Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Anybody modded tech fittings to non-tech boots?

Put me the misery slipper crowd. Torched many trees in the name of managing bark beetle (such treatment is a farce for mtn pine beetle mgmt at anything even approaching epidemic levels btw, but it is good money if the access conditions are right). But slipping on skis would only be useful on the in and out, and not at the patch site. I wouldn't run saw, or even buck and pile on any ski that would have length enough to support me on any snowpack over my knees. Too long and unwieldy, especially the length in front of the toes.

I cam to say snowshoes, duh. Or just ski in on whatevers with the workboots in a pack.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Yea, we do wear snowshoes but gliding on skis should be faster and way more efficient.
    This is just for access, I'm not gonna be falling trees with skis on......
    MtnApproach is waaaay overpriced.
    Altai looks more appealing.
    But both seem short, looking for full size fatties to support me with 50+ pounds of gear on my back.
    That DIY rig is more my budget. And style.
    Do what you like, Like what you do.

That purofoot boot is really popular in the mining industry and with bush workers up here, safety rated, traction wise almost as good as a caulk boot and a lot lighter

I think OP needs some kind of hinged binding that any boot will buckle into, mount on whatever wide shortish ski, for traction get skin scrapes and glue them to the base with contact cement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTIPN0DAqwY

Extreme snow shoeing, good soundtrack^^ by Jah Wobble, the Yupi ski shoe has the kind of hinged binding OP needs that will take any boot, its mounted on an aluminum deck with W2W purple ascension skin glued to the base, is no longer made but if can find them used get em

I have tried them
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by gwat View Post
    Yea, we do wear snowshoes but gliding on skis should be faster and way more efficient.
    But both seem short, looking for full size fatties to support me with 50+ pounds of gear on my back.
    Rip a big fat snowboard in half, attach skin scraps, find a universal binding of some kind. That's ghetto if you want ghetto.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

I think find some old fatties maybe some really beat up spats and cut them down shorter

At HBM 15-20 yrs ago there was an eclectic group of hard boot snow boarders who made approach skis & bindings out of kids skis/ scraps of skin/ door hinges/ heavy wire for way cheaper than a split board

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I think find some old fatties maybe some really beat up spats and cut them down shorter

At HBM 15-20 yrs ago there was an eclectic group of hard boot snow boarders who made approach skis & bindings out of kids skis/ scraps of skin/ door hinges/ heavy wire for way cheaper than a split board
    Big diff between a 'splitboard' and some old dumpster snowboard cut in half. More float than a kid's ski. scary as shit on hard snow.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

Quote Originally Posted by gwat View Post
    I'm over 250 with a pack on and the 145 cm Hoks support me fine in deep unconsolidated snow. They're 110mm underfoot with little sidecut. They are talking about pressing some 165 and 175 cm Hoks for next year. Most people are surprised at how "ski like" the Hoks are. You could go the diy route depending how much you value your time.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Big diff between a 'splitboard' and some old dumpster snowboard cut in half. More float than a kid's ski. scary as shit on hard snow.
    the binding is the harder part of the equation to figure out then op can put them on some board that is preferably dirt cheap

I tried those Yupi's on a supportive frozen crust and they slid around quite a bit but they do have downhill glide

I think a snow shoe with ice cleat would probably have been better on a crust but then a snow shoe doesn't glide

has OP tired snow shoes, might be better all around?

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I would look at some kind of strap on

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Or just ski in on whatevers with the workboots in a pack.

voice of reason?

It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot