7....................1
    1/27/2010...........3....................1
    1/24/2010...........2....................1
    12/14/2008.........2...................1
    12/23/2007........2...................1
    2/21/2007..........3....................1
    2/18/2007..........3....................1
    4/3/2006 ...........2....................1
    3/11/2006..........2....................1
    1/14/2005..........5....................1
    1/8/2005...........2.....................1
    12/10/2004......2......................1
    Note: Avalanche Fatality Details between 1987 and 2003 not available. Currently transferring paper docs to UAC website.
    Source: https://utahavalanchecenter.org/avalanches/fatalities

Summary:
    13 of 19 deaths involved group size of 2 or less. (what the study considers small)
    17 of 19 deaths involved group size of 3 or less. (what I would consider small)
    2 of 19 deaths involved group size greater than 4.

from the looks of it I reckon the opposite of the proposed hypothesis hold true about smaller group dynamics / group think and safer travel in avalanche terrain, at least here in Utah.
    style matters...

Aside from summer corn skiing, I wear a beacon and bring the shovel and probe as well when solo. In addition to what Swiss and bcmtnhound said, its nice to be prepared to assist others in a search should they need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Run Silent Run Deep View Post
    My thoughts-

1) The take-away from this study is leading the OP and (to a lesser extent) the authors of the study into a fallacy of unwarranted extrapolation. The trivial, non-trivial, and unique local effects responsible for the [avalanche-related] accidents that occur in the alpine and glaciated ski zones in Switzerland and Italy are being read into the great global phenomena of avalanche [death] accidents.

2) Avalanche fatality data available through the Utah Avalanche Center appears to contradict the OP’s/Study hypothesis. Below is a simple table that illustrates the correlation between group size and avalanche deaths among skiers/snowboarders in Utah between 2004 and 2016.

Date..........Group Size......Death
    1/31/2016...........1....................1
    1/21/2016...........2...................1
    3/4/2015............2...................1
    4/11/2013............1....................1
    2/23/2012.........2....................1
    1/28/2012..........3....................1
    11/13/2011...........2....................1
    3/26/2011...........7....................1
    1/27/2010...........3....................1
    1/24/2010...........2....................1
    12/14/2008.........2...................1
    12/23/2007........2...................1
    2/21/2007..........3....................1
    2/18/2007..........3....................1
    4/3/2006...........2....................1
    3/11/2006..........2....................1
    1/14/2005..........5....................1
    1/8/2005...........2.....................1
    12/10/2004......2......................1
    Note: Avalanche Fatality Details between 1987 and 2003 not available. Currently transferring paper docs to UAC website.
    Source: https://utahavalanchecenter.org/avalanches/fatalities

Summary:
    13 of 19 deaths involved group size of 2 or less. (what the study considers small)
    17 of 19 deaths involved group size of 3 or less. (what I would consider small)
    2 of 19 deaths involved group size greater than 4.

from the looks of it I reckon the opposite of the proposed hypothesis hold true about smaller group dynamics / group think and safer travel in avalanche terrain, at least here in Utah.
    I take your point, but unless you're controlling for group size, that data is relatively meaningless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Not for avalanche purposes, no. Probe on glacier/ for cornices, shovel for digging in on overnighters. If I'm soloing somewhere remote with none of those considerations, none of them. I can't feel shit in a snowpack with a probe, I'll poke near surface layers with my pole, but I don't find probe resistance to ever give me useful information. Getting a little bit more morbid, the way I look at beacons, my body is worthless without consciousness, but a little bit less weight will let me ascend a slope just that little bit faster every single time and in that aspect adds to the safety margin just a little bit. So again, if there isn't enough traffic to think someone might be skiing near me, or be looking around and have the equipment to reach me within half an hour, it's really a gadget with relatively little use.

Always beacon and my Sat panic button, but sometimes not the airbag with shovel and probe.

Usually more about how much food/water I want to carry, than worrying about safety. Considering the stuff to survive over night is in my pack, probably should wear more often.

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    -- Kinda hummed and hawed this question...I suppose for me, that solo mindset is ever present whether in groups or not...which is probably why as time goes on and i'm noticing some potential cognitive dissonance, I'm ski touring alone more, in groups less.

Having said that, I find that these days, very rare group ski tour days are green lighted for mellow missions on specific predetermined objectives in mellowish terrain and stable snowpack conditions, good snow quality and predictable weather where the odds are highly stacked in favor of a day where one can simply enjoy a group dynamic and social interaction...a day where the concern for avalanches due to the terrain and snowpack are small to nill and the more realistically issues are unlikely to possibly be random injury or gear failure. Days to laugh and whoohoo.

If those factors don't line up and if it's a social day for perhaps a big line objective, then i'm skiing with an experienced buddy or two max that I know intimately and have a pretty good idea of the their basic nature and character traits and how to interact throughout the day....lots of comments and little observations vocalized all day long. Have a morning 'guides meeting' to identify the concerns of the day and variables that may be considered and post ski tour debrief....informal.

--If possible, complete avoidance. There have been a handful of times over the years in the Shames mtn. sidecountry where I've observed folks triggering smaller avies, potentially caught, descending past field of vision...full rescue mindset ensued, full gas givin'er to skin over to where I could get a view and see if I could assist, and thankfully all occurrences skiers/boarders skied out of smallish slides. But it kinda ruins a chunk of your peaceful, zen, solo outing...'specially when after casually approaching group and diplomatically mentioning snowpack and terrain concerns in relation to the occurrence and getting a response of attitude or 'yeah, well shit happens in the back country'; fair enough, everyone has their own willingness to take risk, personal decision; I just don't want their personal decisions to affect mine.

So, if possible, I go where i'm completely alone without the worry of groups above triggering avies or groups below in the line of fire, or in view of their potential mishaps, etc... It's an unempathetic, selfish, narskissitic perspective but that's the way it is. Thankfully where I live generally allows this luxury and indulgence in further entrenching of this potential antisocial character flaw and I totally realize that other necks of the woods don't...
    Thanks, i really think it helps everyone to hear experienced people's mindsets and thought process
    Terje was right.