Help With a Broken Binding

I just came back from a 4 day trip to Taos. Halfway through my last day, one of my bindings became pretty loose. The guy at the rental shop took the heel piece off and discovered the problem. There is a spring in the heel piece of the binding which applies pressure to the adjustment screw that is used to move the piece along the track. The spring appears to have rusted out and broke at some point. I have no idea how to explain it any better than that, I have a limited knowledge of binding parts.

To me it looks like a rather simple fix. I need a new spring thing. The bindings are Atomic STH 16's. I was told they are basically Salomon.

Has anyone ran into this situation? Am I even making any sense?

The binding is 2 seasons old and I was told it should be covered under warranty. Problem is, I bought them 2nd hand from a guy who lives 5 hours away. Should I contact Salomon? Atomic? The retailer (who I didnt buy directly from)?

Any advice would be helpful as I've not run into this scenario before and the thought of my skis being out of commission makes me ill.

Thanks,
    E

A stainless steel worm screw covered in grease rusted-out in only two seasons?! Sounds odd.
    How have they been stored? Do you often travel cross country with them exposed in a rack on the top of your car?

I'd go the warranty route if I were you. Doesn't matter if you bought them second hand.
    Last edited by DropCliffsNotBombs; 03-11-2016 at 03:40 PM.
    Leave No Turn Unstoned!

Quote Originally Posted by DropCliffsNotBombs View Post
    A stainless steel worm screw covered in grease rusted-out in only two seasons?! Sounds odd.
    How have they been stored? Do you often travel cross country with them exposed in a rack on the top of your car?

I'd go the warranty route if I were you. Doesn't matter if you bought them second hand.
    No they are always in the car when traveling. Stored indoors as well. Not even that much use on them probably about 30 days in all. I thought it was weird as well.

Any idea on how to use the warranty? Just take them to a Salomon authorized retailer?

Just take them to a retailer. The date is stamped on the binding, and salomon and atomic bindings have a 5 year warranty

Quote Originally Posted by tenB View Post
    Just take them to a retailer. The date is stamped on the binding, and salomon and atomic bindings have a 5 year warranty
    They dropped it to only two years a few years back.

Always better if you have a relationship with a good shop. If they hook you up, you do the same!